Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: We need a beast WR

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    Are you suggesting that it can be dangerous dealing away future number one picks for unproven players?

Ozzie is on record saying he would never deal a future 1st round pick again.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    It would probably take the Ravens first,second and third round picks to move from 32 to 15.Not sure it's such a great idea for a team with the Ravens needs to be swapping three for one when you consider the fact that beyond the first few picks there is a much greater chance of a bust.
    To jump off your point, had we done that last year ) not that you're advocating we do) then we just traded Courtney Upshaw, Osemele, and Pierce for a receiver.

Worth it?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Wide receiver is about the last position they should spend a boatload of picks to move up and get. Of the top 25 WRs in receiving yards last season, 14 were drafted after round 1 (or undrafted), and an additional 4 were drafted after pick 20 in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    We have Torrey and Pitta as our only real receiving threats. Jacoby has bad hands and none of the other guys have shown much and were 4th round or later picks.

A young, explosive, physical WR that can start and impact ASAP would give our OFF a huge boost.

I know Patterson is perceived as raw and perhaps lacking in playbook knowledge, but he is a threat to score whenever he gets the ball.
    All true, but the main reason our playoff offense looked night and day better than the regular season was that Flacco had a ton of time.

Obviously you can argue Caldwell's scheme helped somewhat. But the McKinnie for Bobby Williams/Jah Reid switch along with the associated movement that put Oher and Osemele at better positions for them was the primary reason, imo.

I'll take Flacco with time with a lesser WR ahead of Flacco running for his life with a greater WR. That said, I admitted I think we need a WR. But if I had a choice between a top 2-3 LT draftee and a top 2-3 WR draftee, I take the LT all day, every day, and 10 times on Sunday.

And of course, we are talking about a non-existent chance of either. Ozzie is not going to use multiple picks to move up that far. He likely will trade back if anything. At most he could trade up a couple spots using one middle round pick, if someone he considered a steal slipped to the mid-late 20's spot.

Would be a far reach, but if Ozzie was to move up it has to be Austin. Replace Boldin toughness with crazy speed Austin and Flacco will be in top 5 for yards. It would be Amazing if Ozzie could get Austin.

But no Austin, just trade down and get your LT, Armstead, and hope another first round talent falls with a rush early on QB's. I'm super pumped for this draft. More Ravens will soon take birth. And Ozzie is serious about defining the Title.
    I'm happy to be a Ravens Fan, purple pride

Blog Entries

Doss, LaQuan, DReed, Deonte, Streeter: Out of those 5, all you need is for the light to go on for one of them & for one other to be an adequate depth guy, & the receiving corps is good to go.

I'd shore up the OL & draft a top-notch TE to bookend Pitta before I'd look at WR.

I don't know how likely it is, but if they wanted to move up a few picks in the 1st round, we could part ways with our 5th and two tradeable 6ths. That still leaves us with a comp pick 5th and 6th.

If they draft 12 players, a third, maybe even half wont make the final roster. Why not use our picks we can trade as ammo to move up to get guys we want instead of waiting for them to fall?

I'm not sure what anyone else's definition is of "beast" may be, but if you are looking at 1st start impact guys then Austin, Patton, Hopkins, Wheaton, Rogers and Bumphis.

Save Austin, you can get them in rounds two through four; possibly five with Bumphis. No need to burn picks.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Doss, LaQuan, DReed, Deonte, Streeter: Out of those 5, all you need is for the light to go on for one of them & for one other to be an adequate depth guy, & the receiving corps is good to go.

I'd shore up the OL & draft a top-notch TE to bookend Pitta before I'd look at WR.
    Yes because it is that easy for the light to just go "on" for one of them. There is a reason they were late round picks or UDFAs.

Personally, I am not comfortable waiting on a hope and a prayer for our plethora of 4th-7th rd and UDFA WRs to suddenly turn into solid players. I know the sample size is small for some of them. And for some of them it has been injuries - but if you can't stay healthy then you are worthless anyway.

What if Torrey gets hurt? We have nothing.

In fact, this is the first year Joe won't have a 30+ year old veteran WR. His entire career he has had guys like Mason and Boldin.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm not sure what anyone else's definition is of "beast" may be, but if you are looking at 1st start impact guys then Austin, Patton, Hopkins, Wheaton, Rogers and Bumphis.

Save Austin, you can get them in rounds two through four; possibly five with Bumphis. No need to burn picks.
    I just think it needs to be a pick within rds. 1-3. I know that the higher rounds might not give a direct coorelation to them turning out, but I have to believe it is still higher than relying on a 4th-5th rounder to turn into a gem.

We already have our fair share of 4th-7th rd WRs that so far have done nothing.

It took Torrey 3 games into his first season to turn into an importance piece of the offense. And yes, I know we've been burned by guys like Clayton and Travis, but we can't be scared to spend a high pick at WR.

Here is an interesting stat (drop) analysis of some of the top incoming WRs:

Not sure why guys like Rogers and Hopkins aren't listed. Either their drop % exceeded the range or they were just left off for another reason.
    Last edited by bt12483; 03-29-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

I think when some folks say "beast" receiver they are looking for that big-bodied/dominant player.

Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas...all are tall, muscular, fast, and explosive.

Cordarelle Patterson may be the most "like" those guys...but he is still pretty raw IMO.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think when some folks say "beast" receiver they are looking for that big-bodied/dominant player.

Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas...all are tall, muscular, fast, and explosive.

Cordarelle Patterson may be the most "like" those guys...but he is still pretty raw IMO.
    You got it. In general that would be my preference.

But I would be satisfied with a clear impact player at WR. Torrey was an impact player year one. Same year Doss was drafted.

Like I said above, I don't know if continually waiting until rds. 4 or later to get WR "talent" is the way to go since we have a lot of those guys on the roster that have yet to contribute.

Again. What if Torrey is injured? Our WR depth doesn't look too hot.

I think we'll draft a receiver but it won't be in the first round in my opinion. Here's hoping we go either LT or safety. I'm pretty sure Ozzie being as savvy as he is will continue to go bargain shopping for a receiver all the way up to training camp.
    He will not trade away half his draft to move up in the first round nor will he give away a future first round pick. After the Boller experiment went bad he vowed he wouldn't follow this path again.