Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10111213 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: We need a beast WR

The only team with a "beast receiver" that has a realistic shot to win the Super Bowl is Denver. It certainly helps when you have Peyton Manning throwing you the ball as well as Wes Welker, Eric Decker and Moreno. But the Ravens did beat them last year.

If a beast receiver is there when the Ravens pick in the 1st, then go for it. But don't trade any high picks to get one. Stick with best player on the board.

Edit - just realized this thread was started before the last draft. But my answer is still the same.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    The only team with a "beast receiver" that has a realistic shot to win the Super Bowl is Denver. It certainly helps when you have Peyton Manning throwing you the ball as well as Wes Welker, Eric Decker and Moreno. But the Ravens did beat them last year.

If a beast receiver is there when the Ravens pick in the 1st, then go for it. But don't trade any high picks to get one. Stick with best player on the board.

Edit - just realized this thread was started before the last draft. But my answer is still the same.
    I would like to make my first post a rebuttal to this. I likely consider a lot more teams as legitimate super bowl contenders however, seeing as I cheer for a team that just won the super bowl when no one thought they had a shot.

Also, I'm not a fan of this 'beast' term. What this team needs is not a 'beast', they just need a receiver who consistently draws double coverage and can beat it on a semi-regular basis, a true No. 1. There are a lot of receivers who fit that criteria but not this mandatory 6'5 225lbs 'beast' thing everyone keeps mentioning.

New England- Rob Gronkowski. This guy is as much a No. 1 'receiving threat' as anyone in this league not named Megatron. Just look at how Tom played without him and how quickly that offense turned around with him. From an offensive standpoint I think they're in a bit of trouble now, although their stable of Running backs should carry the load.

Miami- No huge receiving threat, receiving core and O-Line has about the same amount of talent as Baltimore, but also ranked right there with the Ravens in passing offense (No. 18 vs 19)

Cincinatti- AJ Green.

Indianapolis- Reggie Wayne. Injured for the season and that offense has not looked the same since he went down.

Denver- Demaryious Thomas. And then a slew of No. 1 or 2 receivers behind him. Julius Thomas has emerged as maybe the no 3 or 4 tight end in the league. Welker is still quite consistent and Decker is a good no 2 on any team, let alone a 3. This team is just sick with weapons. Throw in a real nice stable of backs and linemen.

Kansas City- No true no. 1. Big running game. No. 17 in overall offense, 24 in passing.

Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson. Definitely not the 'beast' description but he consistently gets the ball and puts up good numbers. Still think he's a bit of a jackass however.

Dallas- Dez Bryant.

Detroit- Calvin Johnson.

Chicago- Brandon Marshall and an emerging Alshon Jeffery

Green Bay- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb. Now I wouldn't say that either of these players are bona fide no .1 receivers but as a no 1a and 1b option they make for a hard pair to cover, add in a nice no 3 in James Jones. Just having a receiver like one of these two across from Torrey would be nice.

New Orleans- Jimmy Graham. See Rob Gronkowski.

Carolina- No true no.1. No. 25 in total offense, no. 29 in passing.

Seattle- No true no. 1 although they do have a formidable weapon in Percy Harvin waiting in the wings. No. 11 in offense, no 21 in passing.

San Francisco- No True No. 1 although Vernon Davis often looks like a Gronk/Graham, and when he does that offense clicks. Also, Crabtree was emerging as a true no. 1 at the end of last season. Kaepernick has not looked like the same QB all year without him. Boldin has not been able to elevate the 49ers passing attack because he is simply a decent No. 2 possession guy for the past 5 years of his career. His inability to elevate the passing attack also gives credence to all those who said Joe has not ever had a No 1 receiver, despite the media always trotting Boldin out as just that. No 27 in total offense NO 32 in passing.

Arizona- Larry Fitzgerald.

Now to me this shows that while having a true No 1 is not necessary, it is more of the norm for the good teams than the exception. There is without a doubt more than one team with super bowl potential who has a no .1 or 'beast' receiver. And its also worth noting that almost all teams without one rank in the lower half of the NFL in passing, and typically in the lower half in total offense. The teams that survive without the no. 1 receiver all have a good to great defense along with a good to great running game or qb to offset their lack of passing prowess.

And now onto the Ravens.

Last year when Caldwell took over something seemed to wake up in Anquan Boldin and he decided he was going to be among the best receivers in the league right up until winning the Superbowl. When Joe had his legitimate No. 1 for those 6-8 games (can't remember off the top of my head) Joe was without a doubt among, if not the best QB in the NFL. He was complimented by a nice no 2 in Torrey , no. 3 in Jones, a very reliable and clutch TE in Pitta and a solid line.

Fast forward to present day, the line as we all know is in shambles. Beyond that we have a No. 1a-b type receiver in Torrey Smith, a player who is capable of huge plays but does not have the ability to beat double coverage. And unfortunately due to this lack of weapons behind him, Double Coverage is all Torrey gets. Jones is still a nice no. 3, Brown is a surprising UDFA Rookie who would fill in nice as a No 3-4 on most teams at this point in his young career. On top of it all, theres been no reliable TE all year (until now).

This teams no 1 need is Wide Receiver. More so than Center or Tackle. This team has nice pieces on the line and hopefully the holes can be filled with cheaper veterans. Most of the problems on the line have been due to scheme changes and bad coaching from what I've seen. This teams offense will never take off until they get a WR who is a threat opposite of Torrey, if only to drag some of the double coverage off.

And no, the WR does not have to be 6'5 225 lbs. Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee would be fine options if we were lucky enough to have a shot at one of the two.
    Last edited by JonAB; 12-09-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Double Quote

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    I would like to make my first post a rebuttal to this. I likely consider a lot more teams as legitimate super bowl contenders however, seeing as I cheer for a team that just won the super bowl when no one thought they had a shot.

Also, I'm not a fan of this 'beast' term. What this team needs is not a 'beast', they just need a receiver who consistently draws double coverage and can beat it on a semi-regular basis, a true No. 1. There are a lot of receivers who fit that criteria but not this mandatory 6'5 225lbs 'beast' thing everyone keeps mentioning.

New England- Rob Gronkowski. This guy is as much a No. 1 'receiving threat' as anyone in this league not named Megatron. Just look at how Tom played without him and how quickly that offense turned around with him. From an offensive standpoint I think they're in a bit of trouble now, although their stable of Running backs should carry the load.

Miami- No huge receiving threat, receiving core and O-Line has about the same amount of talent as Baltimore, but also ranked right there with the Ravens in passing offense (No. 18 vs 19)

Cincinatti- AJ Green.

Indianapolis- Reggie Wayne. Injured for the season and that offense has not looked the same since he went down.

Denver- Demaryious Thomas. And then a slew of No. 1 or 2 receivers behind him. Julius Thomas has emerged as maybe the no 3 or 4 tight end in the league. Welker is still quite consistent and Decker is a good no 2 on any team, let alone a 3. This team is just sick with weapons. Throw in a real nice stable of backs and linemen.

Kansas City- No true no. 1. Big running game. No. 17 in overall offense, 24 in passing.

Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson. Definitely not the 'beast' description but he consistently gets the ball and puts up good numbers. Still think he's a bit of a jackass however.

Dallas- Dez Bryant.

Detroit- Calvin Johnson.

Chicago- Brandon Marshall and an emerging Alshon Jeffery

Green Bay- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb. Now I wouldn't say that either of these players are bona fide no .1 receivers but as a no 1a and 1b option they make for a hard pair to cover, add in a nice no 3 in James Jones. Just having a receiver like one of these two across from Torrey would be nice.

New Orleans- Jimmy Graham. See Rob Gronkowski.

Carolina- No true no.1. No. 25 in total offense, no. 29 in passing.

Seattle- No true no. 1 although they do have a formidable weapon in Percy Harvin waiting in the wings. No. 11 in offense, no 21 in passing.

San Francisco- No True No. 1 although Vernon Davis often looks like a Gronk/Graham, and when he does that offense clicks. Also, Crabtree was emerging as a true no. 1 at the end of last season. Kaepernick has not looked like the same QB all year without him. Boldin has not been able to elevate the 49ers passing attack because he is simply a decent No. 2 possession guy for the past 5 years of his career. His inability to elevate the passing attack also gives credence to all those who said Joe has not ever had a No 1 receiver, despite the media always trotting Boldin out as just that. No 27 in total offense NO 32 in passing.

Arizona- Larry Fitzgerald.

Now to me this shows that while having a true No 1 is not necessary, it is more of the norm for the good teams than the exception. There is without a doubt more than one team with super bowl potential who has a no .1 or 'beast' receiver. And its also worth noting that almost all teams without one rank in the lower half of the NFL in passing, and typically in the lower half in total offense. The teams that survive without the no. 1 receiver all have a good to great defense along with a good to great running game or qb to offset their lack of passing prowess.

And now onto the Ravens.

Last year when Caldwell took over something seemed to wake up in Anquan Boldin and he decided he was going to be among the best receivers in the league right up until winning the Superbowl. When Joe had his legitimate No. 1 for those 6-8 games (can't remember off the top of my head) Joe was without a doubt among, if not the best QB in the NFL. He was complimented by a nice no 2 in Torrey , no. 3 in Jones, a very reliable and clutch TE in Pitta and a solid line.

Fast forward to present day, the line as we all know is in shambles. Beyond that we have a No. 1a-b type receiver in Torrey Smith, a player who is capable of huge plays but does not have the ability to beat double coverage. And unfortunately due to this lack of weapons behind him, Double Coverage is all Torrey gets. Jones is still a nice no. 3, Brown is a surprising UDFA Rookie who would fill in nice as a No 3-4 on most teams at this point in his young career. On top of it all, theres been no reliable TE all year (until now).

This teams no 1 need is Wide Receiver. More so than Center or Tackle. This team has nice pieces on the line and hopefully the holes can be filled with cheaper veterans. Most of the problems on the line have been due to scheme changes and bad coaching from what I've seen. This teams offense will never take off until they get a WR who is a threat opposite of Torrey, if only to drag some of the double coverage off.

And no, the WR does not have to be 6'5 225 lbs. Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee would be fine options if we were lucky enough to have a shot at one of the two.
    Good post. I agree.

Personally, I tend to favor bigger receivers because you can't coach height. However, you can't coach speed either. I'd love to have an Antonio Brown type of player opposite of Torrey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Watching these Chicago WRs really makes you see what our corp lacks.

They jump up and snag anything remotely in their vicinity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Well it can't be any lower.

I know. I am just jealous of the WRs some of these other QBs are blessed with.

Dez. Julio. Demaryius. etc.
    Atlanta gave up the farm for Julio and now it's him and the GM down by the junk yard, I mean school yard. Be careful what you wish for. AS for DEZ, we beat him last year w/o him after he was arrested for beating up his mother and ripping her bra off. Only reason he wasn't in jail when we played him was because she dropped the charges but is not invited back into his own home. NE gave Oz the chance to trade up for him when they had Dallas on the other line and he said no thanks.

I hear Boldin is just a 1 yr rental in SF. You'd probably like him back.

The Atlanta Falcons general manager traded five picks for a wide receiver, the University of Alabama’s Julio Jones, on April 28, 2011.

“Dimitroff swapped the franchise for Jones. Now it’s just he and Julio down by the schoolyard.” — NFL blogger.

“Wide receivers have had their girlfriends burn down their house. Wide receivers take phone calls in the end zone. Wide receivers shoot themselves in the leg. General manager Thomas Dimitroff should be forced to walk the pigskin plank for orchestrating this foul-sounding yet predictable disaster.’’ — Sports Illustrated blogger.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-09-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Watching these Chicago WRs really makes you see what our corp lacks.

They jump up and snag anything remotely in their vicinity.
    I hear you but that's also a function of scheme. Trestman works matchups in conjunction with concepts to get these guys open. Our receivers have to basically beat their guy every time out in order to get open.

On the bright side I think Marlon Brown will be that type of receiver and will be even faster next year after fully recovering from ACL surgery.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Atlanta gave up the farm for Julio and now it's him and the GM down by the junk yard, I mean school yard. Be careful what you wish for. AS for DEZ, we beat him last year w/o him after he was arrested for beating up his mother and ripping her bra off. Only reason he wasn't in jail when we played him was because she dropped the charges but is not invited back into his own home. NE gave Oz the chance to trade up for him when they had Dallas on the other line and he said no thanks.

I hear Boldin is just a 1 yr rental in SF. You'd probably like him back.

The Atlanta Falcons general manager traded five picks for a wide receiver, the University of Alabama’s Julio Jones, on April 28, 2011.

“Dimitroff swapped the franchise for Jones. Now it’s just he and Julio down by the schoolyard.” — NFL blogger.

“Wide receivers have had their girlfriends burn down their house. Wide receivers take phone calls in the end zone. Wide receivers shoot themselves in the leg. General manager Thomas Dimitroff should be forced to walk the pigskin plank for orchestrating this foul-sounding yet predictable disaster.’’ — Sports Illustrated blogger.
    No one said give up the farm. No one said anything about boldin. Did you just see that Jeffrey catch? He was a second rd pick. outside of Torrey, Ozzie seems scared to draft a wr above rd 4.

Alshon Jeffrey just made a ridiculous catch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Yup. Our WRs rarely pull in such contested passes.

He's really blossoming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

And another even more ridiculous catch lol

And another even more ridiculous catch lol
    Wow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.