Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Re: We need a beast WR

I actually haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Mike Evans. Doesn't seem like much a route runner. Just a big body.

Blog Entries

Pitta is healthy now, let's see what these guys do in a dome next week. Throw it 60 times

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by PainServer52 View Post
    Da' Rick Rogers is a guy I was hoping we'd take a chance on in the draft. He ended up going undrafted, but the Colts give him a shot and he goes off for 100+ and 2 TD's. We still do need that true #1 receiver to put this offense on the next level, Torrey just isn't that guy.
    It's actually even better than that. The Bills picked up Rogers as a FA then put him on the practice squad. I can't remember if the Bills took him off their PS or if the Colts signed him off, but either way he started this season with the Bills.

Two chances to get him AFTER the draft and he goes for a buck and two.

Look, I understand the Ravens are looking for a particular type of player but we're going to have to understand that 99.9% of receivers are cocky jerks who want the ball every play. Torrey is really unique in that he is a great receiver who happens to be well grounded.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Same here.

I know the guy had some off field issues, but it baffled me that we'd sign Rolando McClain, but not take a shot with him. We apparently weren't even interested as an UDFA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Ozzie felt comfortable "enough" with the Alabama guy I guess, and probably had lots of insider info and the $$ was low risk. I think that all 31 other GMs saw the same risk with Rogers whatever it was...but it was too much for even a five-figure contract.

We landed a winner Marlon and he has a full healthy off-season ahead of him. Still, I'm with everyone else, we need to stop jacking around and grab a WR and TE. Same battle cry as last year.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Flacco has had some big games in domes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    I actually haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Mike Evans. Doesn't seem like much a route runner. Just a big body.
    He's no Andre Johnson or Larry Fitz, but Evans has improved quite a bit as a route runner. He's a former basketball player as well, so he uses his body really well and he does a nice job high-pointing passes.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I think there was just a big focus on grabbing guys that would buy in and not be a distraction this off season. There was at least a little real worry of what would happen when Ray left. Harbaugh maybe wanted to make sure he could control the locker room. Pollard's release more than Boldin's release smelled of this.

Then in the draft, they were pumped at how many "red star" character guys they picked up. I think that probably resulted in Rogers getting taken off their board because of his character issues. Definitely would have been more useful than their favorite pick John Simon. That pick never made sense to me unless they believe Suggs won't be on the team much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He's no Andre Johnson or Larry Fitz, but Evans has improved quite a bit as a route runner. He's a former basketball player as well, so he uses his body really well and he does a nice job high-pointing passes.
    I'd be happy to have him either way.

Hey Wicked, what do you think of Kelvin Benjamin? I haven't been I able to see much of him because of college and work, but from what I've see he looks to be a more athletic Mike Evans. I know he may return next year, but he is eligible for the draft. I feel like he has the most upside of any draft eligible WR.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    Hey Wicked, what do you think of Kelvin Benjamin? I haven't been I able to see much of him because of college and work, but from what I've see he looks to be a more athletic Mike Evans. I know he may return next year, but he is eligible for the draft. I feel like he has the most upside of any draft eligible WR.
    He is a physically imposing player at 6'5" 235lbs and he does have a lot of upside. I actually think he compares heavily to when Demaryius Thomas came out. Thomas was very raw coming out of Georgia Tech, but he was quite physically imposing. I don't believe that Benjamin is as fast as Thomas is/was, but I do think Benjamin has that kind of talent.

I have a 2nd round grade on him right now, but considering how many really good (and productive) receivers are coming out this year, I think he may return. Especially considering Jameis Winston will still be there and FSU could be in the top-5 next year as well.

I'd love to see Benjamin on the Ravens though. Benjamin, Torrey and Marlon would be pretty outstanding. The Ravens don't really have a high-flyer right now at receiver and even though Marlon is 6'5", they don't seem to run a lot of jump-ball passes to him (not sure why). So, Benjamin is not only tall, but he has super long arms and really nice body control in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He is a physically imposing player at 6'5" 235lbs and he does have a lot of upside. I actually think he compares heavily to when Demaryius Thomas came out. Thomas was very raw coming out of Georgia Tech, but he was quite physically imposing. I don't believe that Benjamin is as fast as Thomas is/was, but I do think Benjamin has that kind of talent.

I have a 2nd round grade on him right now, but considering how many really good (and productive) receivers are coming out this year, I think he may return. Especially considering Jameis Winston will still be there and FSU could be in the top-5 next year as well.

I'd love to see Benjamin on the Ravens though. Benjamin, Torrey and Marlon would be pretty outstanding. The Ravens don't really have a high-flyer right now at receiver and even though Marlon is 6'5", they don't seem to run a lot of jump-ball passes to him (not sure why). So, Benjamin is not only tall, but he has super long arms and really nice body control in the air.
    I agree that I think he likely stays...he's only a redshirt soph and this was his first year starting.

The only thing that may lead him to come out though is the fact that he will be turning 23 next year. Many times guys that old will declare simply because they don't feel they have the time as other younger players.

Turning 24 in 2015 will be looked at as a negative if he stays.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I agree that I think he likely stays...he's only a redshirt soph and this was his first year starting.

The only thing that may lead him to come out though is the fact that he will be turning 23 next year. Many times guys that old will declare simply because they don't feel they have the time as other younger players.

Turning 24 in 2015 will be looked at as a negative if he stays.

Good point.