Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Irsay Still Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...8.photogallery

Just look at that dick fer cryin' out loud!

29 years ago tomorrow the Mayflower Vans rolled out of Owings Mills and the Baltimore Colts were gone. I still wince from the pain every once in awhile. I still wanna smash Buffoon Bob just once in his pimply face. I still want the name, the colors, and OUR history retired. I loved that team.

Next year will make 3 decades since the move - the same amount of time that the Baltimore Colts played here believe it or not. To me that franchise no longer exists, except in our hearts.

Long Live the Baltimore Ravens! All others can kiss my ass.

I am right on your coat tails, Dan!

The Colt hate really is only held onto now by the older generation. More and more younger fans just don't care or don't even remember the Colts playing in Baltimore. Hell, most of the players today were born well after the move. It may sound callous, but as time goes on and the older folks who grew up with the Colts pass on, it will become even more of a footnote.

We finally beat them in the playoffs and just won our second Lombardi. The city bleeds purple and we have one of the best-run franchises in the NFL, with arguably the best owner/GM tandem going. Holding onto that grudge just ain't healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    We just beat them in the playoffs and went on to win the SB. Demon exorcised in my book
    Very good point Phi.

In 2006 i was very much wrapped around the idea that it was finally payback time. Many fans showed alot of hatred towards Peyton Manning and the players and that wasn't right. It looked like we had everything going for us but we lost. Bad karma i thought. Time to let it go.

When we beat the Indy's in the playoffs this year i honestly didn't even think about the hate, the move, the old Colts or nuthin. I was focused on being exceedingly happy that the Ravens had overcome some pretty big setbacks this season to even get to the playoffs and winning at least one game. I was extremely pleased that the GOAT got to celebrate a victory in his last home game. The guys on the other side of the field was just another team that we beat in one of the most memorable moments in Baltimore Ravens history.

But good, bad or indifferent - history is still history. What happened that night in March 29 years ago really did happen and it changed our lives - i think for the better. The memories i have of the Baltimore Colts and the move doesn't detract from my love and enjoyment of the Baltimore Ravens one tiny little bit. I think that if you asked anyone who knows me they would say that if anything it intensifies my passion for our football team a hundred fold.

But i will always remember how we felt that morning when we learned our team had been stolen away in the middle of the night and the resolve it instilled in us to get another team and never let it go.

Go Ravens!
    Last edited by Real Fan Dan; 03-29-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I am starting to think that holding on the hate is an old man's thing.

.... ducking .....

I mean, seriously, 29th is not exactly a landmark anniversary year. 30th I can understand, but 29th?!?!

Imagine this. Would your new spouse really appreciated you opining year after year about your ex? Every year at this time she'd have to hear how great the glory days were all the while you're wearing the shirt they bought for you.

Irsay was an abusive spouse. Let it go, Man. You'll be happier for it! ;)
    You can let the spouse go! Good fucking riddance to Irsay and his Klan. But the Children and their history of accomplishments that the ex ripped from your heart - you can NEVER forget or get over your children. If Irsay is the Ex, the players are your children. To have your children's history stolen is what is unexcuseable.

I am 1000% happier having the Ravens and their ownership than I ever could have been with any team anywhere that is owned by a Irsay, but I am still pissed about Irsay stealing my children and their history.

Dan, I didn't click on the link to look at the pics and I didn't really read your reasons carefully, but I agree with your premise, Irsay sucks.

I say that without any real feeling, just a statement of fact.

Here's how I look at it: Irsay sucks like my ex-wife sucks.

At one time I felt very angry and could drone on and on with bitterness. Eventually, I gave up the negative feelings and even started to realize, hey, maybe I'm better off getting the chance to move onto something better. Which grew into, I know I'm better off now.

I don't even want to look at the old photos anymore. I still have some good old memories, but I'm happy to have moved on.

So, while I don't disagree with your premise -- Irsay still sucks -- I am more enthusiastic about the flip side of the same coin...Thank God We Got Bisciotti!

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    The Colt hate really is only held onto now by the older generation. More and more younger fans just don't care or don't even remember the Colts playing in Baltimore. Hell, most of the players today were born well after the move. It may sound callous, but as time goes on and the older folks who grew up with the Colts pass on, it will become even more of a footnote.

We finally beat them in the playoffs and just won our second Lombardi. The city bleeds purple and we have one of the best-run franchises in the NFL, with arguably the best owner/GM tandem going. Holding onto that grudge just ain't healthy.
    I wouldn't expect "young" fans to care about the old Colts. They didn't live through it. Much like I wouldn't expect a 15-year old Browns fan to dislike the Ravens any more than another division opponent.

But I was an adult on March 28, 1984. I remember what that felt like. And I also lived through not having football for 12 years.

"Holding a grudge ain't healthy"? What does that mean really? Do you think we Colt fans from back then have been stewing and stressing for 30 years? Because I don't. But when the Irsays play I always hope they lose (unless them winning helps the Ravens). I still don't like the Irsays. Never will. How is any of this unhealthy?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    But I was an adult on March 28, 1984. I remember what that felt like. And I also lived through not having football for 12 years.
    Understood. I was just 2 when the move happened, and can't even imagine how awful and painful it would be to see the Ravens leaving town like that today.

"Holding a grudge ain't healthy"? What does that mean really? Do you think we Colt fans from back then have been stewing and stressing for 30 years? Because I don't. But when the Irsays play I always hope they lose (unless them winning helps the Ravens). I still don't like the Irsays. Never will. How is any of this unhealthy?
    Everyone is different, but some just take the hate too far I think. I've heard a few old-timers say they'd still take the Colts name/colors/logo back for our team and would just scrap everything about the Ravens. That's just crazy to me.

The venom spewed at Peyton Manning and company in 2006 for that playoff game was over the top. It became about exorcising 12 years of demons and getting revenge on a dead guy instead of a playoff game for the Ravens.

Putting "Indy" on the scoreboards was just petty and lame and made us look like chumps. Was glad they did away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Everyone is different, but some just take the hate too far I think. I've heard a few old-timers say they'd still take the Colts name/colors/logo back for our team and would just scrap everything about the Ravens. That's just crazy to me.
    I do agree with this. If offered the Colts name and colors now, I would put them in grave. They died in 1984.

The venom spewed at Peyton Manning and company in 2006 for that playoff game was over the top. It became about exorcising 12 years of demons and getting revenge on a dead guy instead of a playoff game for the Ravens.
    Blame the media for most of that. They whipped people into a frenzy. Now, the idiots that hoisted a Mayflower flag in Lot J that day got some venom that was well deserved. You noticed that the whole revenge thing was in short supply in the media for the last WC game. As a result the game was like any other playoff game. It did feel good to get that monkey off our backs, though.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

I'm not one of the old timers who wants the name and colors back now instead of the RAvens. They have made their own history and in grand fashion and are currently the top organization in pro sports.

I just want the name, colors and history retired or at least the history retired so we have our own little corner in the HOF that says Baltimore Colts. The only thing there now is a pic of the 1959 NFL Championship game that says it was played in Baltimore.

It was the 58 and 59 Championship games that started the NFL to equal status as baseball and basketball as a major league sport and would later pass them all as America's game. It all started in Baltimore and we have nothing that says it.

Indy fans claim the SB 5 trophy even though it is residing in Baltimore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Dan, I didn't click on the link to look at the pics and I didn't really read your reasons carefully, but I agree with your premise, Irsay sucks.

I say that without any real feeling, just a statement of fact.

Here's how I look at it: Irsay sucks like my ex-wife sucks.

At one time I felt very angry and could drone on and on with bitterness. Eventually, I gave up the negative feelings and even started to realize, hey, maybe I'm better off getting the chance to move onto something better. Which grew into, I know I'm better off now.

I don't even want to look at the old photos anymore. I still have some good old memories, but I'm happy to have moved on.

So, while I don't disagree with your premise -- Irsay still sucks -- I am more enthusiastic about the flip side of the same coin...Thank God We Got Bisciotti!
    Damn Has, I think I'll go file for divorce so I can have an ex-wife and experience the same thing ;) Good stuff

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

In a divorce you have the Ex and you have the kids.

Irsay is the Ex - good riddence, glad the old drunk died.

The players and their accomplishments were Baltimore's kids. You never give up on your kids and you never stop missing the kids when they have been abducted by the Ex..

Now, the idiots that hoisted a Mayflower flag in Lot J that day got some venom that was well deserved.
    And you had nothing to do with that flag ultimately getting brought down after the mounted Baltimore policeman (or was it his horse) "prodded" the Irsay fans into lowering it to avoid a riot? And you had nothing to do the the immolation of that flag? Or was that our pyromaniac former tailgater, Smurf?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).