Very interesting read to me...

http://russellstreetreport.com/films...g-draft-busts/

He labels 10 categories that should be used to determine draft bust status. I posted a comment on there that I think, while I generally agree with what he posted, it should also take into account the draft round with some idea of expectations.

Consider these examples...

1. Haruki Nakamura, in his system, ranks as a "Stuck behind veterans" player, in that his play was good, but never good enough to earn the starting spot over another veteran. In my mind though, Haruki as a 6th round pick shouldn't be EXPECTED to beat out a veteran at a starting spot. 6th and 7th rounders as starters, is a rarity in my book. What you expect out of a 6th or 7th round pick is Consistent to Spectacular Special Teams and Marginal Depth player. To me, if a 6th round pick can 1) Win a roster spot every year, 2) Play well on special teams and 3) Provide you with a decent amount of snaps as a role player on defense, that player shouldn't be considered a dissapointment. To me, Haruki Nakamura doesn't grade out as a bust.

2. Tom Zbikowski, in his system, isn't listed but I'd imagine he should rank in either "Close, but not quite" or "Drafted too high" labels. To me, Tom Zbikowski would grade out at a 4th-5th round expectation. He was a good special teams player, provided decent Spot Starting value on defense, but when given the opportunity to start, never really WOWed anyone. As a 3rd rounder, the expectation was that he should've been a "Decent to Solid Starter" in my added piece. If you grade him on that expectation, Zbikowski would be a draft bust

3. Prescott Burgess, in his system, is listed as as "Core special teamer", which ranks as a mild bust in his thoughts. This is the one that probably challenges my add-on a bit. Burgess was a very good special teams player, but only played 23 defensive snaps. As a 6th round pick, that should fit for his drafting, but can you really consider him a draft success when he never provided enough value on defense to make any difference?

Just a nice debate to have while we wait for the draft...