Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Ihedigbo

Blog Entries

Re: James Ihedigbo

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I think the coaches really like Ihedigbo as more than a special teams player. Now, having said that, despite the Huff signing I expect us to draft a safety at some point (this is a really good safety class). Also, I expect Christian Thompson to compete heavily for a starter's job; this kid can play. And my man Omar Brown is someone to not be forgotten. They call him Baby Ed Reed!
    I'm glad you mentioned Omar. That kid is always around the ball, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with more reps.

My best guess at the Raven safety position over the next few years would look like this:

2013:

Starters: Huff, high round rookie (Elam/Swearinger/Cyprian/Jefferson/Reid/Rambo)
    Bench: Ighedibo, Thompson, Brown

2014:

Starters: Elam or other 2013 draft member, Huff/Thompson/Brown
    Bench: the other two who don't win that starter's spot

2015:
    Starters: Elam or 2013 draft safety, Thompson/Brown
    Bench: Thompson/Brown loser, Huff, 2015 draft class rookie
    Huff will probably count against the cap for $2.5m in 2015, which makes him potentially expendable, however I think for a guy with his versatility, he still would have a decent chance at being a Raven. $2.5 is too much to commit to a backup safety, however, I think the Ravens can easily justify that given that the 3 other guys at the position will all be inexpensive and that Huff can fill in at CB if needed.

2016:

starters: Elam and whoever out of Thompson/Brown gets re-signed in free agency, the other would be a free agency casualty

bench: 2015 rookie, someone else

Notes:

Assuming the Ravens draft a high-round safety in 2013, I think they are set at that position for the next 2-3 years.

Also, the addition of Huff might signal that the Ravens will not HAVE to draft one of the elite safeties in this upcoming draft. I still think it's likely, but it's entirely possible that they are content with Huff and Thompson as starters and Ihedigo and Brown as the two backups. Ihedigbo should not be starting, though, unless necessitated by injury. The 5th safety could be a guy drafted later in the draft or they could look at Cook/Levine for that spot. Or they could just go with 4 safeties and give another position an extra position. Several Raven teams of past years operated with only four safeties.

Blog Entries

I am not sold on this back end of this defense outside of what I know, I know Webb, Graham and Chykie, Huff a solid veteran, but i'm not sold on any one else.

From the small sample we got from Ihedigbo, I actually really like his play. He's a real hard worker and plays what ever role the coaches want him to. He obviously has made a solid impression, or they wouldn't continue to bring him back. I love his digging celebration after making a tackle. IMO it's like he's demonstrating the work he puts into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I am not sold on this back end of this defense outside of what I know, I know Webb, Graham and Chykie, Huff a solid veteran, but i'm not sold on any one else.
    Huff is going to excell in our system. I would take that to the bank. He is athletic and very good in coverage. Webb is going to be Webb. Graham and Smith should be a solid #2/#3 combo. Chykie is going to a be a good depth CB and gunner on ST.

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Huff is going to excell in our system. I would take that to the bank. He is athletic and very good in coverage. Webb is going to be Webb. Graham and Smith should be a solid #2/#3 combo. Chykie is going to a be a good depth CB and gunner on ST.
    I agree. The DL will get increased QB pressure this year with the personnel we have now making the secondary more effective.

To get back on point, Ihedigbo is depth and a special teamer.

He's a better tackler, that's for sure.

I think the majority of D will be competing for time or a spot. A normal when you are shuffling an entire Defense or Offense, Ihedigbo falls into this category.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Eric Reid of LSU is very similar to Bernard Pollard only a lot faster. I wouldn't want him in round 1 but I'd be happy to get him in Round 2.
    FWIW Charley Casserly said Reid could eventually become the best safety out of this class. I think he is starting to move up on a few boards.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    FWIW Charley Casserly said Reid could eventually become the best safety out of this class. I think he is starting to move up on a few boards.
    Reid is a tricky one. Very athletic and that alone made him a 1st round pick to many eyes early last fall. But then it slowly dawned on people that while athletic he should have been making more of an impact and so his draft status slowly began to fall. What we aree seing now is a weighing of his athleticism and his close to over the top aggressiveness with his fairly stiff hips and not the best decision making in the world. If he could get himself under control then yeah he'll be the best safety in the class. Big IF though. He could well be a LaRon Landry. Or he could be a guy always out of position.

TJ McDonald is another safety who at one time had a marginal 1st round grade and who has since fallen.