Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Matt Ryan to get paid more than Joe?

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 26m
    Matt Ryan is among those awaiting Rodgers' deal. Expect him to try to slot between Flacco and Rodgers, perhaps around $22M/season.

Ryan is a good QB, but I don't see how he's worth more than Joe at this point.

Re: Matt Ryan to get paid more than Joe?

He's certainly not worth more, but will almost definitely get more. It all comes down to timing of the contract signing. They(Rodger and Ryan) will get more than Flacco, Luck and Griffin will get more than them, and on and on it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 26m
    Matt Ryan is among those awaiting Rodgers' deal. Expect him to try to slot between Flacco and Rodgers, perhaps around $22M/season.

Ryan is a good QB, but I don't see how he's worth more than Joe at this point.
    He's worth what the market says he is.

If he were to become a UFA, just like Joe, teams would be lining up to back up the brinks truck.

Trust...every top or young promising QB is going to surpass Joe's contract from here on out...just wait until the 49ers have to pay Kaepernick.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Yup, and it's why I always chuckled when people mocked the Ravens for making Joe the highest paid QB as if it was some unbreakable record.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Yup, and it's why I always chuckled when people mocked the Ravens for making Joe the highest paid QB as if it was some unbreakable record.
    Yeah, but in three years Flacco will asking for even more than these other QBs sign for. Flacco's deal is really only a three year deal.

Blog Entries

I talk trash over at the Falcons board sometimes.

I posted a thread over there regarding Ryan's playoff stats, with a focus on second half playoff performance (aka crunch time).

He has played in 5 games.

In two of those games, his offense scored 0 points in the second half (NYG 2011, SF 2012).

Overall, in the second half of playoff games, he is horrible.

As we saw this year, he struggled in the second half vs both SEA and SF. Why does that matter? Gee...the second half of a playoff game is likely the most stressful and pressure filled time in football.

In the second half of 5 playoff games, his offense has scored a total of 24 points. That is 2.4pts/quarter on average.

Only 4 scoring drives in 10 quarters, yet 6 turnovers in the same 10 quarters.

His fumble vs SF was inexcusable. He wasn't even touched. He saw the blitz coming and choked.

Until he proves he can actually play well in the second half of playoff games, I wouldn't pay him.

You can blame the Falcons D all you want, but the fact is their offense drops off in the second half, and Ryan has increased critical turnovers in the second half. That to me shows a choker.

The sample size is small, and the great Peyton Manning had similar issues and took 9 seasons to win a title. Ryan reminds me of Peyton, and not in a good way. Plays in a dome, has beast receivers, in a division not known for tough defenses.

I just don't understand how someone could pay more for Ryan than Flacco at this point. Maybe in a few years once Ryan has won more than 1 playoff game in his career. Take away Joe's SB win and he has still done more than Ryan has. I just don't see how Ryan should be getting paid more than Joe in the same year based on what they've done so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I talk trash over at the Falcons board sometimes.

I posted a thread over there regarding Ryan's playoff stats.

He has played in 5 games.

In two of those games, his offense scored 0 points.

Overall, in the second half of playoff games, he is horrible.

As we saw this year, he struggled in the second half vs both SEA and SF. Why does that matter? Gee...the second half of a playoff game is likely the most stressful and pressure filled time in football.

In the second half of 5 playoff games, his offense has scored a total of 24 points. That is 2.4pts/quarter on average.

Only 4 scoring drives in 10 quarters, yet 6 turnovers in the same 10 quarters.

His fumble vs SF was inexcusable. He wasn't even touched. He saw the blitz coming and choked.

Until he proves he can actually play well in the second half of playoff games, I wouldn't pay him.

You can blame the Falcons D all you want, but the fact is their offense drops off in the second half, and Ryan has increased critical turnovers in the second half. That to me shows a choker.

The sample size is small, and the great Peyton Manning had similar issues and took 9 seasons to win a title. Ryan reminds me of Peyton, and not in a good way. Plays in a dome, has beast receivers, in a division not known for tough defenses.
    lol I like to read their board sometimes and for anyone on there to suggest that Flacco is as good or better than Ryan is damn near blasphemy. It's amazing how they manage to undervalue a Ring, SB MVP and an historically great post-season just to prop Ryan up.

Blog Entries

he's going to get paid what Atlanta will pay him. Falcons know they're in a tough spot. Ryan isn't a bust by any stretch of the imagination. And they have no alternative to put pressure on him. So they basically have to hand him a blank check. His agent will point to stats superior to Flacco's in the regular season.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    he's going to get paid what Atlanta will pay him. Falcons know they're in a tough spot. Ryan isn't a bust by any stretch of the imagination. And they have no alternative to put pressure on him. So they basically have to hand him a blank check. His agent will point to stats superior to Flacco's in the regular season.
    Yep. That's just how it is with QB's. Atlanta has to pay him whatever he wants.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    lol I like to read their board sometimes and for anyone on there to suggest that Flacco is as good or better than Ryan is damn near blasphemy. It's amazing how they manage to undervalue a Ring, SB MVP and an historically great post-season just to prop Ryan up.
    They always say Flacco had a defense to lean on. Which is true to a certain extent. But Flacco also plays tougher defenses on average in the AFCN.

Flacco also has never had the likes of a Julio Jones, Roddy White and HoF TE Tony Gonzalez. Heap and Boldin were very good. Derrick Mason likewise. But Ryan has benefitted from some superb receiving help that Flacco has never had.

So I see it all as a moot discussion. You can make excuses on either side.

They both struggled in the playoffs early on, which is expected to a certain degree. But Joe has shown more clutch playoff performance than Ryan has. And on the road. whereas Ryan is usually in his dome at home. He played well in the first half of games this year. And then froze in the second half. That is what made me look at his playoff history in the second half. He has had a similar pattern his entire playoff career. Falls apart in the second half.

Believe it or not, but we got a break on Flacco's contract. The only thing that we have going for us is that he was the first to sign of the "young great QB's" group. I don't factor Brees, Manning, or Brady in this group because of their game. Flacco had nobody to point to before. Now, Ryan, Rodgers, Kaepernik, Dalton, Wilson, RGIII, and Luck will have Flacco and their QB brothers before them to point to. Imagine the meme of them pounding on the owner's table saying "I will not let a QB from Delaware who has not been to a Pro Bowl get paid more than me!"