Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Don't forget about Tori Gurley.

Tori Gurley is in virtually the same position as Deonte Thompson, Tommy Streeter, LaQuan Williams, etc... and before them it was Eron Riley, Justin Harper, James Hardy, etc...

They are camp fodder that have very little chance to last in the NFL, much less contribute. Every now and then a Clarence Moore type will pop up and contribute for a few games' worth of real action, usually based on a combination of injuries at the position and untapped physical potential. But come next year they're in the same spot and unlikely to stick around.

That's not being pessimistic, it's reality. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but you don't project rosters based on exceptions. I don't think Gurley is on the team next year, and I think only 1 of Streeter, Laquan, and Thompson will make it, likely whoever shows the most special teams value.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Eron Riley?

just kidding...but...
    Haha great call.

Blog Entries

We did the same thing with Logan Payne last year. He had a couple nice catches in the preseason and was generally a good guy, but we knew he wasn't making the team, and a lot of people thought he'd probably shine on someone else's team.

Where did he play in 2012? Nowhere.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Tori Gurley is in virtually the same position as Deonte Thompson, Tommy Streeter, LaQuan Williams, etc... and before them it was Eron Riley, Justin Harper, James Hardy, etc... I think only 1 of Streeter, Laquan, and Thompson will make it, likely whoever shows the most special teams value.
    As I started to read your post I was ready to disagree a bit with you, but by the time I got to your final statement I was back in agreement.

While all those guys are wide receivers, they really aren't all vying for the same position. It comes down to special teams play. That's why I have locked horns with a number of posters over the last year over the value of Tommy Streeter. It goes back to when people were predicting the final 53 man roster last year and I seemed to be the only one who wanted to leave Streeter off the roster and a half dozen people said that was dumb and he'd for sure get scooped up off our practice squad.

I do think it comes down to really vying for a special teams spot. Which is why LaQuann Williams is on the team and why David Reed, to the astonishment of many, is on the team. It's why Thomspon, the returner, made it initially, but fell off when they filled this role adequately with others.

None of these guys should really be thought of as receivers, except in an emergency role, when you are thinking about roster spots.

I think Gurley is way ahead of Streeter because I've said from the beginning Streeter offers little when it comes to special teams. Gurley is basically an Anquan Boldin type player, who is taller but without the same hands. Streeter has questionable hands, too, but not nearly the toughness of Gurley. If Gurley offers anything as a receiver it would be as a red zone threat. Long arms and a huge target who can out-muscle smaller DBs.

Streeter is the kind of guy you put on the practice squad and if he becomes a terror on the scout team for the starting defense to try and cover, then you know you need to make room, otherwise, he's not really in the running for a spot like some of these other "receivers" are.
    Last edited by Shas; 03-28-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    As I started to read your post I was ready to disagree a bit with you, but by the time I got to your final statement I was back in agreement.

While all those guys are wide receivers, they really aren't all vying for the same position. It comes down to special teams play. That's why I have locked horns with a number of posters over the last year over the value of Tommy Streeter. It goes back to when people were predicting the final 53 man roster last year and I seemed to be the only one who wanted to leave Streeter off the roster and a half dozen people said that was dumb and he'd for sure get scooped up off our practice squad.

I do think it comes down to really vying for a special teams spot. Which is why LaQuann Williams is on the team and why David Reed, to the astonishment of many, is on the team. It's why Thomspon, the returner, made it initially, but fell off when they filled this role adequately with others.

None of these guys should really be thought of as receivers, except in an emergency role, when you are thinking about roster spots.

I think Gurley is way ahead of Streeter because I've said from the beginning Streeter offers little when it comes to special teams. Gurley is basically an Anquan Boldin type player, who is taller but without the same hands. Streeter has questionable hands, too, but not nearly the toughness of Gurley. If Gurley offers anything as a receiver it would be as a red zone threat. Long arms and a huge target who can out-muscle smaller DBs.

Streeter is the kind of guy you put on the practice squad and if he becomes a terror on the scout team for the starting defense to try and cover, then you know you need to make room, otherwise, he's not really in the running for a spot like some of these other "receivers" are.
    Good post, you expanded on the ideas I was trying to convey in a more complete way than I did. I was surprised that David Reed was re-signed, much less to a "real" contract, but he offers solid ST value and obviously shows enough at WR in practice that they actually put him on the field on offense on occasion throughout the past 2 seasons.

A good ST player who offers "package" type value on offense? That sounds like a #5 receiver to me. Hell, Jacoby Jones is not really a whole lot more than an upgraded version of that and he's almost a lock to be the #3 WR this year. I think the team will make an addition in the draft at WR, and that player should (optimistically) compete for the #2 job with Doss, or (pessimistically) slot in as the #4.

They probably carry 6 WRs next year (they did most of last year), and I've accounted for 5 (with a projected draft pick at WR.) Streeter would need to REALLY improve as a WR over last year to win that 6th spot--IMO he did not look NFL caliber when he took the field in the preseason against marginal-NFL level DBs. For now I would probably say Thompson offers the best combination of offensive upside and ST value. Laquan and/or Gurley go to the practice squad, any remaining WRs hit the street.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Eron Riley?

just kidding...but...

Valid point.

I just remember Green Bay being pretty high on the guy.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I remember half the posters on the board thinking he was going to be Megatron level, before Megatron anyway.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Oh yes. Eron "King of the Jews" Riley. I still think he'd be good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Gurley is basically an Anquan Boldin type player, who is taller but without the same hands.
    I am kind of an anquan boldin type player too...

Only shorter, without the same hands, a tad slower...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R03BVIyAdY

LOL!