Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Ravens Draft: DeAndre Hopkins

If there is one area where the Ravens FO has struggled for the past 16 years, it is in its evaluation of WRs. I am just nervous spending a first round pick on a position where the Ravens FO has such a bad track record. Torrey Smith is the closest player that Ozzie has drafted at the WR position that we can say has been a success. Maybe Stokely, but he was more of a role player, and he enjoyed more success after he left the Ravens.

If Ozzie doesn't make a trade in round 1, WR should definitely be a position that provides value and Hopkins is the most likely one of the top WRs to be there. I've been surprised and happy to see Keenan Alen being mocked to us lately but I am think that that is because he's been injured and wasn't at the combine and so like Matt Barkley, as his pro day comes his stock will probably rise again. But if it doesn't and we have one of Allen or Hopkins fall to us I'll be happy.

But there are some good WRs in later rounds as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    I like Hopkins a lot I just wish he had a different QB to judge him from. Boyd is an amazing deep passer and good throwing on the run, but he is atrocious at short to medium passes so it's hard to get a good read on how well Hopkins would do on those plays.

Definitely wouldn't be upset if we drafted him though.
    If the Ravens draft him (Hopkins) then he would have a different QB (Flacco) to judge him from... Bc

Exactly. And worst come to worst we already know Flacco is a great deep passer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    I like Hopkins a lot I just wish he had a different QB to judge him from. Boyd is an amazing deep passer and good throwing on the run, but he is atrocious at short to medium passes so it's hard to get a good read on how well Hopkins would do on those plays.
    That actually sounds similar to Flacco.

Not that he is atrocious at medium passes, but I think most would say that is his weakest part of his game (I think PFF rates him low in that area).

I could live with Hopkins at 32. I don't know if he makes it to 62.

Good thing is we have plenty of ammo to move up or down. It will be a fluid situation no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    If there is one area where the Ravens FO has struggled for the past 16 years, it is in its evaluation of WRs. I am just nervous spending a first round pick on a position where the Ravens FO has such a bad track record. Torrey Smith is the closest player that Ozzie has drafted at the WR position that we can say has been a success. Maybe Stokely, but he was more of a role player, and he enjoyed more success after he left the Ravens.
    We had struggled with evaluating QBs, so it was a total waste to spend out 1st round pick on one in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    That actually sounds similar to Flacco.

Not that he is atrocious at medium passes, but I think most would say that is his weakest part of his game (I think PFF rates him low in that area).
    Yup. The best thrower of the deep ball in college football and the best thrower of the deep ball in the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    We had struggled with evaluating QBs, so it was a total waste to spend out 1st round pick on one in 2008
    I don't think you can live in fear based on past results.

Especially now since rookies are much cheaper even if they do bust. No one likes ot waste a top pick but at least it is cheaper now if you whiff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm just curious how you gathered that or was able to measure that? Seems rather subjective, don't you think? I mean, you could argue that DeAndre Hopkins has incredible hand-eye-coordination and there is a YouTube video where he is standing about 5 yards away from a "juggs" machine catching several footballs with just his right hand and then just his left hand.
    It's all subjective, most scouting departments get into heated debates of players=some for some against. As far as college stats. A scout I used to know, now an old man who used to scout for the Colts told me and I agree to throw college stats out the window. It depends on so many variables, he said he never looked at stats and watched film an used the eyeball test instead, much like they do for the NBA draft, where stats mean NOTHING, players are drafted on upside and potential.

As far as Harper he was a QB, built like Boldin, but in KSTATE's offense wasnt thrown too often with thier ground game and a Klien running all the time. He is a beast at 233 lbs with 4.5 speed with a QB background, in a different offense he could of easily put up MONSTER numbers. As far as hand eye coordination, he used to juggle as a hobby and rarely if ever dropped a ball, plus I like he was a QB at Oregon.

Clemson, I saw all but 2 games. Thier offense between Boyd, Ellington and the spread offense is going to yeild big numbers for a WR.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, I am not saying he isnt a decent WR, I just dont see upside. He looks rather generic to me and other WR's in this class class with similar abilities can be had in the 2-5th rounds.

He to me isnt someone I would use Pick number 32 on, drafting a CB, S, DL,OL or TE could be yeild a higher return talent wise and produce a more significant impact to the team. WR's of his talent, IMO can be had later in the draft.

The only WR's that I see that are first round material are Patterson on potential, Austin and Allen. Allen probably has the best instincts of all of them, Patterson the most upside, Austin is a game changer and nightmare matchup wise that can be used is so many different ways that can revolutionize an offense overnight. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Man, you're out to lunch on Hopkins. Not really sure how a guy averages 17.1 yards per catch running 5 yard curls and slants without eluding people. Austin averaged 11.3 yards per catch. So yeah, the guy that can't elude people and apparently only runs underneath routes somehow magically averaged 6 more yards per catch than the explosive, slippery, and un-coverable uber-prospect.

How many 'moves' does Larry Fitzgerald have? How about Anquan Boldin? Marvin Harrison? Reggie Wayne? Jerry Rice? 'Moves' are the most overrated aspect of a receiver. The ability to use route-running and smarts to separate from coverage and get open is far more important in the NFL.

And not a good jump-ball guy? There's 4 or 5 examples of him being an excellent jump-ball guy in this video:

Moves underrated really??? You must be a Clemson fan. I think he doesnt offer anything "special" and is generic and played in an offense that inflates numbers. Stats mean nothing to scouts, the eyeball test is what matters. Thier is so many players that have his skillset later in the draft, but not in a similar offense. Heck, even Maryland and thier boring offense made Vernon Davis look average, but his eyeball test made him a top 10 pick. Now, Watkins at Clemson is a very very special player.

Blog Entries

McShay's latest mock has Hopkins going 27 to HOU

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Moves underrated really??? You must be a Clemson fan. I think he doesnt offer anything "special" and is generic and played in an offense that inflates numbers. Stats mean nothing to scouts, the eyeball test is what matters. Thier is so many players that have his skillset later in the draft, but not in a similar offense. Heck, even Maryland and thier boring offense made Vernon Davis look average, but his eyeball test made him a top 10 pick. Now, Watkins at Clemson is a very very special player.
    Youve literally said the exact same thing in like 5 different posts in this thread