Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Ravens Draft: DeAndre Hopkins

I know his name has been thrown around a bit here and IIRC Mizerooskie is a big time Clemson Tigers fan, so he can probably chime in a bit more regarding DeAndre "Nuk" Hopkins.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ins?id=2540165

6'1"
    215lbs

Here is my assessment of when I watch Hopkins:
    1. Some will try to classify him as a good slot option and while I do agree to a certain extent, I actually think he is best suited for the X or Z receiver spot. When I watch him work the middle of the field I see a guy who keeps his head on a swivel (which is good), but he sometimes loses focus of where the ball is (which is bad). Ultimately, he is pretty consistent over the middle, but I have seen some instances where he seems to be worried about getting hit or where he's going to run rather than just making the catch. If he is drafted by the Ravens, I would really like to see him work on this, because when he does focus solely on making the catch he is money and can make acrobatic grabs with the best of them. Granted, the QB play from Tahj Boyd didn't help his cause from time to time as Boyd is an excellent down-field passer, but his accuracy seems to drop when he has to throw "touch" passes rather than a rocket, but I digress. When Hopkins lines up at the X or Z position, he works the sidelines VERY well. This is his strongest quality as a WR, IMO. He does a great job with double-moves and he can stop on a dime when running come-back routes. He does a nice job adjusting to passes in the air and he wins a lot of contested receptions as well. Against Florida State, he was covered by Xavier Rhodes (a 6'2" 210lb corner who is likely a top 15 pick this year) and Hopkins did a great job beating press coverage from Rhodes and keeping Rhodes off-balance for much of the game. Another thing that I really like about Hopkins is he already knows how to set up corners for back-shoulder passes, which Flacco likes to throw.

*[FTR, I think if Boyd were to have come out he would easily be the 2nd QB taken after Geno Smith]*

2. He isn't the biggest or the fastest guy on the field, but he has nice acceleration (clocked a 4.41 at Clemson's Pro-Day). His frame is tight and muscular with long arms (~34") and big hands (10"). In the video posted below if you watch the whole thing you'll notice how he makes the catch, plants his foot, and then accelerates quickly to pick up nice YAC on several plays. You can also see that he does - contrary to popular beliefs - have enough speed to get vertical and score TD's over the top. He won't outrun many elite-speed corners, but his route running ability gives him enough separation to make plays down the field. Like I said earlier: wicked double move.

Ultimately, I don't think he is a 1st round receiver and with guys like Cordarelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Tavon Austin, and Keenan Allen getting most of the "WR buzz" I think Hopkins will drop into the 2nd round for sure. If he is someone the Ravens are targeting, then I think it would be wise to trade down from pick 32, pick up extra picks in the mid rounds, and target Hopkins somewhere in the top 20 picks of round 2. OR they could use their 1st round on someone completely different and move up in round 2 for Hopkins. I don't know that he'll last all the way to pick 64.

Current NFL Player that Hopkins reminds me of the most: James Jones.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: The Ravens Draft: DeAndre Hopkins

James Jones can barely catch. It's only due to the fact that Rodgers had to throw him so many passes that he actually caught some and scored some TDs. That's what he tends to do. Show off his skill and score on play. Show off his skill, get wide open and drop a pass on the next play.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'd take him at 32

You know, with the way the offseason is going, I would not be surprised if we take a WR at #32. Keenan Allen, Hopkins and Justin Hunter are a few of the names to watch. We have gone defense with our first selections the last three drafts, and we have yet to sign an offensive player this offseason.

I would take him at 32 in a heartbeat unless there is someone there that shouldn't have dropped that far and we need like a starting LT.

Over 80 catches for 1400+ yards sounds great to me after losing Boldin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I would take him at 32 in a heartbeat unless there is someone there that shouldn't have dropped that far and we need like a starting LT.

Agreed and the ACC isn't a pushover conference, defensively. He also played well against South Carolina.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    James Jones can barely catch. It's only due to the fact that Rodgers had to throw him so many passes that he actually caught some and scored some TDs. That's what he tends to do. Show off his skill and score on play. Show off his skill, get wide open and drop a pass on the next play.
    You keep saying this...but it is unfounded. You're basing your thoughts on James Jones from over 2 years ago where he had a couple of games with drops.

The guy has 21 TD receptions in the past 2 years...you telling me you wouldn't want that for the Ravens?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post

in that offense everyone puts up numbers vs weak ACC defenses. He is average talent wise. Nothing special, Watkins on that team is the stud. Pass. Not much upside. Draft a TE, Like Ertz or Escobar and use Pitta in the slot at times with Dickson is a better way to go, unless Austin drops or you trade up a few spots to nab him. Not a Hopkins fan, ordinary 2nd/3rd rounder type. I like your posts, always right on usually.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    in that offense everyone puts up numbers vs weak ACC defenses. He is average talent wise. Nothing special, Watkins on that team is the stud. Pass. Not much upside. Draft a TE, Like Ertz or Escobar and use Pitta in the slot at times with Dickson is a better way to go, unless Austin drops or you trade up a few spots to nab him. Not a Hopkins fan, ordinary 2nd/3rd rounder type. I like your posts, always right on usually.
    I disagree with you that he is average.

However, I do agree with you that Clemson's offense is designed for big offensive production. I also agree with you that Sammy Watkins is a better prospect, but Watkins is a sophomore and not coming out this year. Hopkins is.

Like I said in my original post: I don't know that I would take Hopkins at 32. I wouldn't be upset if they did, but I don't think it would be good value. I'd rather them take him in round 2 and (if he is one of their top targets) pick up extra picks by trading down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I disagree with you that he is average.

However, I do agree with you that Clemson's offense is designed for big offensive production. I also agree with you that Sammy Watkins is a better prospect, but Watkins is a sophomore and not coming out this year. Hopkins is.

Like I said in my original post: I don't know that I would take Hopkins at 32. I wouldn't be upset if they did, but I don't think it would be good value. I'd rather them take him in round 2 and (if he is one of their top targets) pick up extra picks by trading down.
    I hear you, Unfortunately my Girlfreind went to Clemson, so I get to watch those games. He does nothing that stands out to me. He looks ordinary. We dont need to replace Q, we should be looking at an upgrade someone who can stretch defenses more or has the missability or massive size, Hopkins is a tweener. He reminds me of other Raven WR draft picks that never panned out, same MO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    I hear you, Unfortunately my Girlfreind went to Clemson, so I get to watch those games. He does nothing that stands out to me. He looks ordinary. We dont need to replace Q, we should be looking at an upgrade someone who can stretch defenses more or has the missability or massive size, Hopkins is a tweener. He reminds me of other Raven WR draft picks that never panned out, same MO.
    Well, I'm not looking at Hopkins as a replacement for Boldin.

Boldin is best out of the slot, but like I said above, I think Hopkins is more of an X/Z receiver...not a Y.

If Doss doesn't pan out, the Ravens are potentially boned at receiver because while Jacoby can stretch the field, he is inconsistent with his hands and as a potential #2 receiver heading into next season, that's a problem. The Ravens need another guy who can operate out of the X/Z position. They don't need another slot WR. IMO, I think Reed and Doss both have skills that lend to the slot.

Hopkins just does such a nice job along the sidelines. That's why I think he is best suited as an X/Z guy.

Blog Entries

Let's see, the Ravens "needs" are probably: 1 left tackle, two linebackers, 1 safety, 1 receiver (but not end of the world if not), and perhaps 1 center. So that's only 6 players, yet the Ravens have 12 picks. It makes me very, very excited.