Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

*[FTR, I think if Boyd were to have come out he would easily be the 2nd QB taken after Geno Smith]*
    Just as a side not, I'm pretty confident Boyd would have been the number 1 overall pick. KC would love to take a QB, but Geno Smith isn't worth it. Boyd played the 2nd half of the year like a man on a mission, and he would have destroyed the combine.

As far as Hopkins, I think he's going to be a really good player. I think I would go defense in the first round, but I wouldn't be upset with taking Hopkins.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Re: The Ravens Draft: DeAndre Hopkins

I don't think Boyd is as good as RG3, but I agree, he IMO would have been the clear cut favorite to go highest out of this QB class.

One of the guys im hoping gets to 32

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    in that offense everyone puts up numbers vs weak ACC defenses. He is average talent wise. Nothing special, Watkins on that team is the stud. Pass. Not much upside. Draft a TE, Like Ertz or Escobar and use Pitta in the slot at times with Dickson is a better way to go, unless Austin drops or you trade up a few spots to nab him. Not a Hopkins fan, ordinary 2nd/3rd rounder type. I like your posts, always right on usually.
    How'd Hopkins do against LSU, with Sammy Watkins getting knocked out of the game on the first offensive play? I find it ironic that you disregard Hopkins due to the offense and opposition, yet you're building up Tavon Austin.

He's anything but an ordinary receiver. He doesn't have the flash and the dazzling combine numbers that others do. He just does everything that a receiver is supposed to do, and does it very well.

Anyway, nice write-up, wicked.

Some other things I'll add about him:

Expansive catching radius - better than anything the Ravens currently have.
    Excellent positional awareness - finds soft-spots in zones; won't run an 8-yard hitch on 3rd-and-10; gets himself open on broken plays
    Outstanding body control - you saw some of it in the video posted, but he's outstanding at adjusting to the ball in the air, dragging his feet in bounds, etc.
    Willing and physical blocker - he's a very competitive kid and gets after it in the running game

He's not without his weaknesses. As you said, he's not going to run away from speed corners. He's not going to separate on the go-route a la Torrey, and he's not going to juke three guys and go for 80 with the ball in his hands. And while he's naturally strong and compact, I think he's a bit under-developed physically. That's a common trend you'll find with most Clemson draftees, however--their S&C program isn't on par with the Alabamas and LSUs of the world. Though some might consider the physical under-development a strength as a prospect, since there's still projection left.

You mentioned James Jones, but the guy he really reminds me of is Reggie Wayne.

I'd be thrilled if the Ravens took him at 32, and shocked if he lasts until 62.

I am a Clemson alum, so take from that what you will, but the only other Clemson prospect I'd want the Ravens to even think about drafting is Brandon Ford (and only with a very late pick). Well, and maybe Tig Willard too, just because I have a soft spot for him. He won't be anything more than a good special teams player, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    How'd Hopkins do against LSU, with Sammy Watkins getting knocked out of the game on the first offensive play? I find it ironic that you disregard Hopkins due to the offense and opposition, yet you're building up Tavon Austin.

He's anything but an ordinary receiver. He doesn't have the flash and the dazzling combine numbers that others do. He just does everything that a receiver is supposed to do, and does it very well.

Anyway, nice write-up, wicked.

Some other things I'll add about him:

Expansive catching radius - better than anything the Ravens currently have.
    Excellent positional awareness - finds soft-spots in zones; won't run an 8-yard hitch on 3rd-and-10; gets himself open on broken plays
    Outstanding body control - you saw some of it in the video posted, but he's outstanding at adjusting to the ball in the air, dragging his feet in bounds, etc.
    Willing and physical blocker - he's a very competitive kid and gets after it in the running game

He's not without his weaknesses. As you said, he's not going to run away from speed corners. He's not going to separate on the go-route a la Torrey, and he's not going to juke three guys and go for 80 with the ball in his hands. And while he's naturally strong and compact, I think he's a bit under-developed physically. That's a common trend you'll find with most Clemson draftees, however--their S&C program isn't on par with the Alabamas and LSUs of the world. Though some might consider the physical under-development a strength as a prospect, since there's still projection left.

You mentioned James Jones, but the guy he really reminds me of is Reggie Wayne.

I'd be thrilled if the Ravens took him at 32, and shocked if he lasts until 62.

I am a Clemson alum, so take from that what you will, but the only other Clemson prospect I'd want the Ravens to even think about drafting is Brandon Ford (and only with a very late pick). Well, and maybe Tig Willard too, just because I have a soft spot for him. He won't be anything more than a good special teams player, though.
    I know him well. He doesnt do much for me. He runs like 5 yard curls, slants without great hands or separation in a spread offense. He doesnt ellude people and isnt overly tough with good YAC. Not a good jump ball guy either, not worth first rounder to me. He really doesnt have moves.

Austin is more slippery than goose shit and can line up outside, inside in the backfeild and return kicks. You cant cover that guy. He has moves and is a bigtime playmaker. He is a threat to score on every play, which will make everyone one around him better.

Hopkins reminds of other notables Raven WR draft picks that never panned out the Williams, Darlings, VA tech guy.. He doesn't have anything that makes you WOW or create a mismatch. He has nothing to hang is hat on. I think Thompson and Doss have more to offer than Hopkins.

If they go offense go take a TE, move Pitta/Dickson to the slot (Pitta is faster, bigger and better hands than Q) Dickson faster and bigger, Hands Meh? Ertz or ( Escobar (can be had a little later) would be nice, Eifert will be gone. Or trade up and take Allen or Austin. Cal's Keenan Allen attacks the ball and is physical. If Fluker is thier that can be considered or Long at G/T or even C, they guy is just a good athelete from good stock and will be a solid pro.

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    As far as Hopkins, I think he's going to be a really good player. I think I would go defense in the first round, but I wouldn't be upset with taking Hopkins.
    I am seeing more and more mocks were Keenan Allen is falling and have seen a couple with the Ravens taking him @ 32. How do you feel about him. My personal feelings are that @ 32 I prefer D or LT. If they took any of these 3 WR (Allen, Austin or Hopkins) I would be good with that also.

Terrance Williams is a guy I like also. Especially if he could be had at some point in the 3rd. Good playmaker. Proved he could do it without RG3. Undervalued IMO
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I am seeing more and more mocks were Keenan Allen is falling and have seen a couple with the Ravens taking him @ 32. How do you feel about him. My personal feelings are that @ 32 I prefer D or LT. If they took any of these 3 WR (Allen, Austin or Hopkins) I would be good with that also.

Terrance Williams is a guy I like also. Especially if he could be had at some point in the 3rd. Good playmaker. Proved he could do it without RG3. Undervalued IMO

They guy I like if they want to replace a Boldin type who was also a Qb, was the WR from KSTATE, I think Harper, big 6'1 233lbs and runs a 4.5 but played in running offense, but reliable hands and have very good hand eye coordination. Could be had in the 3-6 rounds. Or the WR from Va Tech was very Boldin like, but had bad QB play, or any of the Tennessee WR or Da rick Roger from Tenn Tech could be grabbed without giving up a first for them. I dont see that much difference in ability than these guys, except at Clemson cause of Qb and scheme got more chances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post

What LT will be there at 32?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Austin is more slippery than goose shit and can line up outside, inside in the backfeild and return kicks. You cant cover that guy. He has moves and is a bigtime playmaker. He is a threat to score on every play, which will make everyone one around him better.
    Yes, Austin is slippery and can make a ton of guys miss. His explosiveness and speed is unmatched in this draft at the WR position.

However, Austin is not someone that could line up at the X or Z position without having that play (or set of plays) tailored specifically to him. He's too small and he never had to beat press coverage at WVU (namely because Big12 defenses, collectively, stink...which is what Mizerooskie was getting at...that and WVU's offense is also designed for big offensive production). Additionally, Austin lined up almost exclusively in the slot at WVU and when he wasn't he was in pre-snap motion a lot. Why? Because those plays were designed to get him into open space. If the Ravens get Austin I'd be thrilled, but Austin and Hopkins are two very different types of receivers.

Regarding your comparison to Demetrius Williams, et al:
    Demetrius Williams never had a season with 60+ receptions and his best season yardage was 1059.
    Devard Darling's best season at Washington State was 54 receptions and 800 yards.
    Justin Harper wasn't even a starter at Va Tech. His best season was 41 receptions and 635 yards.

In the last two seasons Hopkins has over 2300 receiving yards on 154 receptions. So, in two seasons he has almost as many receptions as all three of the guys above in their best seasons. Additionally, Hopkins has 23 TD receptions in the past 2 seasons.

I'm not arguing that Clemson's offense isn't designed for big offensive production. However, I think you're dead wrong with Hopkins. Like I said, I wouldn't use a 1st on the guy, but if the Ravens traded back into round 2 and took him I definitely wouldn't be disappointed.

Blog Entries

They guy I like if they want to replace a Boldin type who was also a Qb, was the WR from KSTATE, I think Harper, big 6'1 233lbs and runs a 4.5 but played in running offense, but reliable hands and have very good hand eye coordination. Could be had in the 3-6 rounds. Or the WR from Va Tech was very Boldin like, but had bad QB play, or any of the Tennessee WR or Da rick Roger from Tenn Tech could be grabbed without giving up a first for them. I dont see that much difference in ability than these guys, except at Clemson cause of Qb and scheme got more chances.
    I'm just curious how you gathered that or was able to measure that? Seems rather subjective, don't you think? I mean, you could argue that DeAndre Hopkins has incredible hand-eye-coordination and there is a YouTube video where he is standing about 5 yards away from a "juggs" machine catching several footballs with just his right hand and then just his left hand.

I know him well. He doesnt do much for me. He runs like 5 yard curls, slants without great hands or separation in a spread offense. He doesnt ellude people and isnt overly tough with good YAC. Not a good jump ball guy either, not worth first rounder to me. He really doesnt have moves.
    Man, you're out to lunch on Hopkins. Not really sure how a guy averages 17.1 yards per catch running 5 yard curls and slants without eluding people. Austin averaged 11.3 yards per catch. So yeah, the guy that can't elude people and apparently only runs underneath routes somehow magically averaged 6 more yards per catch than the explosive, slippery, and un-coverable uber-prospect.

How many 'moves' does Larry Fitzgerald have? How about Anquan Boldin? Marvin Harrison? Reggie Wayne? Jerry Rice? 'Moves' are the most overrated aspect of a receiver. The ability to use route-running and smarts to separate from coverage and get open is far more important in the NFL.

And not a good jump-ball guy? There's 4 or 5 examples of him being an excellent jump-ball guy in this video:

I like Hopkins a lot I just wish he had a different QB to judge him from. Boyd is an amazing deep passer and good throwing on the run, but he is atrocious at short to medium passes so it's hard to get a good read on how well Hopkins would do on those plays.

Definitely wouldn't be upset if we drafted him though.