Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: The Ravens Draft: DeAndre Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Moves underrated really??? You must be a Clemson fan. I think he doesnt offer anything "special" and is generic and played in an offense that inflates numbers. Stats mean nothing to scouts, the eyeball test is what matters. Thier is so many players that have his skillset later in the draft, but not in a similar offense. Heck, even Maryland and thier boring offense made Vernon Davis look average, but his eyeball test made him a top 10 pick. Now, Watkins at Clemson is a very very special player.
    Vernon Davis was a consensus All-American and first team All-ACC his junior year (and last season at Maryland). He was a Mackey award finalist and had more receiving yards then any other tight end that year. He had almost 900 receiving yards and 6 TD's, which is pretty darn good for an 11 or 12 game season. If that's what you think is "average" then I guess I'll agree with you. Lol

I am a huge fan of Hopkins in the draft, but I don't see him making it past the Texans. The last couple years seem to have a WR run off of sorts, so I expect WRs being taken in bunches in the late 1st and early 2nd rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Moves underrated really??? You must be a Clemson fan. I think he doesnt offer anything "special" and is generic and played in an offense that inflates numbers. Stats mean nothing to scouts, the eyeball test is what matters. Thier is so many players that have his skillset later in the draft, but not in a similar offense. Heck, even Maryland and thier boring offense made Vernon Davis look average, but his eyeball test made him a top 10 pick. Now, Watkins at Clemson is a very very special player.
    Yes, the 'moves' you described (i.e. the ability to juke a guy with the ball in your hands and go for a TD on any play) are massively overrated. How many elite NFL receivers have those kinds of moves? How about not evading the question?

Why weren't Sammy Watkins' number inflated on Clemson this year? Why was no one else within 600 receiving yards of Hopkins? If he's so generic, his numbers should be repeatable by any average receiver in a big play offense. Again, Tavon 'god amongst men' Austin didn't put up Hopkins' numbers, and he played in a more prolific passing offense than Hopkins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Yes, the 'moves' you described (i.e. the ability to juke a guy with the ball in your hands and go for a TD on any play) are massively overrated. How many elite NFL receivers have those kinds of moves? How about not evading the question?

Why weren't Sammy Watkins' number inflated on Clemson this year? Why was no one else within 600 receiving yards of Hopkins? If he's so generic, his numbers should be repeatable by any average receiver in a big play offense. Again, Tavon 'god amongst men' Austin didn't put up Hopkins' numbers, and he played in a more prolific passing offense than Hopkins.
    Like I said, I used the eyeball test. I am not a buyer of many Clemson players usually, except I thought Spiller had special talent. Moves get you OPEN. He doesnt have elite speed, hands, or size or moves, IMO. It's just my opinion, and I could be wrong. But when I see him play, I am not wowed. He got lots of opportunity. I dont see how he makes the Ravens better and dont see the upside. Rather use that pick on Carradine, Elam, Vaccarro and DL, or a TE (say Eiffert or Ertz) If you pick a TE, you can move Pitta to the slot, and improve blocking in the run game with extra TE and have elite speed on the outside with Jones, Thompson and of course Smith, Plus having 3 TE's all over 6'4 makes the RZ offense more effective. I dont see Hopkins bringing a different element to the offense, just my opinion. Austin does create mismatches, cause of speed, moves, and can use him in the backfeild as well. On offense if they add a playmaker, I prefer he be big or fast to add another element. Let Reed, Thompson or Doss or later drafted WR fight it out for other spot. Reed is quick, Thompson (lightning fast), Doss good route runner with decent hands. Watch film of the WR from KSTATE, huge size...233lbs, 4.5 speed but played in a running offense and a former QB, low risk pick with high reward potential. Just my opinion and of course be wrong.

Hopkins may wall be the best receiver in the class at using double moves to get open. And likely has the best hands of any receiver in the class.

New mock draft from @McShay13 has #Ravens taking WR Quinton Patton (La. Tech) at pick No. 32 and center Travis Fredrick (Wisconsin) at 62.

I know it's one of many mocks, and no one really knows what Ozzie and Co. will do on draft day. I've still seen most mocks having the Ravens pickin Manti Te'o in the first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    New mock draft from @McShay13 has #Ravens taking WR Quinton Patton (La. Tech) at pick No. 32 and center Travis Fredrick (Wisconsin) at 62.

I know it's one of many mocks, and no one really knows what Ozzie and Co. will do on draft day. I've still seen most mocks having the Ravens pickin Manti Te'o in the first.
    Who are these "experts?" Off the top of my head - Zach Ertz (TE, Stanford) and Jon Bostic (ILB, Florida) would be better picks, and I'm sayin' they won't be Ozzie's choices either...just better than the great McShay... Bc