Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Most Overpaid Free Agents

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...-thats-rich-13

The 2013 free agency period has slowed considerably since mid-March, giving us time to reflect fully upon signings that took place over the past three weeks. Let's take a look back at players whose recently-signed contracts don't match their on-field performance.

Bang it here for my Most Overpaid Free Agents column from 2012.

1. Eagles cornerback Cary Williams

On a disappointing 2013 cornerback market, just seven corners reached the $5 million-per-year benchmark with their new contracts. They were Brent Grimes ($5.5 million), Sean Smith ($5.5 million), Keenan Lewis ($5.1 million), Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie ($5 million), Chris Houston ($5 million), Derek Cox ($5 million). And, finally, Cary Williams ($5.67 million).

Not only did Williams receive the biggest annual average of this year's free-agent cornerback group, he got the most guaranteed money ($10.5 million). As Eric Decker, Brandon Lloyd, and Dez Bryant can all attest, Williams is a weak cover man. Pro Football Focus charted Williams as the No. 69 cornerback in football last season, and tied for 78th in pass coverage. Only four corners in the NFL allowed more touchdown passes. According to STATS ICE, Williams' 64.9 "burn rate" was second worst in this year's free-agency class (ahead of only still-unsigned Tracy Porter). No free-agent cornerback allowed more "burned yards" than Williams.

Williams played strictly right cornerback in Baltimore. In the NFC East, Dez Bryant, Pierre Garcon, and Hakeem Nicks all run the majority of their pass routes versus right corners. Assuming he's used at the same position in Philadelphia, that trio is going to love facing Williams twice a year.

2. Dolphins linebacker Dannell Ellerbe

Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome is arguably the best in the business at what he does. Newsome identified Ellerbe as a $5 million-per-year player and didn't budge. Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland, notorious for overpaying players because free agents don't want to play for his team, swooped in to pay Ellerbe $34.75 million over five seasons, with $14 million guaranteed. The $6.95 million annual average is nearly $2 million more per year than Newsome's evaluation of Ellerbe's worth.

Ellerbe, 6-foot-1 and 240 pounds, is a nice young player at 27 years old. He plays fast and physical and emerged last season as a productive inside blitzer, registering 4 1/2 sacks. But Ellerbe struggles mightily in pass coverage, has only been an every-down player for roughly half of one NFL season, and has never been to a Pro Bowl.

Ellerbe is now one of the eight highest paid inside linebackers in the league. He's making more money than far superior ILBs Navorro Bowman (49ers), Daryl Washington (Cardinals), and Derrick Johnson (Chiefs), each of whom received relatively recent contract extensions.
    Can't say I disagree...

Blog Entries

Re: Most Overpaid Free Agents

Where's Kruger? I honestly think Kruger's contract was the worst of the three.

Glad to see someone else sees what we all already knew! Williams & Ellerbe (though good) were obviously overpaid.

Agreed. They make good points on Williams and Ellerbe, but Kruger has got to be in the mix as well.

Blog Entries

“When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Add Romo to that list.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Add Romo to that list.
    He wasn't a free agent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Where's Kruger? I honestly think Kruger's contract was the worst of the three.
    I don't think Kruger is in the Terrell Suggs/Clay Matthews/Demarcuss Ware league of 3-4 OLBs yet, but he is up there and has developed well in the last two seasons. I think he got market price for what he is, which is a productive pass rusher who can take over games at times. Kruger could even get better than what he is now, and that deal wont look so bad next season if it happens.

I prefer getting Doom for a cheaper price than Kruger, and I think he is an overall better player, but that doesn't mean that Cleveland got a bad deal here IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't think Kruger is in the Terrell Suggs/Clay Matthews/Demarcuss Ware league of 3-4 OLBs yet, but he is up there and has developed well in the last two seasons. I think he got market price for what he is, which is a productive pass rusher who can take over games at times. Kruger could even get better than what he is now, and that deal wont look so bad next season if it happens.

I prefer getting Doom for a cheaper price than Kruger, and I think he is an overall better player, but that doesn't mean that Cleveland got a bad deal here IMO.
    Kruger has 15 1/2 career sacks. Doom did more than that in 1 season

Blog Entries

When you consider Kruger's contract you have to factor in who offered it. Teams stuck at or near the bottom of their divisions with little postseason history generally have to pay a premium to land FAs. (Cf. Orioles, Baltimore.*) Cleveland may not be half-bad this season, but they've still got to clamber over the young & improving Bengals, the always-in-the-hunt Stealers, & the frickin' defending champeens. Facing that, they need a lot of buy-in from their roster--& it's real hard to get buy-in from FAs without (over)paying them.

* Yes, the Os' problems are compounded by a league with no salary cap, 2 teams in their division with more cash than God, & an owner who, even if not genetically a cheap & greedy bastard, is ethnoculturally inhibited from spending from fear of the loss of face from getting snookered on a deal. But the principle is the same.

Conversely, FAs are generally open to taking less money from a perennial contender, especially if they've never/rarely tasted the post season, & most especially if that team can make a convincing argument that "we're just a couple of guys away from winning it all [again], & you're one of them!" (Cf. Ravens, Baltimore.)

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He wasn't a free agent.
    Oh yeah, you're right. Over paid none the less.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    When you consider Kruger's contract you have to factor in who offered it. Teams stuck at or near the bottom of their divisions with little postseason history generally have to pay a premium to land FAs. (Cf. Orioles, Baltimore.*) Cleveland may not be half-bad this season, but they've still got to clamber over the young & improving Bengals, the always-in-the-hunt Stealers, & the frickin' defending champeens. Facing that, they need a lot of buy-in from their roster--& it's real hard to get buy-in from FAs without (over)paying them.

* Yes, the Os' problems are compounded by a league with no salary cap, 2 teams in their division with more cash than God, & an owner who, even if not genetically a cheap & greedy bastard, is ethnoculturally inhibited from spending from fear of the loss of face from getting snookered on a deal. But the principle is the same.

Conversely, FAs are generally open to taking less money from a perennial contender, especially if they've never/rarely tasted the post season, & most especially if that team can make a convincing argument that "we're just a couple of guys away from winning it all [again], & you're one of them!" (Cf. Ravens, Baltimore.)
    I can't blame Kruger at all. He already has his shiny SB ring in the mail. Now, he's got a fat paycheck to go with it care of the Browns. Must be nice.