Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Breakdown on Dumervil's Contract

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    That's one heck of a cap friendly deal. The only thing that derail this whole thing is if Dumervil plays lights out halfway through his contract and asks for a new deal.
    2 or 3 years of lights out play is a problem I would welcome. I don't think when he's 32 or 33 he's likely to complain about his contract.

Some of the comments from Denver fans on that blog are hilarious. Half are saying "good riddance" and claiming most of his success was due to Von Miller. One even called Elway "one of the best executives in the NFL". Delusional much?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Anyone who thinks Kruger could even sniff out Dumervil must be on acid........
    It comes down to whether you believe what we saw from Kruger was the start of a new trend for him or a fluke. I personally need to see more. For veteran players I prefer to see a trend over several seasons. If Kruger can do that while Dumervil is getting older and slowing down then he's the better player. Last year will be seen as his breakout season and the start of good things to come.

I'm just not convinced though because it took him so long to get to that point. Kruger needs to prove that last year was no fluke. I'd rather have Dumervil who proved himself years ago and still seems to be in his prime.

Some of the comments from Denver fans on that blog are hilarious. Half are saying "good riddance" and claiming most of his success was due to Von Miller. One even called Elway "one of the best executives in the NFL". Delusional much?

My girlfriends family are Broncos fans, right before the Divisional game all they could talk about in addition to Manning and the Offense was how great their Defense was and how Miller and Dumervil were the best pass rushing tandem in the league. I just talked to her brother today about the Dumervil signing, and now Dumervil is "overrated" and "declining" and Von Miller is so much better. I told him with Dumervil gone and Bailey on the downside there Defense could be alot worse, he said in typical douschebag fashion that Our team will be 5-11 because Flacco's contract caused all of our best players to leave, and Denver will win the Superbowl because they have Choker McForhead.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Anyone who thinks Kruger could even sniff out Dumervil must be on acid........
    It'll be really hard for him to succeed in Cleveland. There is a pox upon that franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven52 View Post

My girlfriends family are Broncos fans, right before the Divisional game all they could talk about in addition to Manning and the Offense was how great their Defense was and how Miller and Dumervil were the best pass rushing tandem in the league. I just talked to her brother today about the Dumervil signing, and now Dumervil is "overrated" and "declining" and Von Miller is so much better. I told him with Dumervil gone and Bailey on the downside there Defense could be alot worse, he said in typical douschebag fashion that Our team will be 5-11 because Flacco's contract caused all of our best players to leave, and Denver will win the Superbowl because they have Choker McForhead.
    Fans of other teams are barking, but with their ears pinned back and their tails between their legs. They're making a lot of noise but they are scared of a 27 year old QB, who is just now entering the prime of his career, but already has a Super Bowl ring. They are scared of arguably the best running back tandem in the league. They are scared of what very well could be the best pass rushing tandem in the league. They are scared of the most dynamic kick returner in the league. They are scared of one of the league's most promising, young deep threats. Most of all, the are at once in awe of and petrified by arguably the league's best front office.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Kruger better than Doom? That's a hard one to swallow. Doom has almost 70 sacks under his belt and is still in his prime. Kruger might continue to get better, might not. Its gonna be a lot harder to do on the sorry ass Browns. Doom is much more of a known commodity and much more accomplished.
    That's my opinion as well. Kruger's only consistent stretch of productivity at the NFL level were the 10-12 games immediately prior to his free agency. Dumervil has had a consistent productivity for 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Browns have tons of cap space and need to get to the cap floor. They're in a different situation than we are. I do think we ended up with the better player which is great.
    That doesn't justify overpaying though. Your defense is that they had money to blow, so why not blow it as recklessly as possible? They could have signed Avril, a more accomplished, more proven player for less than what they gave Kruger (assuming he was willing to come to Cleveland...a big if). They could have signed a bunch of other veterans on the cheap, but they chose to overpay.

Some would argue that overpaying a guy is the only way to get them to play in Cleveland, which is a whole different argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Right on, GOTA. . If Suggs plays well and Doom doesn't, it could easily be a 1-year deal (2.5 mil in year 1 and $6 million in dead money in 2014). If Doom plays well and Suggs doesn't, Doom could be the stop gap if Suggs must be released.

There is nothing in the Raven front office history that indicates that they would eat $6m in dead money for a player that in base salary. That really makes no sense. The Ravens would be paying Dumervil an equal amount not play for them than to play for them. Additionally, there are nearly $20m in cap figure raises coming to Webb, Ngata, Flacco, and Rice in 2014, making it a very tight year from a salary cap standpoint.

2014 is not the year to carry $6m in dead money. There are a lot of concerns about our 2014, but one of the few pluses is that the rough $7m that we are carrying in dead money on this 2013 cap from Birk, Lewis, Cundiff, and Boldin will all be gone and replaced by just $1.5 from Pollard (to this point).