Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breakdown on Dumervil's Contract

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 3m On base deal, Dumervil's Cap #'s will be $2.5M ('13),$3.375M ('14),$6.375M ('15),$6.375M ('16) & $7.375M ('17). Escalators will change that

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 9m As reported, Dumervil's contract has a base value of $26M, but contains incentive and escalators that, if earned, could push total to $35M.

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 12m Elvis Dumervil's contract has base salaries of $1M (in 13 & 14),$4M (in 15 & 16),$5M in 17. Received bonuses of $7.5M in 13 & $3.5M in '14
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Re: Breakdown on Dumervil's Contract

Meanwhile, Paul Kruger's first year cap figure of $8.1m is 37% higher than Dumervil's 2013 and 2014 cap figures COMBINED.

Blog Entries

The Browns have tons of cap space and need to get to the cap floor. They're in a different situation than we are. I do think we ended up with the better player which is great.

That's one heck of a cap friendly deal. The only thing that derail this whole thing is if Dumervil plays lights out halfway through his contract and asks for a new deal.

Blog Entries

I'm really surprised he couldn't get more than that on the open market. Still can't believe he fell in our lap.

According to this article he took less to play with us. Elway pissed him off indeed... http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...-ravens/19017/

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Browns have tons of cap space and need to get to the cap floor. They're in a different situation than we are. I do think we ended up with the better player which is great.
    Right on, GOTA. The Browns spent money today to KEEP cap for the future. The Ravens backloaded and will have more difficult cuts to make the next 2 seasons.

For what it's worth, I think Kruger is the better player of the 2 and it's not really close. Doom will likely be a more productive pass rusher with fewer snaps, but that doesn't make up for the expected changes in productivity for age and the big edge Kruger had in 2012 pressure. Both players are limited versus the run or in coverage, so if they have a role to emphasize their pass rush skills, I expect Kruger will outplay Dumervil.

That said, I love the optionality of Dumervil's contract. If Suggs plays well and Doom doesn't, it could easily be a 1-year deal (2.5 mil in year 1 and $6 million in dead money in 2014). If Doom plays well and Suggs doesn't, Doom could be the stop gap if Suggs must be released.

Blog Entries

Kruger better than Doom? That's a hard one to swallow. Doom has almost 70 sacks under his belt and is still in his prime. Kruger might continue to get better, might not. Its gonna be a lot harder to do on the sorry ass Browns. Doom is much more of a known commodity and much more accomplished.

This seems even more fishy to me now that Denver got greedy and was trying to save every penny. Every Denver fans see this as Dumerville and his agent effed up and were fighting the cut to the last minute and screwed it up - I mean, how could John Elway do wrong?

Even if Dumerville's play wasn't up to par with $12mil, you don't go making media comments like "his contract is so far out of whack" like Elway did IMO. I mean, your team agreed to that out-of-whack contract. The guy wanted to stay in Denver and was ready to take a cut from $12mil to 8mil, and somehow the agent didn't get the fax in on time? One of the rumors was Denver messed with the deal at the 11th hour. My guess is Doom was holding out but once he was ready to give, they tried to squeeze a little more at the last minute knowing he wanted to stay, and left egg on the face of Dumerville and his agent. He made a comment on Sirius about he had to part ways with a friend (his agent) because of it, and said all parties shared blame. Then on the new offer, asked him to take a further cut because of the cap hit. That probably put him over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Kruger better than Doom? That's a hard one to swallow. Doom has almost 70 sacks under his belt and is still in his prime. Kruger might continue to get better, might not. Its gonna be a lot harder to do on the sorry ass Browns. Doom is much more of a known commodity and much more accomplished.
    Biggest part of this is surrounding talent. Doom has a hell of a lot more talent around him in Baltimore than Kruger in Browns. This will effect performance. Suggs and Doom rushing the edges are scary and with Ngata, Canty and Spears/McPhee/Jones on the inside... I'd say that's better than the Broncos pass rush last year
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Denver Post has inside info on comparison of Denver and Baltimore offers:
    I have the details to the five-year contract Elvis Dumervil signed with the Baltimore Ravens.

And upon closer inspection, Dumervil wasn’t fibbing when he said it wasn’t about the money.

Let’s compare the Ravens’ contract to the Broncos offer. First the Ravens:

2013: $1 million salary; $7.5 million signing bonus = $8.5 million (fully guaranteed)
    2014: $1 million salary; $3.5 million option bonus (injury-only guarantee) = $4.5 million
    2015: $4 million salary
    2016: $4 million salary
    2017: 5 million salary

TOTALS
    1 year: $8.5 million
    2 years: $13 million
    3 years: $17 million
    5 years: $26 million ($5.2 million/yr average)
    Full guarantee: $8.5 million
    Escalators: $7 million; incentives: $2 million

BRONCOS
    2013: $5 million salary; $3 million signing bonus = $8 million (fully guaranteed)
    2014: $5 million ($2 million fully guaranteed)
    2015: $5 million

TOTALS
    1 year: $8 million
    2 years: $13 million
    3 years: $18 million ($6 million/yr average)
    Full guarantee; $10 million.
    Escalators: At least $2 million; $1 million each of first two years with 12 sacks.

CONCLUSION:
    Most agents and executives within the industry would say the Broncos offered a slightly better deal because they had more unconditional guaranteed money and a better three-year average. The escalators for both the Ravens and Broncos were built around a 12-sack season.

Moreover, don’t forget the Broncos paid Dumervil $31.2 million the previous three years; $28 million in the past two. And throughout the free-agent process, the Broncos had a better deal on the table than the Ravens in year one and two. If it was about the money, Dumervil would have signed back with the Broncos before Sunday.

This was not about the money. This was about a broken relationship between the Broncos and Dumervil, and the Ravens showering Dumervil with love.
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...cos%3A+Blog%29
    Last edited by bt12483; 03-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Anyone who thinks Kruger could even sniff out Dumervil must be on acid........
    Way Down South in New Orleans