Blog Entries

Connected, but alone?

This is a very good speech. I love technology and the benefits of it, but as I see how much it takes away from actual person to person interaction and question how much longer the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks.

Anyway, this is a good thought provoking speech, worth the 20 minutes to watch.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turk..._together.html

Love TED speeches!

But alas, I do take exception with this theory. Yes, more technology *can* lead to a lack of connectivity amongst ourselves but I don't this its automatic.

As someone who has family and friends spread out all over the country, I am almost as connected to them as I used to be thanks to social media.

Like many things in life, its about how it's used.

Blog Entries

Re: Connected, but alone?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Love TED speeches!

But alas, I do take exception with this theory. Yes, more technology *can* lead to a lack of connectivity amongst ourselves but I don't this its automatic.

As someone who has family and friends spread out all over the country, I am almost as connected to them as I used to be thanks to social media.

Like many things in life, its about how it's used.
    I agree to a point. I am connected to family that I don't live near thanks to technology and social media, but it's the level of connection that she is referring to that I agree with that can become a problem.

It's different for people like us who've grown up with out technology but for kids who that's all they've known it has the potential to cause problems in how they interact with each other if they never do it. What is the stat, 90% of communication is non-verbal (or close to it). If people only text, or email or whatever how do you develop that skill to communicate if you don't do it? It reminds me of most people I know who are home-schooled, they are typically awkward it settings with a group of people.

I could go on about this topic all day, and I feel like a grouchy old man not wanting the world to advance past what it is (although that's not exactly the case). I just know that there is no way in the world I could do the job I do or the jobs I've done if I grew up texting and emailing instead of hanging out and talking to people. And I wonder with watching my nephews traveling 8 hours to see me while they spend the majority of their day with their phones glued to their hands texting away, how are they ( and kids of this and the next generation) developing the skills of communication?

I agree with your points but not the conclusion.

It comes down to parenting. Don't know if I revealed this yet, but Mrs HR is pregnant and she's due end of July. We've had talks about this very topic and we want to work hard to raise our daughter without as much influence of social media as other kids seem to have.

Easier said then done, I know, but I think we're still ahead of the game

I hear what your saying though. I see kids at restaurants and their heads are plugged into some game or iPad, not saying a word. I feel sad for them.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it was briefly discussed at that awesome breakfast. I don't know that you've revealed what you're having yet though.

I 100% agree it comes down to parenting, but as many teachers (or at least the good ones) will tell you the problem with the overwhelming majority of kids is parenting.

Another point, is the more technology changes and the more it becomes the norm to have a smart phone, or carry and Ipad mini etc. the more it will become the norm for parents to allow it. So overtime, regardless of parenting, I do think the skill of communication will decrease even if only slightly.

EDIT: Just over looked your having a girl. Awesome. I HIGHLY recommend this book (it even talks about this topic a bit) http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Fathers.../dp/0345499395
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 03-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks NC!

I ordered it and it's on my Kindle iPad app!

Blog Entries

You mean after this thread you didn't go for the paper version?

I travel for work.

Who's got space for a book?!?!

Blog Entries

I thought that's what the basket next to the crapper was for...?

First off, congrats HR. Your life is effectively over.:ww:

My four year old plays video games, both on his kindle and on my PS3. However, he only gets to play on the kindle one hour a day. The PS3 is a little different since we play Street Fighter in the mornings while his mom is getting ready for work. After we all get home, he and I spend the majority of our time wrestling, arguing, or thinking of increasingly creative ways to annoy my wife. My new favorite is getting him to look at his mom, look at the floor, look back at her and start slowly shaking his head. He is great at human interaction, sometimes a little too good.

He and I have daddy/son day once a week where we go eat, then to the local arcade. We've been doing this for the better part of six months, so the people that work at the arcade know us pretty well. One day the guy working there just wasn't having a good day, so when we left I said, "Hope your day gets better." Breean walks around the counter, gives him a hug and a pat on the back, then leaves. The folks at the Chinese restaurant we frequent always come over and talk and he carries on a conversation with 'em.

The thing about having a kid that age is getting them around other kids. For the first two years, Breean went to daycare. Then my in-laws moved up here and they started keeping him. It's helped his learning, but he doesn't get daily interaction with kids his age. But the local library has a children's day every week, so he goes there. Plus church on Wednesdays and Sundays.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    First off, congrats HR. Your life is effectively over.:ww:
    But in a good way. My new job of stay-at-home Dad begins just in time for the next football season. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    The thing about having a kid that age is getting them around other kids. For the first two years, Breean went to daycare. Then my in-laws moved up here and they started keeping him. It's helped his learning, but he doesn't get daily interaction with kids his age. But the local library has a children's day every week, so he goes there. Plus church on Wednesdays and Sundays.
    Agreed. We're already looking at the local parents groups to get involved with so Lil' HR will have freinds when she's ready to hang with her peeps.