Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: New LT on the market - Gaither's available!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He did pretty well against the Giants with Caldwell calling the plays...

just saying...

Sometimes a good offensive coordinator can, you know, game plan around a team's weaknesses...
    One good game at LT does not make up for the dozen bad ones.He's just not a good LT and he never will be.Just because he can pull off the occasional decent game at the position doesn't mean that he should be playing there full time.Oher=Not a good LT.Cam=Not a good OC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    One good game at LT does not make up for the dozen bad ones.He's just not a good LT and he never will be.Just because he can pull off the occasional decent game at the position doesn't mean that he should be playing there full time.Oher=Not a good LT.Cam=Not a good OC.
    Well, I actually think the sample size of Oher at LT with Caldwell designing plays and calling them is too small to claim that he'll never be a good LT under Caldwell. Secondly, we don't know how Juan Castillo fits into all of this. He was VERY successful with a lot of different caliber linemen while in Philly.

Oher with Cam as the OC? Sure, you certainly have an argument. However, Flacco looked to have "plateaued" in many fan's eyes while under Cam. I'd say he flourished once Caldwell took over, wouldn't you say?

The point is that it is possible to get serviceable (not great) LT play from Oher with Caldwell calling the shots.

Furthermore, everyone calling for McKinnie to come back and now calling for Gaither are out of their friggin' minds. The only way McKinnie comes back here is if he gets paid big bucks on a multi-year deal. He's already made that abundantly clear. The only way the Ravens agree to a deal with McKinnie is if it is a 1-2 year deal for practically vet minimum, no signing bonus, and probably very little guaranteed. Why? Because the dude has a history of kicking back in the off-season and reporting to training camp out of shape. It happened in Minnesota. It happened in Baltimore.

I completely 100% feel that this coaching staff is ok with going into next season with Oher and KO battling for the LT position. Whoever loses goes back to RT. There are a lot of solid guard prospects in this draft that could start at LG from the get-go. It just isn't that way with OT. Maybe the Ravens will get lucky with someone like Chris Faulk, Terron Armstead, or Menelik Watson, but those are long shots anyway. The only other option is to trade up (way up) for Lane Johnson or Eric Fisher. Ozzie's probably not going to go for that. Even with 12 draft picks.

Like it or not, Oher is probably going to be the LT next year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

LOLOL zero risk!

Hey, who was it that was wondering if Gaither had any supporters left?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    LOLOL zero risk!

- C -
    <raises hand from back of room>

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    LOLOL zero risk!

- C -
    If being a talented but lazy and unmotivated LT was a product, Gaither is the new and improved version to McKinnies original recipe. Two guys immensely talented but just no professional pride.

I get McKinnie played well in the playoffs. I just doubt he can sustain that for an entire camp, preseason, regular season and post season. Unless the Ravens get him as cheap as last season I would take my chances with Starks who is less talented but works hard and a draft pick or KO and whatever LT you can draft.

Personally I thought it was a brilliant move recognizing that McKinnie can give you the short burst of excellent play but was not in condition to play the whole season. A lesser team might have forced the issue. It turned out that strategically timing when he contributed payed off bigtime.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    If being a talented but lazy and unmotivated LT was a product, Gaither is the new and improved version to McKinnies original recipe. Two guys immensely talented but just no professional pride.

I get McKinnie played well in the playoffs. I just doubt he can sustain that for an entire camp, preseason, regular season and post season. Unless the Ravens get him as cheap as last season I would take my chances with Starks who is less talented but works hard and a draft pick or KO and whatever LT you can draft.

Personally I thought it was a brilliant move recognizing that McKinnie can give you the short burst of excellent play but was not in condition to play the whole season. A lesser team might have forced the issue. It turned out that strategically timing when he contributed payed off bigtime.
    If Starks is there past June 1st, I could see him being targeted.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

We laugh about any supporters, but in the comments of the PFT article, you can see someone is already thinking "sign him to a 1 year incentive laden deal and his back will be fine again"

You can't pay your starting LT on a year to year basis...which says a lot about the Bryant McKinnie situation as well.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    We laugh about any supporters, but in the comments of the PFT article, you can see someone is already thinking "sign him to a 1 year incentive laden deal and his back will be fine again"

You can't pay your starting LT on a year to year basis...which says a lot about the Bryant McKinnie situation as well.
    Plus do you trust Gaither protecting your highly paid QB? I don't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Plus do you trust Gaither protecting your highly paid QB? I don't.
    If his money runs out, I see him doing a Bryant McKinnie...he'll need money, so he'll turn it on and play well. Then when he's got money, he'll get lazy again.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If his money runs out, I see him doing a Bryant McKinnie...he'll need money, so he'll turn it on and play well. Then when he's got money, he'll get lazy again.
    That is what his pattern has been. It is not like he never played well. I can see teams not wanting to even give him another shot, but really there is almost zero risk if there is no bonus. He would have to work hard in camp to even make the roster and get one check.

There are plenty of guys out there that work harder at it than McKinnie and Gaither, but when they just try a little bit they play way better than any of the try hard guys available.

Also I am not a "Gaither supporter" I just do not give a crap about taking low risk high reward gambles on talent with attitude issues. Money is a good motivator, the lack of it is anyway.

:T2:

Gaither has to be the most infuriating player of all-time for me. If he would have worked half as hard as any normal NFL player he could have been a multiple probowl player. But even when he was actually trying a little early in his career he still played down to the level of his opponents. He'd shut out Harrison and Freeney then gave up 2 sacks to Derrick "I made 8 sacks in my NFL career" Harvey in one game.

As far as LT goes this year I'd just bring back McKinney, I know he said he won't take less this year, but once he realizes no one is going to pay him much more than the vet minimum, and no one is going to give him a multi-year deal, he'll come around.

If for some reason we don't end up signing him I'd sooner start Harewood or Jack Cornell at LT over Oher. I don't understand why people are saying he played well there under Caldwell, he gave up 3 pressures, had 3 penalties (holding, false start, and chop block shared with Reid) and had a terrible game run blocking with 8 missed blocks vs. the Giants (his PFF grade was -1.6, the only player on our entire offense who had a negative grade and our own Filmstudy gave him 0.65 per play or a D+). I personally would rather be well above at 4 positions and awful at LT than awful at LT and average to below average at 2-3 more. Of course this is assuming Gradkowski is at least average.