Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New LT on the market - Gaither's available!

Blog Entries

We laugh about any supporters, but in the comments of the PFT article, you can see someone is already thinking "sign him to a 1 year incentive laden deal and his back will be fine again"

You can't pay your starting LT on a year to year basis...which says a lot about the Bryant McKinnie situation as well.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    We laugh about any supporters, but in the comments of the PFT article, you can see someone is already thinking "sign him to a 1 year incentive laden deal and his back will be fine again"

You can't pay your starting LT on a year to year basis...which says a lot about the Bryant McKinnie situation as well.
    Plus do you trust Gaither protecting your highly paid QB? I don't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Plus do you trust Gaither protecting your highly paid QB? I don't.
    If his money runs out, I see him doing a Bryant McKinnie...he'll need money, so he'll turn it on and play well. Then when he's got money, he'll get lazy again.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If his money runs out, I see him doing a Bryant McKinnie...he'll need money, so he'll turn it on and play well. Then when he's got money, he'll get lazy again.
    That is what his pattern has been. It is not like he never played well. I can see teams not wanting to even give him another shot, but really there is almost zero risk if there is no bonus. He would have to work hard in camp to even make the roster and get one check.

There are plenty of guys out there that work harder at it than McKinnie and Gaither, but when they just try a little bit they play way better than any of the try hard guys available.

Also I am not a "Gaither supporter" I just do not give a crap about taking low risk high reward gambles on talent with attitude issues. Money is a good motivator, the lack of it is anyway.

Gaither has to be the most infuriating player of all-time for me. If he would have worked half as hard as any normal NFL player he could have been a multiple probowl player. But even when he was actually trying a little early in his career he still played down to the level of his opponents. He'd shut out Harrison and Freeney then gave up 2 sacks to Derrick "I made 8 sacks in my NFL career" Harvey in one game.

As far as LT goes this year I'd just bring back McKinney, I know he said he won't take less this year, but once he realizes no one is going to pay him much more than the vet minimum, and no one is going to give him a multi-year deal, he'll come around.

If for some reason we don't end up signing him I'd sooner start Harewood or Jack Cornell at LT over Oher. I don't understand why people are saying he played well there under Caldwell, he gave up 3 pressures, had 3 penalties (holding, false start, and chop block shared with Reid) and had a terrible game run blocking with 8 missed blocks vs. the Giants (his PFF grade was -1.6, the only player on our entire offense who had a negative grade and our own Filmstudy gave him 0.65 per play or a D+). I personally would rather be well above at 4 positions and awful at LT than awful at LT and average to below average at 2-3 more. Of course this is assuming Gradkowski is at least average.

Blog Entries

Yea, it's infuriating to see all that talent waisted. We got at least 1 good year out of him. NOt bad for a supplemental pick.

But think about what Ray said about JO. He said JO would have been the best player to ever play the game if he had better work ethics instead of just the best LT that ever played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    But think about what Ray said about JO. He said JO would have been the best player to ever play the game if he had better work ethics instead of just the best LT that ever played the game.
    Apparently I missed that. When did Ray say that?
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.

Blog Entries

"if only we had gaither on the roster we would win the super bowl!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Yea, same as they were with Pollard, Boldin and Reed-lol; at least as far as management was
    concerned.

The dude is huge. I met him and camp where he was actually a nice guy. He was smiling and signing autographs for everyone unlike, um, my name sake Flacco. He wouldn't sign for me, just the little kids. I said come on Joe, I spend $200 pr game to watch you play but McNair wouldn't sign for adults either.

Anyway, Gaither was a hit at camp. He just hates to work-lol.

Anyone remember Dobbie Gillis and every time someone said work Maynard (Bob Denver) yelled - WOOOORRKKKK!

That's Gaither.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man...f_Dobie_Gillis
    I guess nice guys don't always work. Strange story about Flacco though. I ran into him at Double T after a 2011 home game. A nicer and more gracious guy you never did meet when it came to chatting with the fans, giving out the autographs and posing for pictures. I found him to be a pretty down to earth dude who signed for everyone, kids and older kids like yours truly! My boys were thrilled meeting him.

I think I'd rather see Billy Cundiff back in camp before a Gaither sighting. I don't care if he would play for $8.00 an hour. No thanks.

Blog Entries

Yea, like I said he's great with the kids and has one himself. That day Joe wouldn't sign for adults at camp. Ray and Reed stayed late out in the blistering sun signing til everyone left. Ray signed my jersey and hat and Reed signed my hat and was holding babies and taking his pic with them. Reed was the coolest Raven of them all at camp. It hurts so bad to see him gone.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-28-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    <raises hand from back of room>
    Nonononono... You just pointed out that there would be supporters. Someone else had asked whether or not anyone was left that supported him!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    but really there is almost zero risk if there is no bonus. He would have to work hard in camp to even make the roster and get one check.

Also I am not a "Gaither supporter" I just do not give a crap about taking low risk high reward gambles on talent with attitude issues. Money is a good motivator, the lack of it is anyway.
    First off, don't act like taking up a roster spot in camp isn't a big deal. It is.

But more importantly, that's not the real risk. The real risk is, he does exactly what he did in San Diego. He plays hard for a while, looks good, earns trust, and he's in the game starting. Then, suddely, he gets lazy around Jared Allen who kills our $120MM quarterback and Flacco never plays the same again.

This isn't no risk. This would be super-ultra-mega high risk to bring in a lazy piece-of-shit dirtbag player that couldn't hack it on three different teams and who's last team cut him taking a $6MM hit doing so because their players were saying "F*** him he cost us big time" in order to potentially win the job protecting the blind side of the guy you just made the highest paid player in the game.

If anything, it's the opposite of what you suggest... It's a high risk, low reward move. You rent a guy for one year, hoping he plays well enough to keep your top paid player well protected. He has no future here, cause as soon as he gets paid, he's gonna quit again. It's a one year rental you hope can play well, and if he doesn't, it's a potential unmitigated disaster.

No.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

not only no but fuck no

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

It's a high risk, no reward move.
    Fixed it.

It's hard to imagine any front office in the NFL that would give Gaither a shot at this point. Well, maybe Dallas or Washington, but even their typical incompetence in these matters is restricted this year by salary cap woes.