Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: So what happens with Courtney Upshaw?

What I like about our OLBs is that they have all played some with their hand in the dirt at the line. Hell, even Upshaw played some ILB in college I believe. Versatility is a huge advantage, especially against the no huddle. It's also why I expect us to bring Huff in.

Not to take anything away from Upshaw, who I think will play enough snaps to qualify as a starter, but Elvis' weakness against the run are somewhat exaggerated I think. As a 4-3 DE he's a bit undersized, but he's prototypical weight for a 3-4 OLB and on plenty of run plays he'll be facing TEs and FBs rather than the tackles he had to contend with as a DE.

I foresee him, Upshaw, and Suggs spending plenty of time on the field together, but I think Upshaw's biggest contribution will be playing about a third of Suggs' and Doom's snaps each.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Dumervil is shit against the run. Upshaw is shit against the pass. Shit may be an overexaggeration, but you get the point. They compliment eachother very well. It will be a 3 man rotation with Suggs, Doom and Upshaw (not evenly, but they will all get snaps). Personally I think this benefits Upshaw. He can develop and he has 2 great mentors to help him with his pass rush. Good things take time

That's exactly what Younes said on 105.7 fm tonight. They will alternate them. This is great for Elvis because he will come in with fresh legs like Kruger and get even more sacks. Not sure if he knew that when he signed but he knows it now. He is rejoycing.

He also said the line will be Canty, Nata, McPhee and Arthur JOnes with spears backing them up on situational downs. Canty is the one who makes the d-line work because he won;t get knocked on his ass like Cody who will be on the bench or possibly even cut and Canty will protect Ngata.

Think about this. They have to double team Suggs even in the beginning of the season cause they're not sure how strong he is after coming off the injury. They will have to double team Ngata and they will have to double team Elvis. That will leave the middle wide open for Canty and Mcphee. It was the same with our receivers in the playoffs. They couldn't double team everyone and had to respect Torrey's speed on the outside. He always had their best corner and a safety covering him. That opened the middle for Pitta's TD.

The same will be with the middle of the d-line with Suggs and Elivis blitzing behind Canty and Ngata.

This is a top 3 unit.

YOunes also said they signed Elvis with Ellerbe's money - the offer he turned down.

Younes said this is a top 3 line.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-27-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Not to take anything away from Upshaw, who I think will play enough snaps to qualify as a starter, but Elvis' weakness against the run are somewhat exaggerated I think. As a 4-3 DE he's a bit undersized, but he's prototypical weight for a 3-4 OLB and on plenty of run plays he'll be facing TEs and FBs rather than the tackles he had to contend with as a DE.

I foresee him, Upshaw, and Suggs spending plenty of time on the field together, but I think Upshaw's biggest contribution will be playing about a third of Suggs' and Doom's snaps each.
    Disagree.

Doom is a straight up pure pass rusher. His flaw coming out of Louisville was run stopping. Same as it is today.

Fair enough HR. I don't expect him to be Jarret Johnson or even Upshaw in terms of edge setting, but I do think he'll be adequate. Think Kruger during the playoff run. Good enough to get the job done, but not feared on run downs.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Actually in 2009 Dumervil was pretty good at stopping the run in the 3-4.

And it was reported that they plan on using Courtney Upshaw as the "joker" and have all three on the field at the same time. Another thing to note is that back in 2011, we played the majority of snaps with 4 man fronts, Suggs would usually put his hand in he dirt, and Redding, believe it or not, played as the left power defensive end, with Ngata, Cody rotating with McPhee in the middle. Now I'm not saying this is what they're going to be doing, but it wouldn't surprise me if they move Sizzle over to left DE, and play Doom at right DE putting his hands in the dirt or standing up in a 2 point stance, and have Upshaw play the Jarrett Johnson role which was basically a tweener between a 3-4 edge rusher, and 4-3 strong side LB doing the dirty work.

Blog Entries

One of the reasons Elways stuck it to Elvis is that he is a 3-4 guy and their new D-coord installed a 4-3 D. Elway knew Doom's days were numbered anyway. Denver really didn't want him back. I believe the agent when he said Denver kept making last min changes to the contract and that's why he couldn't fax it back in time.

Elvis will look great splitting time with UPshaw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I would guess they will use him the same way they used him with Kruger last year.
    althought I dont think Dumervil is as bad against the run as some make him out to be, especially in a 3-4 where hes played his best football, Id assume Upshaw plays a very similar role. Not to mention his place at DE when were in 4-3 sub packages (where I think hes most natural). Hes going to see the field plenty, and still possess plenty of upside to be a possible replacement for either OLB.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Elvis just said he plays the run and rushes the passer. See Suggs recruitting Elvis thread.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I think between him and Sizzle and Elvis they'll make a great rotation on the outside. Their skills all compliment each other really well. But in general terms what I'd like to see with Courtney is him eventually develop into AD 2.0.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    I think between him and Sizzle and Elvis they'll make a great rotation on the outside. Their skills all compliment each other really well. But in general terms what I'd like to see with Courtney is him eventually develop into AD 2.0.
    Hes not nearly as athletically gifted as AD. It would be nice but thats like asking a bull to be a race horse.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Elvis will play both ends of the line, sometimes in a down position sometimes standing up. They can move them around, occasionally put Suggs in the interior or drop one of them into coverage. It's a great problem to have

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!