Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are the Ravens being built like the NY Giants?

The more I think about it, the more I think the Ravens are taking a page from the NY Giants book... Build your defense strong in the front 7 and plug in guys on the back end. If you look at the 2011 Super Bowl champs they had guys back there you wouldn't believe and they ended the season with Chase Blackburn as their MLB ... who before 2011 was mainly a special teams guy.

Of course they run a 4-3 and the Ravens are as much a 3-4 team as anything, but I'd match the new Raven front 7 (with whomever we end up with in the middle) in 2013 favorably against their Super Bowl winning front 7. Our corners are much better than they were.

The evolution of the Giants' secondary in 2011 was a textbook example of players and coaches overcoming adversity. Veterans Aaron Ross and Corey Webster formed a new starting duo at the corners, and rookie first-round draft choice Prince Amukamara returned from a broken foot in time to lend critical depth and athleticism late in the season. Safeties Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips protected the back end and stayed healthy long enough to push Big Blue to the precipice of another world championship.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...super-bowl-run

Blog Entries

Re: Are the Ravens being built like the NY Giants?

Ozzie and company just know that you need a solid front 7 to have a good defense. The front line was getting gashed last year, as we all saw last year. It's easier to find ILBs and Safeties then it is to find D-line and pass rush guys. Ozzie went out and got Spears and Canty to be part of the rotation as run-stoppers, and he got Doom as another pass rusher opposite Suggs. I really like what he's doing. They can sign Huff to play FS and maybe get a cheap FA ILB or draft one.

Blog Entries

I'd say they're built like the Squeelers. As much as we hate them we respect them and we play Squeelers football more than any other team and we've beaten them more than anyone. Besides, Piss has been to 3 SBs winning 2 or 3 while NY has 2 Lombardy's.

The AFC-N is the most physical division in football and playing PIss twice, sometimes thrice pr yr makes us tougher to beat the other good teams like NE, Denver and SF that are out of the division.

Just my humble freaking opinion.

Built like the Giants? Hmmm...

Well, people do love to hate on Joe Flacco just as many did (and do) hate on Eli Manning. A supposedly inconsistent QB who nevertheless makes big throws and wins in the postseason.

Seriously, there may be some parallels with the G-Men but strengthening the middle of your defense -- and in the Ravens' case hopefully getting younger & faster there -- only makes sense.

Blog Entries

Jerry Reese is really one of the best GMs in the NFL. I know he has no connection to Ozzie but these guys seem to share a lot of the same philosophy. They both like to keep their mouths shut and let their decisions do their talking for them. They get production from all rounds of the draft but aren't afraid to bring in the big free agent if he makes sense. They even share the same hair style. A lot of great things about the front offices of both these teams.

Blog Entries

They are, arguably, the top two GMs in the league.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They are, arguably, the top two GMs in the league.
    Can't argue with the hardware. Both got 2 rings.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    . Our middle run D was really the weakness of our D last year.
    And adding two interior defenders and moving our best player on the line into the middle on more snaps won't help that?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    And adding two interior defenders and moving our best player on the line into the middle on more snaps won't help that?
    Last time I checked our best player on the line is Ngata and he has been playing in the center of the line since he's been here. His job is to keep blockers off of the MLB. The ILB's have to make the tackles. Ellerbie did a decent job but Ray had little left in the tank. Take Ellerbie away and I say there's reason for concern. Don't get me wrong, I still believe Ozziw will come through with either a vet FA or a draft pick that will fill the gap, but until that happens I think we have reason to be concerned.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis