Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Could the Ravens pass on Minter?

I would like Minter... but Ozzie could pass up on him if there is another player that is better. Here are the other options that I wrote up:

http://russellstreetreport.com/looki...e-ravens-take/

I personally like the safety positon option.

Blog Entries

Re: Could the Ravens pass on Minter?

The Ravens value game tape and overall college production, over the scouting combine, among other factors. They've had certain players viewed with first round grades in the past, that many on the board would not have viewed with a first round grade. Torrey Smith comes to mind.

When you look at his college production and game tape, Minter checks out more for what they would ask their ILB to do than Ogletree and is more pro ready than Te'o.

How many guys have we seen that lacked the athleticism (Mainly speed) that we message board posters desire, only for the Ravens to draft them. Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, Jarret Johnson and many others. It hasn't been a mere case of only taking those guys in the later rounds either. Suggs and Reed were both first round picks. It's more of a possibility that he is a Raven than some want to admit, because he does not flash the athleticism they feel this defense needs.

However, you can be sure that he will be one of the considerations at 32 and will certainly be one of the considerations in a trade-back scenario.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I have thought for awhile that the Ravens would draft an OT in the first round, but I could also see them going for a safety. I think they will wait until the second round to draft an ILB. They may have to trade up in the second round to get a good one though. I really like Arthur Brown even more than Minter. However, now I am beginning to see some mock drafts that show Brown going in the first round. I still think that the ILBs will go in the second round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...own?id=2539245

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I have thought for awhile that the Ravens would draft an OT in the first round, but I could also see them going for a safety. I think they will wait until the second round to draft an ILB. They may have to trade up in the second round to get a good one though. I really like Arthur Brown even more than Minter. However, now I am beginning to see some mock drafts that show Brown going in the first round. I still think that the ILBs will go in the second round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...own?id=2539245
    I agree.

I just don't see any ILB's worth a first round pick.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I damn sure hope they do. Hate the pick

I really like Arthur Brown even more than Minter. However, now I am beginning to see some mock drafts that show Brown going in the first round.
    Brown is my favorite of the ILBs, and I think he fits well with what it seems like we're trying to do Defensively going forward.

The reason I think that you're seeing him in the 1st round (besides him deserving to be a 1st round pick...which I think he does) is that Brown can play ILB in a 34, but he could also play WLB in a 4-3. He is versatile in regards to the scheme he fits, and he's a REALLY good player.

We'll see how it goes. Like I said...whomever the choice ends up being, I'll get on board, because Ozzie has forgotten more than I'll ever know, but I am hoping for Brown, and would not be particularly excited to see Minter's name called at #32.

I have thought for awhile that the Ravens would draft an OT in the first round....
    Just curious here -- who would you see the Ravens taking in the first round as OT? I keep hearing how there are only three first-round caliber OT's --Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson -and they are all expected to be gone in the top 15 by every mock I've seen. I don't pretend to be an expert on the college prospects, but who do you see as being worthy at 32 (or the mid-to-late 20's in a trade-up scenario)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Just curious here -- who would you see the Ravens taking in the first round as OT? I keep hearing how there are only three first-round caliber OT's --Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson -and they are all expected to be gone in the top 15 by every mock I've seen. I don't pretend to be an expert on the college prospects, but who do you see as being worthy at 32 (or the mid-to-late 20's in a trade-up scenario)?
    That's an excellent question. That 4th guy is DJ Fluker and most mocks I see have him going before the Ravens pick as well. I've even seen ones where the 5th guy Menelik Watson is gone before the Ravens pick. Neither Watson nor Kyle Long are that exciting in round 1. I don't see Fluker as a LT in the NFL which makes him tough to draft given how many RTs are already on this team. I'd rather get a Jordan Mills on day 3 than invest a 1st rounder in guys who will be available near where we pick.

End of the 1st round possible picks

Safety? Outside of Vacarro, no other safety warrants a 1st round grade. It's a deep group, just not in round 1.

OT's- Possibly Watson; depends on if Ozzie sees him as that good and that's open for question.

ILB's- Perhaps Ogletree or Brown are worth a 1st round grade. Te'o and Minter aren't. Then you got some decent second choice ILB's in Alonzo and Bostic.

WR- This position might have the most options at the end of the first round, depending on how the draft shakes out. Austin and Patterson are most likely gone but Allen and Hopkins could both be there.

DT- Love to know the Ravens' take on a few of these guys like Short or Jesse Williams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    End of the 1st round possible picks

Safety? Outside of Vacarro, no other safety warrants a 1st round grade. It's a deep group, just not in round 1.
    Yeah but our problem is if we don't take one of these borderline rd one players at 32 they likely won't be there at 64. We might be forced to reach a little due to our late pick.

Yeah GOTA, I should have worded my question: "Who would be worthy as a first-round LT prospect at 32 or thereabouts?"

From what I've read, Fluker doesn't project at LT and Watson is supposedly something of a project (didn't we hear that about Ramon Harewood, and HE was a late-rounder). I hadn't known these two guys were being considered as 1st round material, but then that's why I'm asking to begin with.

If you're going to take an OT in the 1st round, I think it has to be a LT and has to be someone who can step in and do the job right away. I really doubt that's feasible given our draft spot.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 03-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Yeah GOTA, I should have worded my question: "Who would be worthy as a first-round LT prospect at 32 or thereabouts?"

From what I've read, Fluker doesn't project at LT and Watson is supposedly something of a project (didn't we hear that about Ramon Harewood, and HE was a late-rounder). I hadn't known these two guys were being considered as 1st round material, but then that's why I'm asking to begin with.

If you're going to take an OT in the 1st round, I think it has to be a LT and has to be someone who can step in and do the job right away. I really doubt that's feasible given our draft spot.
    Watson is a LIGHT YEARS better prospect than Harewood.

Per his FSU coach...

Listen, I've had four first-round draft picks but I've never had a guy do the things this kid could do," Trickett says, his voice still filled with wonder. "He's the most natural talent I've ever coached."
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.