Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Could the Ravens pass on Minter?

In general though, at #32 I'm hoping Oz can trade back and pick up enough ammo to move up and get a 2nd pick in the 3rd on top of 2 2nds without sacrificing so much that they can't move up a little later as well if need be. Four players from 2-3 in this draft (particularly at S, ILB, OL & WR/TE) could really provide great on field value to this team in 2013. They need to be stars, but if they can be on the level of Upshaw, I'd be salivating for the season.

For OT look no further than terron armstead, I think he will be a legit left tackle in a couple of years, much like staley is now for San Fran.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    For OT look no further than terron armstead, I think he will be a legit left tackle in a couple of years, much like staley is now for San Fran.
    Beyond his workout measurables, can you sell me on Armstead?

like Brown of KSU. Not sure I would spend a first round pick on an ILB. I would be shocked if Ozzie doesn't move up or down.

I really do not see what is so good about Minter, I have seen some his tape. Not that impressed. He also has difficulty in pass coverage due to his lack of speed and his inability to be flexible by opening up his hips.

Arthur Brown is clearly a better prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Beyond his workout measurables, can you sell me on Armstead?
    Watch his tape. He's got that elite first step, against the speed rushers he gets back doesnt square up his body where the defender can go either side of him, shuffles and uses his hands and feet speed to just push the passer on around the back of the QB, perfect tackle technique. He can pull and get to the second level, where so inexperience shows here, sometimes blocking the wrong man or missing entirely. Obviously that can be coached up.

He's strong but would need to hit the weight room specifically his legs to get a better anchor for the stronger pass rushers.

He's got all the potential in the world. He was Dominate in the east west shrine and senior bowl.

I didnt know who he was until the combine, I then went and watch about 8 games from his college and then the two all star games prior to the combine and was really really impressed. Rarely do you have a chance to hit on a left tackle this late, but I think he's that one of a kind that can do it.

His situation is so comparable to joe staley its eerie.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I guess I unnecessarily muddied the waters by bringing up Harewood.

What I'm really trying to ask is if Watson (or any other draft prospect NOT named Joeckel, Fisher, or Johnson) is capable of coming in and starting this year for the Ravens at LT? If not, then to me it doesn't make sense for the Ravens to draft a tackle in the first round.
    I don't know...I think He and Armstead have a shot.

I am not putting it past those 2 guys being able to start as rookies.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I don't know...I think He and Armstead have a shot.

I am not putting it past those 2 guys being able to start as rookies.
    Both are raw projects. Not saying they wont be good players, but I am jot sure they are round 1 guys.

If those are the targeted players, then I would hope they trade back.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Not in Round 1, but I'd be VERY interested in Terron Armstead. The big discussion we've had regarding LTs is the arm length. Filmstudy has theorized that anyone under 35" arms might as well be a pass at LT, because like Oher, shorter arm length makes it VERY easy for the big pass rushers to get around. For one to be very successful at LT, you should have the bigger arm length...

The list of OT prospects by arm length is here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/OT (Click on Arm Length button). Fluker has the longest, but many have said his other attributes suit him to RT more than left. Menelik has 34" arms like Terron. Really in this draft, there are no high tackle prospects in our range that have the arm length. Lane Johnson and DJ Fluker are the high ranked guys with bigger than 35". Next closest is Roger Gaines...the 21st ranked OT.

If you consider that it might be okay to go as low as 34" if you have a guy who has the other good attributes at LT, suddenly you see Joeckel, Fisher come into the picture, but they are too high as well. Next up would be Armstead and Watson. Armstead also had VERY quick numbers.

Like I said, not in Round 1, but maybe trade around to get him mid-Round 2.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Not in Round 1, but I'd be VERY interested in Terron Armstead. The big discussion we've had regarding LTs is the arm length. Filmstudy has theorized that anyone under 35" arms might as well be a pass at LT, because like Oher, shorter arm length makes it VERY easy for the big pass rushers to get around. For one to be very successful at LT, you should have the bigger arm length...

The list of OT prospects by arm length is here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/OT (Click on Arm Length button). Fluker has the longest, but many have said his other attributes suit him to RT more than left. Menelik has 34" arms like Terron. Really in this draft, there are no high tackle prospects in our range that have the arm length. Lane Johnson and DJ Fluker are the high ranked guys with bigger than 35". Next closest is Roger Gaines...the 21st ranked OT.

If you consider that it might be okay to go as low as 34" if you have a guy who has the other good attributes at LT, suddenly you see Joeckel, Fisher come into the picture, but they are too high as well. Next up would be Armstead and Watson. Armstead also had VERY quick numbers.

Like I said, not in Round 1, but maybe trade around to get him mid-Round 2.
    I can think of someone who has nearly 36" arms that is already on the line...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    I can think of someone who has nearly 36" arms that is already on the line...
    Referring to KO...Maybe, but I think it'd be better to draft some competition for him. If someone else can pan out at LT, he might be even better as a LG. I haven't heard much buzz about the G depth in this draft....
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Just curious here -- who would you see the Ravens taking in the first round as OT? I keep hearing how there are only three first-round caliber OT's --Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson -and they are all expected to be gone in the top 15 by every mock I've seen. I don't pretend to be an expert on the college prospects, but who do you see as being worthy at 32 (or the mid-to-late 20's in a trade-up scenario)?
    I had either Watson or Armstead in mind. I know they don't project as starters right away, but let's face it, getting a LT in the draft that can start right away is going to be tough unless the Ravens have a losing record. I would be in favor of them taking one of those two OT at 32, and bringing back McKinnie for 1-2 years and letting that young OT develop behind him.