Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Webb to safety?

Re: Webb to safety?

I actually like the idea of moving Jimmy Smith to FS.He has yet to show the cover skills to be an effective CB in the NFL but he does possess the size and speed to develop into a quality FS.Do you really want your former 1st round pick that you are paying big money to as your nickelback?

CB Webb
    CB Graham
    FS Smith
    SS Rhodes/Huff/Ihedigbo/Draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Could Webb play LT? No problems handling speed rushers.
    beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    .He has yet to show the cover skills to be an effective CB in the NFL
    Did you miss the Superbowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
    Did you miss the Superbowl?
    The one where the 49ers racked up almost 500 yards of offense including over 300 through the air and 31 points?

I also saw Smith burned consistently throughout the season including the first Denver game when Harbaugh benched him because of his poor play.

I don't understand why people are obsessed with this idea of converting cornerbacks to safety.

At least once a month I will hear someone who wants to convert X CB to FS.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

iggyman555 Guest

lets convert jimmy smith to FS and webb to SS...problem solved lol

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    I don't understand why people are obsessed with this idea of converting cornerbacks to safety.

Because we have an abundance of CBs and a dearth of safeties. :)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post

When a team is paying a player first round money he needs to be on the field as much as possible.Jimmy Smith is currently the 3rd maybe 4th best CB on the team but he has the potential to be the best FS.He's also 6'2 and over 200lbs and built perfectly for the position.They may as well try to get him on the field so he can contribute full time.

A CB being converted to S?

Blog Entries

When a team is paying a player first round money he needs to be on the field as much as possible.Jimmy Smith is currently the 3rd maybe 4th best CB on the team but he has the potential to be the best FS.He's also 6'2 and over 200lbs and built perfectly for the position.They may as well try to get him on the field so he can contribute full time.
    Jimmy Smith will be a starting CB. Probably the #3 CB which is basically starting nowadays. I could see Smith and Graham on the outside and Webb in the slot when they go Nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Because we have an abundance of CBs and a dearth of safeties. :)
    Every year?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

When we meet recievers like VJ, Jimmy better show up as CB not safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Every year?
    Not really, we have been set with one of the safety spots for a decade. :)

And we used to be searching for starting CBs in the offseason (Foxworth, Carr, Rolle, Washington, etc) unlike this year, imo.

I guess I wasn't aware the suggestion occurred every year like it is occurring this offseason.