Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 85 to 96 of 105
  1. #85

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.



    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    Some interesting things I gleaned about Dumervil and the Ravens' offseason plan in BAL today. First: Defensive overhaul is by design.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    The Ravens won the SB, but were 20th in total D. They felt they needed to upgrade. They feel like they've set themselves up to do it.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    Dumervil's $26M in base pay is 65% of what Kruger got. Ravens got Dumervil, Canty, Spears for price of Kruger. And they have 12 draft picks.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    As it sets up now, Ravens stand to be better on the LOS, at CB. They need help at S, ILB. Ex-Raider Michael Huff visits this week.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    ... And then, you have the 12 draft picks and a class that's strong up the middle on D.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    No. But decision to let the market settle was absolutely strategic. RT @dvlos56 @AlbertBreer they designed #WTFax???

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    One other thing, also sounds like we'll see Suggs, Dumervil and Upshaw together some. Maybe Suggs and Dumervil on edges, Upshaw as a Joker.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  2. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,292
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sweet!
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  3. #87

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    The only move that was purely by design, imo, was letting Pollard go. Kruger was always going to be too expensive whether we were going to try to keep everyone (not overhaul) or not. Ellerbe, on the other hand, we attempted to keep. So if Ellerbe settles for $4.5-$5M per year or whatever our offer was, then what? We still are "overhauling the defense by design" but doing it with Ellerbe, not Dumervil, and maybe Harrison or whoever is the next cheapest of the older FA pass rushers. Same with Reed to some extent, we made an offer, though I will admit that our offer to Reed was likely for appearance sake and had little chance of success, so maybe I count him in with Pollard as "by design."

    Same goes with Boldin's paycut offer. He accepts it and everything changes. And we did offer it (by some 'other' design).




  4. #88

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    Some interesting things I gleaned about Dumervil and the Ravens' offseason plan in BAL today. First: Defensive overhaul is by design.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    The Ravens won the SB, but were 20th in total D. They felt they needed to upgrade. They feel like they've set themselves up to do it.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    Dumervil's $26M in base pay is 65% of what Kruger got. Ravens got Dumervil, Canty, Spears for price of Kruger. And they have 12 draft picks.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    As it sets up now, Ravens stand to be better on the LOS, at CB. They need help at S, ILB. Ex-Raider Michael Huff visits this week.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    ... And then, you have the 12 draft picks and a class that's strong up the middle on D.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    No. But decision to let the market settle was absolutely strategic. RT @dvlos56 @AlbertBreer they designed #WTFax???

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    One other thing, also sounds like we'll see Suggs, Dumervil and Upshaw together some. Maybe Suggs and Dumervil on edges, Upshaw as a Joker.
    Ravens are taking chances with what becomes available. Ozzie has a keen mind and does what he thinks needs to be done. Can't argue with past history on his decisions. Five straight post season appearances, 2 SBs, and a couple of other postseason appearances before Flacco. Raven s will be competitive when the season starts, count on it. Other teams n eed their own Ozzie to be a complete team. The man has a touch at doing what can be done. Biscotti knows it, Harbaugh knows it, and most fans truly appreciate his knack for putting the right players on the team. The salary cap makes the greats shine and the Ravens are setting up for future stars and winning.




  5. #89
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    3,878

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The only move that was purely by design, imo, was letting Pollard go. Kruger was always going to be too expensive whether we were going to try to keep everyone (not overhaul) or not. Ellerbe, on the other hand, we attempted to keep. So if Ellerbe settles for $4.5-$5M per year or whatever our offer was, then what? We still are "overhauling the defense by design" but doing it with Ellerbe, not Dumervil, and maybe Harrison or whoever is the next cheapest of the older FA pass rushers. Same with Reed to some extent, we made an offer, though I will admit that our offer to Reed was likely for appearance sake and had little chance of success, so maybe I count him in with Pollard as "by design."

    Same goes with Boldin's paycut offer. He accepts it and everything changes. And we did offer it (by some 'other' design).

    This.




  6. #90

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The only move that was purely by design, imo, was letting Pollard go. Kruger was always going to be too expensive whether we were going to try to keep everyone (not overhaul) or not. Ellerbe, on the other hand, we attempted to keep. So if Ellerbe settles for $4.5-$5M per year or whatever our offer was, then what? We still are "overhauling the defense by design" but doing it with Ellerbe, not Dumervil, and maybe Harrison or whoever is the next cheapest of the older FA pass rushers. Same with Reed to some extent, we made an offer, though I will admit that our offer to Reed was likely for appearance sake and had little chance of success, so maybe I count him in with Pollard as "by design."
    I don't think Breer was saying that any given move - at least those acquired - was by design, but the overall approach - improve the DL and run D, move Ngata back to NT, replace Kruger pass rushing for cheaper, not overpaying to retain anyone (Ellerbe, Reed), use their draft picks to improve the depth and youth of the team - was certainly by design.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  7. #91

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I don't think Breer was saying that any given move - at least those acquired - was by design, but the overall approach - improve the DL, move Ngata back to NT, not overpaying to retain anyone, use their draft picks to improve the depth and youth of the team - was certainly by design.
    I agree with that, but then that is sort of obvious. Our defense wasn't great, so of course we want to strengthen it. Canty and Spears were picks that fit that bill.

    I am just saying that there sometimes is a tendency to claim or believe that Ozzie is sitting back saying "muahahahaha, things are falling right into place just like I planned (on March 1st)," when in reality it is more that Ozzie is scrambling repeatedly as his most-recent plan gets foiled by unpredicted circumstances or changed by other people's decisions.

    Being able to adjust well on the fly to these circumstances is obviously a large part of being a great GM, and Ozzie is a great GM. I just think there are times when Ozzie gets praise for foreknowledge that never existed (could never possibly exist) and for the results of decisions that were not his to make (whether Boldin or Ellerbe , etc, accept their offers). Not knocking Ozzie at all, just semi-knocking some of the effusive praise.




  8. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    518

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Do you think Ozzie's brain is going to give out like Ed's neck or Boldin's speed? Physical talent is fleeting, mental acuity is not. The fact that you'd try to correlate the two shows me that you're more interested in scoring zingers on people on a message board than actually exchanging ideas.
    I sure hope not lol, but are you saying that age only plays a role in physicality and not in brain function? If so I uh, don't know what else to say to that. Mental acuity can be one of the first things to go and in many cases is! I obviously don't think that will happen to Ozzie or anybody else in the FO and that's not the point I was making which I think you full well know. The point is that talent is talent, whether or not it's physical or mental. The greatest physical specimen can make a mistake lifting a bell and hurt him/herself horribly and the greatest mind can make a mistake in an otherwise masterful dissertation. Why is talent in the FO judged differently from talent on the field? They go hand and hand and both can make mistakes. Also, the fact that a guy I have watched for years do nothing BUT try and score zingers on posters on this message board trying to chide me for it is quite hilarious. Would you like to share some popcorn with me?




  9. #93

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I agree with that, but then that is sort of obvious. Our defense wasn't great, so of course we want to strengthen it. Canty and Spears were picks that fit that bill.

    I am just saying that there sometimes is a tendency to claim or believe that Ozzie is sitting back saying "muahahahaha, things are falling right into place just like I planned (on March 1st)," when in reality it is more that Ozzie is scrambling repeatedly as his most-recent plan gets foiled by unpredicted circumstances or changed by other people's decisions.

    Being able to adjust well on the fly to these circumstances is obviously a large part of being a great GM, and Ozzie is a great GM. I just think there are times when Ozzie gets praise for foreknowledge that never existed (could never possibly exist) and for the results of decisions that were not his to make (whether Boldin or Ellerbe , etc, accept their offers). Not knocking Ozzie at all, just semi-knocking some of the effusive praise.
    Don't disagree with that at all. Then again, I wasn't really - nor was Breer, IMO - arguing that everything was proceeding exactly like Ozzie planned.

    Yes, every team goes about trying to improve their team, but few have been able to do it as successfully as Ozzie has over the years.

    Perhaps, it's more about a philosophy, as opposed to a plan. They had a plan to improve the D, but stuck to their philosophy to strike when opportune, not panicking (when 1/2 of their fan base was) and not overreach or overpay.

    Or, at least, that's how I read that series of tweets from Breer.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  10. #94

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Don't disagree with that at all. Then again, I wasn't really - nor was Breer, IMO - arguing that everything was proceeding exactly like Ozzie planned.

    Yes, every team goes about trying to improve their team, but few have been able to do it as successfully as Ozzie has over the years.

    Perhaps, it's more about a philosophy, as opposed to a plan. They had a plan to improve the D, but stuck to their philosophy to strike when opportune, not panicking (when 1/2 of their fan base was) and not overreach or overpay.

    Or, at least, that's how I read that series of tweets from Breer.
    I guess my post was partially addressing common posts around here. But also I think the word "overhaul" is not the same as the word "upgrade." So the first tweet I think is the one I am addressing. Ray Lewis retiring, Kruger leaving, and Ellerbe leaving I think were not any kind of plan. They were either givens or decisions by others (Ellerbe/Miami). Could maybe argue the same for Reed, but not as easily. So if Ellerbe and Reed stays, we don't sign Dumervil (because of Ellerbe and Reed's contracts), have we overhauled? Because that was one feasible result of our moves from the beginning.

    Anyway, obviously I was reading more into it than most.

    Also, btw, do you think it is a given, based on our moves, that Ngata is moving to NT? I do, but reading some other posts/threads around here, it looks like others don't necessarily agree. I am wondering if you heard anything specific regarding the situation or are just assuming/guessing (like I am)?




  11. #95

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    Some interesting things I gleaned about Dumervil and the Ravens' offseason plan in BAL today. First: Defensive overhaul is by design.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    The Ravens won the SB, but were 20th in total D. They felt they needed to upgrade. They feel like they've set themselves up to do it.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    Dumervil's $26M in base pay is 65% of what Kruger got. Ravens got Dumervil, Canty, Spears for price of Kruger. And they have 12 draft picks.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    As it sets up now, Ravens stand to be better on the LOS, at CB. They need help at S, ILB. Ex-Raider Michael Huff visits this week.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    ... And then, you have the 12 draft picks and a class that's strong up the middle on D.

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    No. But decision to let the market settle was absolutely strategic. RT @dvlos56 @AlbertBreer they designed #WTFax???

    Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    One other thing, also sounds like we'll see Suggs, Dumervil and Upshaw together some. Maybe Suggs and Dumervil on edges, Upshaw as a Joker.
    The tweet #2 absolutely blows my mind and the tweet about letting the market settle is spot on. We've seen this before.




  12. #96

    Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The only move that was purely by design, imo, was letting Pollard go. Kruger was always going to be too expensive whether we were going to try to keep everyone (not overhaul) or not. Ellerbe, on the other hand, we attempted to keep. So if Ellerbe settles for $4.5-$5M per year or whatever our offer was, then what? We still are "overhauling the defense by design" but doing it with Ellerbe, not Dumervil, and maybe Harrison or whoever is the next cheapest of the older FA pass rushers. Same with Reed to some extent, we made an offer, though I will admit that our offer to Reed was likely for appearance sake and had little chance of success, so maybe I count him in with Pollard as "by design."

    Same goes with Boldin's paycut offer. He accepts it and everything changes. And we did offer it (by some 'other' design).
    What about Canty and Spears? I would say they were brought in by design. I would argue that letting Kruger and Cary walk was by design as well. There's was never any effort to re-sign those guys. They kind of already had an idea of what they wanted to do when those two left.
    There's an obvious push to retool, upgrade, overhaul the defense. Call it what you want but they had every intention to change the personnel.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland