Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Yes it is. And if one of those people were you, I'm sure you'd be complaining that you are entitled to your opinion.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Can't have it both ways.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I'm sure this came up in another thread somewhere along the line, but this shows the genius of Newsome.

Paul Kruger: age 27, 15.5 career sacks, 5 years-$40.4 million with Cleveland, $8.1 2013 cap figure

Elvis Dumervil: age 29, 63.5 career sacks, 5 years-$35 million with Baltimore, $2.5 2013 cap figure
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we get a 4th round comp pick(most likely) for paul krugah

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we get a 4th round comp pick(most likely) for paul krugah
    Cherry on top.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Nope.

Passionate.
    I'm as passionate as any knee jerk sky faller, hell I openly wept when Ray came out of the tunnel that last time, and I did it again when the confetti fell.

Passion is not a reason to forget history and lose sight of reality however. History said when we lost those players, it was because keeping them would have been a net loss for the Ravens either because of their deficiencies as players or their value to production ratio not being worth it. And despite hating to see some of them go, I and many others, knew that Ozzie has forgotten more than our collective knowledge will ever learn so I swallowed that bitter feeling and waited.

When a player makes a bonehead decision to hit a guy after the whistle, no one on this board excuses it by calling it passion, we call it immaturity. I do the same thing for fans who make the boneheaded decision of calling an offseason a disaster before free agency has even finished and the draft is still weeks away.

Obviously, your tolerance is greater than mine.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

On the whole, I'd say the Ravens have now done a better job addressing their needs this offseason than any other team in the league. They're going from having a front seven that was, let's be honest, pretty darn rough at times, to having a unit that's shaping up to be absolutely monstrous. Building around Suggs and Dumervil outside, Ngata in the middle, you've got Upshaw, McClain, Bynes, Canty, McPhee, Jones, Spears, and hell maybe even Cody to rotate through (in addition to whomever they may draft at MLB, which I fully expect them to do still). Not only is that tremendous depth, but imagine being an offensive coordinator/line coach trying to figure out how to pass block against a team with Suggs, Doom, Ngata, Jones, and McPhee on the field all at the same time, to say nothing of guys potentially blitzing up the middle and from the secondary.

It's really gonna suck not having Reed, but the overall defense is shaping up to be an elite one once again.

We all have seen and heard over the years how diligent the ravens are in their draft strategy. I think it's reasonable to assume that free agency is approached the same way. In other words well before it begins I can picture the FO having a big board and ranking all free agents, potential cuts and releases. Info on cap hits is readily available between the 32 teams. Somewhere on that board prior to the infamous 'faxgate" Elvis Dumerville was on that list.
    So I agree with those who say Ozzie was prepared to seize opportunities.

Blog Entries

It was widely reported that Denver was going to make Dumervil take a paycut or he was going to get cut. Usually when teams try to make players take a paycut, the player ends up refusing leading to their release. This situation was unique in the fact Dumervil accepted the reduction in pay, but it was botched due to the faxgate scandal. The Ravens were clearly watching this situation close because Ozzie called Dumervil's old agent as soon as the release became official.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I'm as passionate as any knee jerk sky faller, hell I openly wept when Ray came out of the tunnel that last time, and I did it again when the confetti fell.

Passion is not a reason to forget history and lose sight of reality however. History said when we lost those players, it was because keeping them would have been a net loss for the Ravens either because of their deficiencies as players or their value to production ratio not being worth it. And despite hating to see some of them go, I and many others, knew that Ozzie has forgotten more than our collective knowledge will ever learn so I swallowed that bitter feeling and waited.

When a player makes a bonehead decision to hit a guy after the whistle, no one on this board excuses it by calling it passion, we call it immaturity. I do the same thing for fans who make the boneheaded decision of calling an offseason a disaster before free agency has even finished and the draft is still weeks away.

Obviously, your tolerance is greater than mine.
    +1. I'm passionate too, but I don't go calling Ed Reed names after 11 legendary seasons in purple because he signed with another team. I don't go rushing to judge our offseason after 7-8 days.

To chalk panicking and overreaction up as "passion" is far too lenient in my humble opinion. Unfiltered "passion" can be a harmful vice.

+1. I'm passionate too, but I don't go calling Ed Reed names after 11 legendary seasons in purple because he signed with another team. I don't go rushing to judge our offseason after 7-8 days.

To chalk panicking and overreaction up as "passion" is far too lenient in my humble opinion. Unfiltered "passion" can be a harmful vice.
    I agree. There's definately a fine line between passionate and immaturity. I've seen some of the hate for Ed Reed on facebook. Then I heard that death threats were hurled at Dumerville via twitter.

Blog Entries

I'm sure this came up in another thread somewhere along the line, but this shows the genius of Newsome.

Paul Kruger: age 27, 15.5 career sacks, 5 years-$40.4 million with Cleveland, $8.1 2013 cap figure

Elvis Dumervil: age 29, 63.5 career sacks, 5 years-$35 million with Baltimore, $2.5 2013 cap figure
    ...or the stupidness of the Cleveland Browns.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    ...or the stupidness of the Cleveland Browns.
    From the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Yes it is. And if one of those people were you, I'm sure you'd be complaining that you are entitled to your opinion.
    So it's wrong for me to have the opinion that people who think it's been a disastrous offseason and the sky is falling are silly, but it's okay for you to say my opinion about those people is wrong?

Umm, okay.