Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

I personally think the offense is finally set, I think we have all the pieces in place, minus a solid Z possession receiver (which we lost in Boldin obviously), I think the Ravens will come out of the draft with somebody to compete with Doss, and Jacoby. Torrey will assume the X receiver role, and will likely be Flacco's number 1 target this year. I actually expect to see mostly two TE sets like we did back in 2011 because of the loss of Boldin. We also have the ability to run the ball and run the clock with Rice Leach, and Pierce. We have a pretty damn good run blocking Oline with KO and Yanda in the middle, if we can get McKinnie re-signed, we'll probably have one of the better Olines in the game, if not a top 5 unit as it was in the play offs.

Boldin was traded to get the cap space to sign Canty, and Doom. Boldin was money in the play offs, no question, but signing Canty, Spears, and Doom holds greater overall value than keeping Boldin IMO. The offense can survive without Boldin, and there were games when Flacco played really well without Boldin being a major factor, I really think the FO are extremely confident with Torrey Smith too.

The defense needed upgrading. The national media can flap their gums all day about what we've lost, but facts are, we were the 17th ranked defense last year, and we needed new and better players bought in. We got an upgrade over Paul Kruger with a 4th round comp pick thrown in, and we got a major upgrade on the biggest weakness of our team last year, the defensive line. I would not be surprised at all if we came back with a top 10 defense this year. It wont be as emotional or have as much energy without Reed and Ray Lewis, but it will probably be a much more athletic and speedier defense, that will be able to get to the QB, and that's the probity in todays league.

I know that we've lost a lot, but we've also gained a lot this offseason, as well as keeping Joe. Now we could be signing Michael Huff, and McKinnie is still out there and has been talking with Harbaugh, if we can get both of them, we could be looking at one of the most complete teams we've had in a while. Ozzie also has 12 picks to work with, and will take the BPA at key positions.

In OZ we trust!

Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

This one moves seems to create so much flexibility, Suggs, Dummervil and Upshaw at outside backer not only means great pressure but Upshaw will be able to keep them both fresh by giving them snaps off versus the run. Pass rusher was a huge need now besides a later round developmental guy i dont think we have to take one in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

Great post. The Oz is building the defense through the defensive line which is where it counts. Especially in this passing league a consistent pass rush is most important. If you don't have a good pass rush the quarterback will pick apart any secondary, even an elite one. But, A consistent pass rush will make a secondary look really good. Plus, we won't see anymore d-lineman on roller skates with the depth we got and Ngata going to NT.

Can't wait!!!

Where do they say this game is still won? On the lines.

If we have an OL that protects Flacco, with a DL that destroys their QB, that is a recipe for success.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I was ridiculed quite a bit in my thread about "why is everyone so up in arms about us rebuilding the defense" but Ozzie is on the verge of doing something (including he Dumervil move) that will have NFL people talking for decades. And what I mean by that is a Super Bowl team has NEVER stripped so many defensive starters off a ring-winning team and then returned to greatness right away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I was ridiculed quite a bit in my thread about "why is everyone so up in arms about us rebuilding the defense" but Ozzie is on the verge of doing something (including he Dumervil move) that will have NFL people talking for decades. And what I mean by that is a Super Bowl team has NEVER stripped so many defensive starters off a ring-winning team and then returned to greatness right away.
    :word

Blog Entries

The Ravens, for the first time in ages, couldn't stop the run. Oz said that was unacceptable and that was the first problem he looked to fix with the signings of Chris Canty (Who will start at DE) and Marcus Spears (Who will provide depth off the bench).

Then, they went to the pass rush.

Oz ain't playin'.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Ozzie got the best FA pass rusher that was available this offseason, got a solid DE in Canty, and a solid run stopper in Spears.

Too much was made by the media about the "losses" the Ravens had, and the "exodus". Made good tabloid fodder. Problem is, they seem to forget who the man behind the curtain is.

Quietly, the Ravens have made some great moves in getting the defense younger and improving the front 7. I genuinely think they wanted to keep Ellerbe, but they will address this position in the draft most likely.

Now I'd like to see them get Michael Huff, and then use the draft to fill the other voids.

Blog Entries
    I literally heard someone on SiriusNFL today compare the Ravens rebuilding with the Raiders. This is not rebuilding, it's revamping the D after one of the worse statistical years ever. I love it

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I get a genuine laugh when people sum up the team at the start of free agency or before the draft. The word "disastrous" is especially amusing.

Now throw in Ozzie bashing on top of it and I can really get a giggle going.

Yes, it was luck. But the proof is in his methods. Because he runs a smart cap, we were in the position to pounce on such a lucky opportunity. THAT is what sets Ozzie apart. THAT is why he deserves praise.

That's a bit unfair to continue to put down those upset with Ozzie this offseason when you think about the fact that Dumerville being released really was a stroke of dumb luck. Otherwise we're sitting with a big hole in pass rush which Ozzie might have had to fill with the same type of aging end-of-his-career player that everyone says some of the guys we let go were (minus Kruger and Ellerbe who were young but not going to get what they got elsewhere).

Let's not pretend Ozzie was making all this cap room on the chance that Dumerville was going to get cut. And at the cap friendliness of this deal tells me we could have not cut anyone and still signed him, so that's not it either.

We are still very unknown at safety and ILB, and LT for that matter. So before we continue to mock those that have issue with Ozzie over the players that are gone, try to see their side of it. Our defense is still far from set, though the line now is.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    That's a bit unfair to continue to put down those upset with Ozzie this offseason . . .
    But it's not unfair to chuckle at those who are wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth in March because a few moves didn't go the way they wanted them to go. It's ridiculous to use the word disastrous to describe the off season to this point.

And it's not unfair to chuckle at those who think because the Ravens don't have a LT in March they are going to automatically put Oher back at LT and that will result in a lost season. Might it turn out that way? I don't know, but I do know that the roster is hardly set prior to the draft and that the team is going to look different in August than it does today.