Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

For me, the jury is still out on this off-season. Oz has had some good pickups up front on D, but he still has some work to do. As of right now we are weaker in the middle of the field beyond the DL. The loss of Ellerbie was big. The loss of Reed and Pollard adds to the void. It's still early and I'm gonna hold judgement on Oz's off season until at least after the draft. I understand that this rebuild was necessary and it may take a couple of years to get this D back to what we're used to. Our D has lost a few steps any way over the past year. I'm just not as optomistic as some about 2013.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Blog Entries

I don't think it was luck. It's well known that the Ravens front office monitors the roster situations of opposing teams. If there is one thing that should be a surprise, it is that Dumervil agreed to the pay cut. Elway wasn't even expecting that.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

success is what happens when opportunity meets preparation...Oz was prepared and pursued an opportunity when it appeared....that's what good GM's do and good teams do...seize the opportunity...

Blog Entries

Step 1 - You upgrade the D Line by adding Canty and Spears. This improves your run D immediately and helps out one of your most talented defensive players in Ngata.

Step 2- You bring in a OLB who can pressure the QB. Granted you get lucky as hell having Dumervil hit the market but its not like this was not part of the plan. It just worked out better than even Ozzie could have imagined.

Step 3- Use your draft picks and remaining cap room to address ILB/S/LT positions. Focus should be on guys who have good cover skills. This is primary reason that Pollard is not here now. I think to many people on here discount Omar Brown and Christian Thompson. These are two guys whose skill set meshes well with the D they are building. You also have to feel good about your CB situation. Especially now. Jimmy Smith and Webb I expect to continue to blossom. Both guys have no issue being aggressive and with the pass rush you expect to generate that fits well. Graham and C.Brown give you good depth and nickel options.

The makings of a faster, younger and more versatile D are here now. Moving forward I expect Ozzie to look for veteran depth at S and perhaps at ILB. I also look for him to address both positions in the draft as well. ILB, S, OT and WR are deep there is good talent available in rounds 1-4. Maybe not superstar level talent but solid guys.

Give Ozzie 12 picks to work with and I like the odds of him rounding out this roster very nicely.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by knots View Post
    success is what happens when opportunity meets preparation...Oz was prepared and pursued an opportunity when it appeared....that's what good GM's do and good teams do...seize the opportunity...

Never blow your cap-wad in week one.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by knots View Post
    Nah.. It was luck.

That's a bit unfair to continue to put down those upset with Ozzie this offseason when you think about the fact that Dumerville being released really was a stroke of dumb luck. Otherwise we're sitting with a big hole in pass rush which Ozzie might have had to fill with the same type of aging end-of-his-career player that everyone says some of the guys we let go were (minus Kruger and Ellerbe who were young but not going to get what they got elsewhere).

Let's not pretend Ozzie was making all this cap room on the chance that Dumerville was going to get cut. And at the cap friendliness of this deal tells me we could have not cut anyone and still signed him, so that's not it either.

We are still very unknown at safety and ILB, and LT for that matter. So before we continue to mock those that have issue with Ozzie over the players that are gone, try to see their side of it. Our defense is still far from set, though the line now is.

Someone one once told me 'you make your own fucking luck'.

Didn't read the post but the thread title is absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    For me, the jury is still out on this off-season. Oz has had some good pickups up front on D, but he still has some work to do. As of right now we are weaker in the middle of the field beyond the DL. The loss of Ellerbie was big. The loss of Reed and Pollard adds to the void. It's still early and I'm gonna hold judgement on Oz's off season until at least after the draft. I understand that this rebuild was necessary and it may take a couple of years to get this D back to what we're used to. Our D has lost a few steps any way over the past year. I'm just not as optomistic as some about 2013.
    This defense is never going to be what it was because you just don't draft HOF players all the time and the Ravens are not going to spend a significant amount of their cap on it like in years past. What the Ravens are building is a fast defense that can stalemate the opponents offense while its own jumps out to 14-17 point leads (hopefully). At that point you cut the pass rush loose and wreak havoc.

I think the Ravens need a NT and a safety even more than a middle backer because I think McClain will be back and serviceable and Albert McCleelan and Josh Bynes will be ok (still look for them to draft a future starter and add a veteran).

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Love it ... and stealing it!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Ozzie wasn't lucky, he was opportunistic.

Dummervil wasn't Plan A, no question, but he was looking at Harrison, and probably considering Osi or Freeney to help with the pass rush. Any of those signings would have been helpful, even if we had to hold our noses for Harrison. I think Ozzie has planned from day 1 to address ILB in the draft, and put together a lot of young players with those 12 picks(though I suspect we wind up drafting maybe 8 at most).

Dummervil then fell into our laps, and Ozzie was like "ooh piece of candy!". He jumped all over it knowing he could address our pass rush more long term with one of the best in the NFL rather than the stopgap solution of the others while grooming someone from this year or next year's draft.

If he makes the right moves, signing Huff, drafting ILB and safety, this team is going to be a lot better than people might think. The offense is going to continue on it's course and be very formidable. The defense is going to be vastly improved over last year's version.

What makes anyone think he won't make the right moves? I guarantee he addresses the holes, in the most prudent, and yes, opportunistic way possible.

And I guarantee the Ravens win the AFCN in 2013 if he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    They just gave a record contract to their QB, and not only did they trade away his #1 target, but now you think it's cool that they may see if Oher has gotten better at protecting his blindside? I will say that he can't get much worse at LT. Why do that when they can get McKinnie for a bargain, and we saw how good he could play after Harbaugh got over his stubbornness.
    Can you link up the quote from the front office where they talk about moving Oher back to left tackle?

Oh wait...you must be one of those people that thinks free agency only lasts for 10 days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Sometimes the slobbering over Ozzie on this forum gets to be a bit much. Dumervil is a great signing, but I'm sure Ozzie didn't plan on some kind of fax machine incident making him available. Ozzie was planning on signing 35 yo James Harrison. Canty is a decent signing. Spears sucks. We have no proven safeties at the moment. Maybe that will be fixed shortly.
    It's not slobbering over Ozzie to recognize he has a track record that deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I don't doubt they disliked parting ways with a lot of the players they did, but the nature of the NFL today- especially the salary cap- dictated otherwise. The job of the FO is to give the coaches the best collection of players they can, and this FO, with Ozzie at the head of the table, has done a very good job of that over the years. You don't go to the playoffs 5 straight years without the FO doing something right. You don't go to the playoffs as often as this franchise has since finally getting over the hump in 2000 without the FO doing something right.