Thread: WTF?

WTF?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...26id%3d3007016

Let me state up front that this column is not intended to pile on Michael Vick or malign Ray Lewis seven years after he was accused of murder.

But in advance of seeing Lewis lead the Baltimore Ravens into Cincinnati for the "Monday Night Football" opener, it is worth examining how the star linebacker has thrived in the NFL after his serious brush with the law.

And it also is worth wondering just how willing America's sports fans will be to forgive and forget Vick's crimes. Will he emerge from his legal nightmare the way Lewis did?
    The two shouldn't be compared, does anyone else think this is bogus or should I take off my purple tinted glasses and quit drinking the kool-aid?

Re: WTF?

Well first I think Baltimoreons and some of the media are the only ones that have really forgiven and forgotten about Lewis' situation. I constantly take sh*t from fans of other teams around the NFL about "the murderer on your team" and crap like that. An unfortunate fact of life thanks to an overzealous prosecutor.

Secondly, you're not overreacting. Vick was deeply involved in a dog fighting ring, torturing and killing animals. Lewis witnessed a murder and lied about what he saw. There's a reason Lewis got community service and Vick's going to federal-pound-you-in-the-ass prison.

Third, there's a pretty big presumption that America's sports fans will be CAPABLE of forgiving and forgetting Vick's crimes, since thanks to his illicit gambling it's quite possible if not probable he never plays professional sports again.

- C -

Ray was innocent on murder charges and Vick is guilty for dog fighting. Yeah, I think the 2 are quite different.

I think it's fair from a journalistic standpoint -- and that kills me to admit that as I sit here, typing this wearing my brand new Lewis authentic jersey! :)

The MSM will always look at Ray for something he is not. And there is always going to be those who consider Ray to be a killer even though the prosecuter came out publicly after the trial and said Ray didnt have anything to do with the killings.

I consider it a sense of responsibility as Ravens fans to write / call in and point out the facts (the prosecutor statements after the trial, the victims family singing praise for Ray now, him going to back to school and getting his degree, etc.). Some people will never change their minds and the media, like it or not, have a job to do and making this comparison seems inevitable. However, if enough fans speak loud and hard about Ray, maybe he will finally get his fair shake.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think it's fair from a journalistic standpoint -- and that kills me to admit that as I sit here, typing this wearing my brand new Lewis authentic jersey! :)

The MSM will always look at Ray for something he is not. And there is always going to be those who consider Ray to be a killer even though the prosecuter came out publicly after the trial and said Ray didnt have anything to do with the killings.

I consider it a sense of responsibility as Ravens fans to write / call in and point out the facts (the prosecutor statements after the trial, the victims family singing praise for Ray now, him going to back to school and getting his degree, etc.). Some people will never change their minds and the media, like it or not, have a job to do and making this comparison seems inevitable. However, if enough fans speak loud and hard about Ray, maybe he will finally get his fair shake.
    Do you have links for the things in bold? Cause I haven't seen anything like that.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Do you have links for the things in bold? Cause I haven't seen anything like that.

- C -
    I seem to remember seeing it in the Atlanta Journal Constitution way back when. I will do some homework and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    Oh wait .... yeah, just remembered .... go find the SI with Ray on the cover. I think the article was called God's Linebacker or something.

It was a hit job on Ray, but in it they interviewed one or both mothers of the two that were killed. They said they dont believe Ray did it anymore.

I will look for the prosecutor article.

First of all, Ray had the murder by association charges dropped, and according to testimony was trying to break up the malay. Vick sponsored the daily torture of innocent animals for his and other degenerants amusement. The law went after Ray with EVERYTHING they had, Vick still has not faced charges in Va. that may still come. Ray pled guilty to obstruction, Vick lied to the media, the commissioner, and the Feds.

Michelle Tafoya is just another idiot media type that is allowed to run her undeducated mouth about sensitive issues to spark an uproar. God Bless the media outlet that speaks out against those who perpetuate racial issues with incidents like this, and reports it devoid of color, and points out right and wrong regardless of social status. Because today we are miles from that type of reporting.

Huh? What? You serious? What a load of crap. Making this comparison simply perpetuates the mis-conceived notion that Ray was on trial for an actual crime. Most of the jerks who confront us Raven fans have never taken the time to read one single entire article, just the scant headlines that made it seem that he was actually on trial for murder. Maybe this "journalist" doesn't know the real story either!
    But to say this comparison was "inevitable" is just about as incorrect as one person could EVER be! Michael "Con" Vick, is on trial for maintaining an illegal gambling enterprise for 7-8 years, during which time there is evidence he participated in dog fighting, killing dogs for enjoyment, and interstate gambling. Ray Lewis was at a nightclub where he witnessed a murder! Yeah, I guess the comparison is inevitable.... GEEEEEsh!

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    Huh? What? You serious? What a load of crap. Making this comparison simply perpetuates the mis-conceived notion that Ray was on trial for an actual crime. Most of the jerks who confront us Raven fans have never taken the time to read one single entire article, just the scant headlines that made it seem that he was actually on trial for murder. Maybe this "journalist" doesn't know the real story either!
    But to say this comparison was "inevitable" is just about as incorrect as one person could EVER be! Michael "Con" Vick, is on trial for maintaining an illegal gambling enterprise for 7-8 years, during which time there is evidence he participated in dog fighting, killing dogs for enjoyment, and interstate gambling. Ray Lewis was at a nightclub where he witnessed a murder! Yeah, I guess the comparison is inevitable.... GEEEEEsh!
    I dont know you're giving me a hard time because you basically said the same thing I did!

Im not saying its a good thing the media will make these comparisons -- just that it's fair given the context of athletes and crime. Ray did plea guilty so the comparison is fair as long as the facts are accurate. The MSM are like a bunch of sheep that go after stories with as much intergirty as ... well ... Michael Vick. Because the media doesnt know anything more than rumor and inuendo, yes the conparison to Ray was inevitable. They dont know the facts so like the sheep they are, they perpetuate the falshoods surrounding Ray and fail to report him objectively. THAT's why it was inevitable they would make this conmparison.

I dont know you're giving me a hard time because you basically said the same thing I did!

Im not saying its a good thing the media will make these comparisons -- just that it's fair given the context of athletes and crime. Ray did plea guilty so the comparison is fair as long as the facts are accurate. The MSM are like a bunch of sheep that go after stories with as much intergirty as ... well ... Michael Vick. Because the media doesnt know anything more than rumor and inuendo, yes the conparison to Ray was inevitable. They dont know the facts so like the sheep they are, they perpetuate the falshoods surrounding Ray and fail to report him objectively. THAT's why it was inevitable they would make this conmparison.
    I did sound like I was arguing with you, didn't I? Sorry, I just think too many , besides our fans, know very little about the incident,and the comparison is just not there!:hammer: