So we didn't have that great of a run defense last year...

I think we're all aware of our woes stopping opposing running backs but recently Football Outsiders examined what they call a run stop rate per player. Basically, were an undesirable amount of yards given up on running plays you were involved in.

Unfortunately, the Ravens had 2 of the bottom 5 linebackers, 2 of the bottom 5 defensive lineman, and Ed Reed was 8th worst for defensive backs. While it's true that Ray and Ed weren't effective stopping the run given their age I almost see a snowball effect: our defensive line was far from stout which meant they were either getting pushed back or just ran over and linebackers or even secondary had to mop up and they got stuck with this negative stat. This doesn't even show Cody who didn't make enough tackles to qualify. I'm continuing to watch how we address DL and the ILB positions but I'd like to think we've hit bottom for a Ravens run defense and will almost certainly improve next year.

As a side note, check out how freakish JJ Watt is. Not only did he knock down a bunch of passes and chase the sack record, but if you add up all the running plays he was involved in (58 of them) it actually results in a negative yardage total.

Re: So we didn't have that great of a run defense last year...

Ngata and Jones are very well ranked on ProFootballFocus. I wonder what impact having our NT get handled by a single blocker had on this statistic.

Blog Entries

This is why I'm glad we're retooling the defense and that Ozzie is starting with the D-line.

Blog Entries
    A better dline will help keep the backers clean and let them scrape down the line to make the tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shambla View Post
    I think we're all aware of our woes stopping opposing running backs but recently Football Outsiders examined what they call a run stop rate per player. Basically, were an undesirable amount of yards given up on running plays you were involved in.

Unfortunately, the Ravens had 2 of the bottom 5 linebackers, 2 of the bottom 5 defensive lineman, and Ed Reed was 8th worst for defensive backs. While it's true that Ray and Ed weren't effective stopping the run given their age I almost see a snowball effect: our defensive line was far from stout which meant they were either getting pushed back or just ran over and linebackers or even secondary had to mop up and they got stuck with this negative stat. This doesn't even show Cody who didn't make enough tackles to qualify. I'm continuing to watch how we address DL and the ILB positions but I'd like to think we've hit bottom for a Ravens run defense and will almost certainly improve next year.

As a side note, check out how freakish JJ Watt is. Not only did he knock down a bunch of passes and chase the sack record, but if you add up all the running plays he was involved in (58 of them) it actually results in a negative yardage total.
    haven't checked the stats, but Canty and Spears are both good, historically speaking, in this regard.

And JJ Watt was the best player int he NFL at anyposition last season. Perhaps oneof ht efinest seasons in football history.

Running backs have just been made obsolete by the rule that prohibits them from lowering their heads so I wouldn't worry about run defense.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

our other defensive issue was lack of pressure on the qb. canty and spears are a huge upgrade from kemo and cody. dumerville or a like talent will take the double teaming off of suggs. canty and spears should take the double team off of nghata.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    our other defensive issue was lack of pressure on the qb. canty and spears are a huge upgrade from kemo and cody. dumerville or a like talent will take the double teaming off of suggs. canty and spears should take the double team off of nghata.
    I don't think it matters where Ngata lines up he'll always be double teamed unless the opponent is confident their guy can handle him 1 on 1. Adding Doom would be a huge move, then we'd have multiple guys who can win those 1 on 1 matchups.

The steelers diid and look what happen to them. Too many other deciding factors now play into NFL football, Stats do not mean much,only wins do. Best red zone defense is important to winning and the Ravens did well in that area. Bend but not break will take you to post season and the SB. Ravens defense still has the players it needs to bend but not break. Think about it, the players that left were really not having a great full season. They played well enough to make a difference for winning, but gave up plays they should have stopped. How many times did the defense give up a score, then the offense came in for the win?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Running backs have just been made obsolete by the rule that prohibits them from lowering their heads so I wouldn't worry about run defense.
    check the details of that rule, it doesn't prohibit them from lowering their head and busting through the line of scrimmage. Most good backs like Rice don't use the crown of their helmet in open field anyway, he's a stiffarm guy

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!