Oh No... The Cicadas are coming!!

Coming to a yard near you sooner rather then later.

The 17 Year Cicada

Prepare yourselves to be over taken by millions of these creatures.:grbac:

Should be a Real good time.

Not all is lost though.

In these tough economic times where some people are struggling to put food on the table...

Bon apetite'
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I distinctly remember the 2004 cicadas. It hasn't been 17 years since then.. Looking at the chart I see that this year's is called Brood II? And the ones from 2004 were Brood X? Interesting. I didn't realize there were multiple broods so they can actually happen more than once every 17 years... I have absolutely no remembrance of the 1996 outbreak of this Brood II though...

Re: Oh No... The Cicadas are coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    I distinctly remember the 2004 cicadas. It hasn't been 17 years since then.. Looking at the chart I see that this year's is called Brood II? And the ones from 2004 were Brood X? Interesting. I didn't realize there were multiple broods so they can actually happen more than once every 17 years... I have absolutely no remembrance of the 1996 outbreak of this Brood II though...
    Yeah, I'm with you on this.
    I knew there were multiple species of these things but didn't realize that the emergence stuff was more often then 17 years.

Like you, don't remember the 1996 emergence, but definitely remember the 2004.

I live in Northern carroll county so the quanitys up here were minimal at best.

Working outside like I do all around Baltimore I can attest that the numbers in 2004 were incredible.

Old well established areas with lots of older trees such as Pikesville, Pimlico, Park Heights, Liberty Heights, etc. were like something out of a horror movie.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I think it's common for cicadas to have multiple "broods" if that's what you call them, but they tend to have prime number increments like 11 years and 17 years. Two broods of 11 and 17 year cicadas would only have to compete with each other every 11*17=187 years, since both numbers are prime.

I've lived in Baltimore City or County for over 40 years and have only experienced the Brood X invasion twice and Brood II never. The map appears to show Brood II mostly on the Western Shore, Montgomery, PG, Howard, AA counties. I'm hoping that the area I'm in (north Balto County) emerges unscathed. Those critters really freaked me out in 2004 - they were so loud!