Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: HOFers on the 2012 Ravens team

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    An interesting thing about Pierce. Greg Cosell thinks he's the best player on the Ravens. Period. Just an opinion of course though his opinion is well informed and respected.

I wonder if Rice could shift gradually to also playing the slot some of the time. Just speculation of course.
    I definitely think Rice should be used in the slot and out wide as a receiver quite a bit. Put both Pierce and Rice on the field at the same time, Pierce stays in the backfield and Rice motions out into the slot or wide. If the defense comes out and covers Rice with a LB he's going to win that matchup every time. If they cover him with a CB or S you run the ball up the middle with Pierce or go play action and throw it deep.

Pierce is a tremendous talent. It was obvious watching his college tape that he was a man among boys, and in the NFL so far he's basically a more explosive but less consistent Arian Foster. Guys with his size that can cut and explode laterally like he can is VERY rare. I also read recently that he's up around 230lbs right now, he's put on 10lbs of muscle since the season ended, which is insane. He's DEFINITELY the short yardage and "grinder" back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Rice's "pace" doesn't matter. You really can't assess HOF candidacy for a RB until they actually retire, because you never know when they're going to just disappear. And they need to last a pretty long time to accumulate enough numbers to be in the discussion. Now, Rice has been durable and his style lends itself to not taking big hits, so he has better odds than most, but he still has to manage to stay useful into his mid-30s to have a real shot.
    Exactly.

The past 10-15 years have been brutal to the legacy of RB's. As I pointed out, Shawn Alexander was on pace to be the best RB this league ever had. Then *poof* he was gone. This league is cruel to RB's and you simply never know when an RB is going to run out of gas.

So given the OP's category's, I'd have to say he certainly has potential. But probable is a bit of a stretch. Right now.

Blog Entries

I know this speculative but I use the criteria that if a player defined his position (Lawrence Taylor comes to mind) or was recognized during his era as one of the best at his position, then he's HOF worthy. By those standards I don't see Flacco as a HOFer.

iggyman555 Guest

john harbaugh, ozzie newsome (GM)

In terms of Flacco and Rice, think about it this way: when was the last time that a non-RB or QB won the Heisman or NFL MVP? Standards are lower for those positions when it comes to accolades. The Pro Bowl might be an exception, because the entries are standard. But with something like the HOF, sure defensive players and O-Lineman get in, but a disproportionate number of RBs and QBs will get in. Who knows why people have always drooled over them, maybe because they're the ones scoring the points and getting the touches. Look at other positions. There has only been one kicker to make it, and there has never been a punter to make it. You always see QB's get in where you scratch your head.

But for those two positions, you definately don't have to be the best of your generation. There have only been something like 30-35 Super Bowl winning QB's in history, I don't know the exact number, I'm just figuring that there are 47 Super Bowls and some have won it multiple teams. And figure that the Ravens didn't win despite him, they won because of him. There are plenty more than 35 QB's in the HOF right now. Sure, Flacco couldn't get injured and never play again or throw 2,500 yards a season from now on and expect to get in, but I think that he's a pretty good pace to get in.

Blog Entries

If Eli Manning and Roethlisberger are considered as future HOFers, then Flacco should too IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Rice in particular, when paired with other HoF RB's, is not close at all. That's not a knock on him. The position has evolved.
    Incorrect. Look at his stats over his first five NFL seasons and compare them to every other back in NFL history. I have the spreadsheet at home and am working from memory, but I think only like 4 or 5 backs in NFL history have more yards from scrimmage than Rice has over his first five years.

Also, Rice's rookie year was an age 21 season. Most rookie backs are 22 or 23 their rookie year. I believe that Rice has more yards from scrimmage through age 25 than any back in NFL history other than Edge James and Portis. Have to double check that too.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Eli Manning and Roethlisberger are considered as future HOFers, then Flacco should too IMO.
    Are they? I think of Roethlisberger continues to have injury shortened seasons he will be borderline at best. It depends on where his numbers end up. Eli has the whole New York thing going for him so it's hard to tell. Plus he beat the Patriots in their bid to be undefeated. Great moments can help a resume, though if you ask me, The F Bomb is every bit as miraculous as the Head catch.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong. Rice is on pace for Marshall Faulk type numbers.
    Minus the touchdowns, but yes. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Are they? I think of Roethlisberger continues to have injury shortened seasons he will be borderline at best. It depends on where his numbers end up. Eli has the whole New York thing going for him so it's hard to tell. Plus he beat the Patriots in their bid to be undefeated. Great moments can help a resume, though if you ask me, The F Bomb is every bit as miraculous as the Head catch.
    I think both are more likely to be in than be out, but I wouldn't consider either a lock at this point. Manning has a better chance IMO, mainly because he hasn't had the injury problems that Ben.

There have been other QBs to get into Canton (Aikman, Bradshaw) with far worse statistical qualifications who gained entrance because of 3+ super bowl wins. Eli and Ben both only have two, but are both far more statistically qualified, so I think you have to consider both above a 60% likelihood of induction.

You'd also have to imagine the whole "best offensive player" on a Super Bowl champion team probably wouldn't hurt Rice's case and marketability either. Players like Tomlinson are always considered to have his best years wasted because the Chargers were either bad or dissapointed in the play-offs. Rice was always on a great team, and already has a ring.

Blog Entries

After last season, I am wondering if Rice is already in decline. He is still one of the best in space but it seems like he is having a harder time getting to that second level. He was pretty pedestrian between the tackles last year and didn't bust many long runs. And he continued his trend of choking in the playoffs. Just sayin....

I'd like to see them use Pierce more as the feature back and use Rice as more of a threat in the passing game.