Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Talking SI has McNair pegged

Just like many of us who have been watching pro football QBs for over 40 years, Sports Illustrated provides a non-homer assessment. Read Sports Illustrated comments on McNair:

A great group of receivers hidden by a quarterback losing his arm strength and pocket dexterity. While neither Derrick Mason nor Mark Clayton had spectacular statistics last season, the offensive scheme they played in, and Steve McNair's quickness to check down caused some deflation in their numbers as opposed to their actual talent level.
    .... when a pro QB starts to lose talent after getting beaten up, often injured, aged, and loses his arm strength... it's time to hang 'em up!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: SI has McNair pegged

Who knew that post was coming next???

I actually took him off ignore as the fact that anyone can be so concerned with another person of the same sex is as intersing as a train wreck... So the question is, is Tex Chris Redman's Gay lover or did Kyle turn him down years ago??

Wow, someone is basically cheering that our starting QB is getting worse. It's as if he wants McNair to fail.

I checked the same website for their un-biased view on Boller and here's what I got The NFLs Top 25 QB Busts. Looks like they have Boller pegged as well.
    I mean I know some of you can't stand the idea of McNair looking competant where Boller looked lost, but give the man some respect for getting this team to the best record in team history.
    Last edited by evade6317; 07-20-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Wink Re: SI has McNair pegged

Quote Originally Posted by evade6317 View Post
    give the man some respect for getting this team to the best record in team history.
    Adalius Thomas and the other 10 members of the NFL's#1 Defense had a lot more to do with the Ravens 13-3 record than the 83.2 rated average QB, who slid to a 49.9 postseason rating that cost the team its season.

Yes, I will be happy when this weak-armed, aged average QB who can't perform in the big games actually retires, to open up some cap space so we can try again to obtain or develop a good young QB in here.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Adalius Thomas and the other 10 members of the NFL's#1 Defense had a lot more to do with the Ravens 13-3 record than the 83.2 rated average QB, who slid to a 49.9 postseason rating that cost the team its season.

Yes, I will be happy when this weak-armed, aged average QB who can't perform in the big games actually retires, to open up some cap space so we can try again to obtain or develop a good young QB in here.
    Just be honest. You want Boller to start over McNair and you will exploit any bad press that can help your fantasy come to reality.

McNair is the best option on the team and he wouldn't be here if your favorite player hadn't warranted the McNair trade, and the attempt to trade up to draft Brady Quinn.

McNair isn't the long tern answer, no one will argue that, but neither is Boller and his career 71 rating. However, McNair is the best option right now and only a serious Boller hugger would deny that.

Talking Re: SI has McNair pegged

Just be honest. You want Boller to start over McNair and you will exploit any bad press that can help your fantasy come to reality.
    Not really. I would just like to see better use of the finite cap budget. The Ravens committed $33 million for an average, declining QB. For a little bit more per year, we could have gone after a significant upgrade i.e. Drew Brees. Or saved the $$$, started Boller (who has developed into an average QB himself), and spent the money on Adalius Thomas, Suggs, etc.

McNair is the best option on the team and he wouldn't be here if your favorite player hadn't warranted the McNair trade, and the attempt to trade up to draft Brady Quinn.
    Since that was total nonsense, you don't get a response. FYI: Brady Quinn was a junior in college when the FO made the mistake of trading for McNair.

As to my "favorite player", I root for the team, not individuals -- it's a team sport. But, if I did, he would be on the Defense.

McNair isn't the long tern answer, no one will argue that, but neither is Boller and his career 71 rating. However, McNair is the best option right now and only a serious Boller hugger would deny that.
    McNair is the best option only as long as we are still stuck with him on the payroll, he's been given plenty of rest (preferable play him once every 3 weeks to rest his weak arm) and kept out of night games and playoff games.

Funny how some of the serious Boller haters focus on Boller's total career stats, including a couple wasted seasons when he was prematurely thrown into action, instead of objectively considering his upward trend. In four of his last five games, he played as well as anyone in the league except perhaps Manning, Brady, McNabb. And, while looking at ratings, where did the rapidly declining Steve McNair rank? 14th - just above such NFL "superstars" as David Carr and David Garrard. And that doesn't even count McNair's horrific 49.9 playoff rating.

As the your "hugger" comment - what's funny is that I was strongly opposed to playing Boller in 2003/2004, prefering that the Ravens acquire a vet instead. Or an up & coming backup. esp. Delhomme. And, if the Ravens were to be so smart or lucky to acquire or develop a truly good QB, I could care less about playing Boller.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

There is nothing better than a beautiful woman except possibly a beautiful TD pass by the Ravens.
    Dude, YOU have YOUR priorities mixed up, or you indeed are gay.

Too bad Boller isn't more consistent at throwing TD passes than he is at getting beautiful women. He seems to have it backwards as far as his professional football career goes. As much as I disliked Joe Namath at least he was a player on the field as well as off! Same can't be said of Bollerboy.
    More proof you are more talk than knowledge. Namath was the most over-rated hack to ever toss a pigskin. He won one game and made a name for himself.

His lifetime QB rating, 65.5.
    Year | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT
    TOTAL | 140 | 1886 3762 50.1 27663 7.4 173 220

To be fair to McNair, this upcoming season is going to be his first with the Ravens in which he will have an entire off-season to practice with the offense and to understand the scheme better.

You don't need to have a strong arm to win games. Both Pennington and Garcia have won playoff games with "popcorn" arms. In my opinion, arm strength is not nearly as important as accuracy. Just like marksmanship, it doesn't matter how fast the bullet is traveling if it misses the target. McNair has decent accuracy. And when compared to his back up, he has great accuracy.

You wish to discount Boller's entire horrid body of work ...
    Woah there, Namath fan, you aren't going anywhere until you acknowledge that Namath's 65.5 career rating is less than Boller's and less than every single Boller season.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Woah there, Namath fan, you aren't going anywhere until you acknowledge that Namath's 65.5 career rating is less than Boller's and less than every single Boller season.
    Um, Greg, Tex is not bound by traditional modes of debate such as reading other people's points of view. Or acknowledging others when they make valid points.

But I think your post was great, so can I acknowledge it for him?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

And despite all of that Boller statistically is a better QB.

Your whole post was one gigantic attempted punt, and you shanked that baby for net 3 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by dbcw View Post
    To be fair to McNair, this upcoming season is going to be his first with the Ravens in which he will have an entire off-season to practice with the offense and to understand the scheme better.

You don't need to have a strong arm to win games. Both Pennington and Garcia have won playoff games with "popcorn" arms. In my opinion, arm strength is not nearly as important as accuracy. Just like marksmanship, it doesn't matter how fast the bullet is traveling if it misses the target. McNair has decent accuracy. And when compared to his back up, he has great accuracy.
    Damn skippy!!! Anyone attempting to discredit McNair in favor of Boller is clearly biased. There is no way Boller wins against the Colts and there is no way the team goes 13-3 with Boller as the starter. It doesn't happen.

If McNair starts to look like Boller this upcoming season, as in completely lost, then I can see an argument in favor of Boller or even Smith. But chances of that happening are slim to none.

Boller has improved, but he was at home, and he's still not better than McNair.