Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Coming Year extension for Michael Oher

By all accounts, it appears that the Ravens will try to retain Michael Oher next year and may even engage him in contract talks prior to his contract expiring after next season.

I am wondering what people think about an extension for him-- I have mixed feelings myself. The word on Oher is that he has a really good work ethic and tries hard to get better each year. But his play on the field is erratic and I don't think he's shown the kind of improvement and upside we thought he would have after his rookie season.

You know his agent is going to begin contract talks by emphasizing the fact that he can play left or right tackle. To me, while it's true that he CAN play left tackle, if you were to rank Oher as a starting left tackle in the NFL, I would have to put him in the bottom 5 or 6. His jump step is really slow and I think he tries to get off the snap really quickly to offset his slow jump step. This has led to a lot of false start penalties. It also leads to him being off-balance from time to time. He also doesn't have a good punch on pass-blocking, which has been pointed out here before.

As a right tackle, I think he is league average, nothing more. So the fact that he's a good Raven and good citizen may be a good reason to re-sign him, but I don't want to see us reach to overpay. As you know, the contract for a league average right tackle should be a lot less than for any left tackle, let alone a left tackle who is well below the league average.

All this said, I'd like to retain him, but I can easily see a scenario where his asking price is a little bit rich for us. Even though it shouldn't matter, he was a first round pick and he has a name reputation in the league that is fairly prominent due to his background.

Re: Coming Year extension for Michael Oher

I think that he is great as a RT but you are right where the agent will try to get money between a LT and a RT stating that he can play both sides.

The Ravens have not and will not do themselves any favors if they try to put him back on the left side.

Blog Entries

I don't see the Ravens or Oher looking for an extension until after this season. Oher is probably still hoping he gets another shot at LT and won't want to sign for RT money. The Ravens never negotiate with a player early if they have any questions about him. I agree that it would be a good move to try and lock him up this year but I can't see it happening.

As long as he is not the planned starter at LT, I'd be all for it.

He is versatile and is a solid/good RT IMHO.

And you could do worse than him as a backup at LT if your regular LT gets hurt.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'd like to keep Oher @ RT (IMO his best position), but not offer him LT money. Right now, Jah Reid and KO (who played very well @ LG) are the alternatives. I would offer Oher a decent extended contract and see where his thoughts are ... before having to scramble to make an offer when he can become an UFA. Probably would be cheaper now... Bc

Blog Entries

Part of the reason why Michael Oher has not shown the sort of improvement we would expect out of a first round pick is, because he has not been allowed to focus on one position. He has, literally, been moved back and forth from year to year. That action is not conducive to the progression we would expect out of our first round pick. I don't think that is his fault.

He looked very good at RT, during his rookie season. However, the movement has seemed to bother him. There was some feeling, when he came out of the draft, that he would struggle to pick up concepts. Moving him from position to position would not help with that problem, if it was a legitimate problem.

If Michael Oher prices out of the Ravens' range, I would think the Ravens are more to blame for putting him at LT, a position that garners higher salaries than RT. His agent may push him more for LT money, while Ozzie's offer will strictly be built for the position Ozzie expects him to play in the future, which will be RT. It is reminiscent of the Jason Brown situation. Brown had previously played G, before moving to C. Gs make more money and that is what Brown looked for when he became a FA.

There is a chance to make this process less difficult and that is to put a clear emphasis on keeping Oher at RT. There is not much time left though.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

He'll get starting LT money somewhere - too many teams need one - and I just don't see us offering him that kind of money unless his play markedly improves to the point where the front office think it's worth it.

I'm sure they're exploring ideas on how to get a reasonably high 2014 first rounder off someone to put them in position to grab a starting LT in next year's draft. Not saying it's likely, but with the comp picks we'll have plenty of ammo in the holster to try and do something.
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Part of the reason why Michael Oher has not shown the sort of improvement we would expect out of a first round pick is, because he has not been allowed to focus on one position. He has, literally, been moved back and forth from year to year. That action is not conducive to the progression we would expect out of our first round pick. I don't think that is his fault.
    I hear this a lot and I get it, but when you look very closely at the weaknesses in Oher's game, they aren't explained by this. It's hard to adjust to playing on different sides of the line but the mental aspect of figuring out who to block and how to position yourself doesn't change. Your use of hands, kick-step, mirroring, all of the basic aspects of playing the offensive tackle position don't change from side to side. These are all things Michael does poorly, he hasn't improved any of them from year 1 (in fact he's regressed in some elements), and it's hard to project him to improve in the future.

I really don't think Oher's play is different from right to left and I think you guys are overrating his individual performance on the right side. He's the same guy, but he looks better on the right side because he has help from the TE and the best RG in football and he's blocking less explosive pass rushers. I don't know what to think of Oher. Right now he's an average to slightly above-average RT and a replacement-level LT who looks great some days and miserable other days, hence overall grading out right around average.

I wouldn't extend him now. I'm usually all for locking up promising players a year early, but if I were Ozzie I would need to see Oher demonstrate more consistency for a year before I made a long-term commitment, and in this case I think caution justifies the risk of having to pay more if he plays well this year.

Not a huge fan. Wouldn't mind seeing him replaced by someone in the draft at RT. That makes the most sense; more than trying to find a LT in this draft, which has more NFL RTs than LTs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I hear this a lot and I get it, but when you look very closely at the weaknesses in Oher's game, they aren't explained by this. It's hard to adjust to playing on different sides of the line but the mental aspect of figuring out who to block and how to position yourself doesn't change. Your use of hands, kick-step, mirroring, all of the basic aspects of playing the offensive tackle position don't change from side to side. These are all things Michael does poorly, he hasn't improved any of them from year 1 (in fact he's regressed in some elements), and it's hard to project him to improve in the future.

I really don't think Oher's play is different from right to left and I think you guys are overrating his individual performance on the right side. He's the same guy, but he looks better on the right side because he has help from the TE and the best RG in football and he's blocking less explosive pass rushers. I don't know what to think of Oher. Right now he's an average to slightly above-average RT and a replacement-level LT who looks great some days and miserable other days, hence overall grading out right around average.

I wouldn't extend him now. I'm usually all for locking up promising players a year early, but if I were Ozzie I would need to see Oher demonstrate more consistency for a year before I made a long-term commitment, and in this case I think caution justifies the risk of having to pay more if he plays well this year.
    I think it explains matters very well. His rookie season was his most impressive season. Going from playing well alongside Marshal Yanda, to struggling at LT could have messed with his confidence. Ideally, if he were kept at RT, one would think the progression would continue. However, the switch hindered that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I really don't think Oher's play is different from right to left and I think you guys are overrating his individual performance on the right side.
    So, in baseball parlance, it doesn't matter if an outfielder can play left or right field (according to you)? ... Bc

Sure, let's have him play well @ RT, then have to negotiate from a weaker position when he's about to be an UFA... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't see the Ravens or Oher looking for an extension until after this season. Oher is probably still hoping he gets another shot at LT and won't want to sign for RT money. The Ravens never negotiate with a player early if they have any questions about him. I agree that it would be a good move to try and lock him up this year but I can't see it happening.
    You nailed it, at this point im not sure for him it would make alot of sense. For the Ravens if they could get him at a modest rate while lowering his cap number this year they'd be all for it im sure but if Oher has a good year he could cash in on the open market.