Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: How can people (idiots) bash Flacco getting paid when he has these HOF-type accomplishments on his resume'

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    It's funny when Tebow was all the rage, it was all "Tebow just wins" regardless if he threw for 40 yards. Flacco sets NFL records for most wins and it's "The defense, Ray Rice, Boldin, etc bailed Flacco out".
    well said

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Re: How can people (idiots) bash Flacco getting paid when he has these HOF-type accomplishments on his resume'

I'm working on a spreadsheet that compares Flacco to every QB in NFL history in terms of what was accomplished over the first five years of their respective careers. It's not totally done, but I can tell you from an early perspective that the results are pretty staggeringly impressive in his favor.

I blame fantasy football. How good you are as a QB is determined by 5,000 yard seasons, consecutive games with a TD pass, and the like.

Look at Joe v. Matt Ryan. Ryan has 2 #1 receivers and the greatest TE in history. He plays his home games indoors. The three defenses in his division are all worse than Cleveland's defense. Joe has a solid running game behind him, a usually stout defense, and plays the Steelers and Bengals each year, and play most of their November to January games in cold and wind.

Joe will never have the numbers Ryan does. If he does, we are probably playing into our opponents hands. But people look at raw numbers, not reasons behind the numbers. It's like thinking that Barry Bonds is a better home run hitter than Babe Ruth.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Just about every stat you named was done recently. That's what everyone harps on. There this perception that Flacco is inconsistent. I do believe there's some truth to that. In my mind though I expect to Joe to be more consistent and take his game to the next level. He's elite and just flat out wins so no argument from me. If he passes for 4,000 yards and throws 30+ TDs, gets us back in the playoffs I think we'll see more folks jump on the bandwagon.
    His QB rating for the regular season is in the 80's and I believe he was ranked 14th last year. Middle of the pack. His completion percentage is a smidge under 60% which is below the general mark for the "elite" (of course very few pundits look at sacks, QB hurries and dropped passes). That's regular season Joe, and actually he's been pretty consistant with those kinds of stats each year. It's the playoffs where he goes off the charts.

Under Caldwell, I expect all his regular season stats to go up, if (and this is a big if) they get good supporting personel for him, mainly a slightly above average O line and a decent slot reciever.

Now, say all that happens and our O scores 30 points a game, but our D gives up 32. Joe has a great year stats wise but we don't make the playoffs. Do you think anyone will recognize his improved consistancy?
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

because flacco hasnt put together a pro bowl caliber season and is now the highest paid player in the league?...wasnt but 3 months ago many ravens fans were calling for drafting another qb ...but a 4 game stretch later and here we are

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt CouchPotato View Post
    because flacco hasnt put together a pro bowl caliber season and is now the highest paid player in the league?...wasnt but 3 months ago many ravens fans were calling for drafting another qb ...but a 4 game stretch later and here we are
    Question...what/why was the difference between all those seasons and the last 4 games?...actually, add in the Giants game with the 4 game run. The answer is right there for anyone who wants to see.

because flacco hasnt put together a pro bowl caliber season and is now the highest paid player in the league structured to be less of a cap hit then most of the other top 5 QB's ...wasnt but 3 months ago many ravens fans were calling for drafting another qb to replace the winningest QB in his first 5 years in the history of the NFL...but a 4 game stretch later and here we are World Champions
    Fixed that for you (bolding mine).

Look IMO Joe is not a great QB but he is a very good one who has a very good chance at being great with the right supporting cast. As far as the 'highest paid' status goes; the deal was structured right for the team, he won't be the highest paid for long, and he deserves the status (however momentary) because of his NFL record setting number of W's, his NFL record setting performance in the playoffs, his Super Bowl MVP award, and his excellent potential for the future now that we have the right OC.
    Twenty years of Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    His QB rating for the regular season is in the 80's and I believe he was ranked 14th last year. Middle of the pack. His completion percentage is a smidge under 60% which is below the general mark for the "elite" (of course very few pundits look at sacks, QB hurries and dropped passes). That's regular season Joe, and actually he's been pretty consistant with those kinds of stats each year. It's the playoffs where he goes off the charts.

Under Caldwell, I expect all his regular season stats to go up, if (and this is a big if) they get good supporting personel for him, mainly a slightly above average O line and a decent slot reciever.

Now, say all that happens and our O scores 30 points a game, but our D gives up 32. Joe has a great year stats wise but we don't make the playoffs. Do you think anyone will recognize his improved consistancy?
    100% agree. Tack on a few more pro bowl seasons and Flacco will get the respect he deserves outside of Baltimore. Being the highest paid player in the game right now makes him an easy target but very shortly that target will move to others like Rodgers, Ryan and Romo when they get their big contracts.

Many ravens fans were calling for a new QB?? Talk about exaggeration. Very few held that opinion. If anything the more dominating opinon was franchising him and letting him walk in exchange for draft picks.

Blog Entries

Seriously, haters are going to hate. Trying to figure out why is like examining undigested peanuts in dogshit. Waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Because most of the people bitching are casual fans who are ignorant the details.
    That's pretty much the answer.

In particular many of these "casual fans" are completely ignorant of how the salary cap works (I consider myself only partially ignorant). You keep hearing these comments from people saying things like "Ravens overpaid an average QB with a $120M contract and now they can't afford to keep anyone else". As those of us here know, that's complete rubbish. The team was bound to lose guys in any event, and if Flacco had been tagged instead of being signed, things would be even worse.

But you'll continue to hear this stuff from casual fans, especially if Joe puts up ho-hum numbers this year and/or the Ravens fail to make the playoffs. Best get used to it; it's just the way things are.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Seriously, haters are going to hate. Trying to figure out why is like examining undigested peanuts in dogshit. Waste of time.
    You feed your dog peanuts? ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.