Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The importance of Dean Pees

I for one am excited about the chance to see a younger faster defense in place for 2013. I did more screaming at the defense this year than in any year I can remember. And it was more run defense than anything else that drove me nuts. Way too many initial hits 4 or more yards down field.

So, with the influx of new Ravens (be they veterans or not), I think Dean Pees becomes an even more important piece of the puzzle. How fast he can get everyone on the same page will be paramount to the Raven's 2013 success on defense.

While every team plays good QBs every year, 2013's group doesn't quite match last year's batch. But the running backs could be more of a force than in 2012. Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, CJ Spiller and Reggie Bush get added to Arian Foster, Steven Ridley, Trent Richardson (x2), heck even Green-Ellis (x2) was over 1000 yards last year.. Shoring up the D-line, inserting Upshaw over Kruger and finding sure tackling ILBs are a key. How fast Pees gets them on the same page might even be a bigger one.

Blog Entries

Re: The importance of Dean Pees

We're going to have to wait and see how much younger and faster they are. Upshaw for example is not faster than Kruger. Obviously losing Ray and Ed will make the average younger but it will really depend on whether we sign veterans or go with rookies and backups for these open positions.

Blog Entries

Ngata moving to NT and Canty playing DE is an instant upgrade over having Cody and Kemo on the front 3. Canty is also probably a better player at this point than both McPhee and Art Jones, so you're getting two significant upgrades, then you get the player who plays the best to start at LE out of either Spears, McPhee or Art Jones. So the front 3 is obviously going to be a lot better. Pass rush will likely be a lot better with Suggs getting healthier, then you have the potencial of a Dumervil coming to town who's better than Kruger as a pass rusher, if not then you have guys like Osi as options or James Harrison. In general the front 4/5 is going to be A LOT better this year.

At ILB you're losing a very good LB in Dannell Ellerbe, despite being over paid, its still a loss. However, I'd like to see what McClellan and Bynes can do before passing any judgement about how we have downgraded the LB core of players, lets not forget that nobody seen this coming from Ellerbe at the beginning of last season. Corner should be around the same, if not better, depending on what happens with Webb health wise, I also think Grahame is a better player than Cary Williams. Safety is the only downgrade I see coming with Reed and Pollard gone, and it's a pretty big downgrade.

Blog Entries

On the Dean Pees front. He will coach for another season, then go back to the coaching game, then we'll promote Ted Monachino to DC, he'll call a top 5 defense and get a HC job somewhere the season after..... lol.

Face it, Reed was overrated last year and wasn't making big plays, and will be another year older. Pollard kept keeping drives alive because of his lack of discipline. Sure, I'll agree with have no answers at Safety. It will will have to addressed. But don't pretend like the unit last year was that great, or that Safety is that important of a position. It's the kind of position that 6th or 7th picks can be safe to start their rookie years.

Blog Entries

Unless this Offense is going to to toe with the leagues elite Offenses or blowing teams out the water, I have no faith in Dean Pees= Mattison 2.0

I guess you missed the fact that we had an elite red zone and turnover producing defense. Not to mention the championship securing Super Bowl stand huh JSmoove?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I guess you missed the fact that we had an elite red zone and turnover producing defense. Not to mention the championship securing Super Bowl stand huh JSmoove?
    I agree. Pees made some key calls on that goal line stand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

And he missed an old Reed's interceptions in Denver and the SB. Even Brady threw away from Reed and still got intercepted by Oh my gosh Carry Williams to ice the Championship game in NE.

This is what happens when a young QB starting the SB with only 10 pro starts throws vs an old man in the SB even if he is the best that ever was.

And the brawl breaks out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnZKZLpE6Q
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-21-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Blog Entries

I'll take the talent and heart of the defense before I give Dean Pees any credit.

Blog Entries

OT but what about Caldwell, is he a one year rental? If this offense continues to improve, or even plays on the same level is 2012, he's going to likely get offers and may go back into a HC position.

Get Cam on speed dial! kidding, kidding

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I'll take the talent and heart of the defense before I give Dean Pees any credit.
    Talent and heart are meaningless without scheme and coaching. Stop hatin' man. It's unbecoming.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron