Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: What's Your Favorite Ed Reed Moment?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieRavens View Post
    Forget which game but he picked it off in our endzone, and after wathcing the replay Brian Billick was yelling NO ED! NO ED! then he broke free then he was yelling GO ED! GO ED! HAHAHAHA.
    I remember that moment too. It was funny! I also forget the opponent and year.

So many highlights. The ones mentioned and I think there were two or three other solo blocked punt TD returns. He even did it in an All Pro game once. 1500 interception return yards is a lot of great plays.

Blog Entries

Gotta be the Kolb pick-6 for me. I remember the color man (Gruden?) shrieking "He baited him to throw that!" as if it shoulda been illegal--kinda like a grown man stealing a kid's lunch money...:D

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    2004 at the Redskins. The Ravens are down 10-0 at the half and Kyle Boller is just terrible. Jamal Lewis is moving the ball but it's only because he's running the ball twice for every pass attempt. It's looking bad and the only thing that's going to save things are some big plays by the defense.

Ed Reed takes over in the second half. He comes in on a blitz and it's so quick and violent that Mark Brunell drops the ball. Ed picks it up and runs it back for a score. Now he's in Brunell's head. Brunell can't seem to figure our where Reed is going to pop out next and throws a bad pick to Deion. He then starts holding the ball too long and getting sacked. They put Reed and Deion on the return team and the Redskins don't know who to cover and allow BJ Sams to return a punt for a TD. Ed Reed is beating the Redskins mentally as much as physically. Boller throws 3 picks and passes for 80 yards but the Redskins don't get another point. The Ravens win 17-10.

That was the power of Ed Reed in his prime. It was also the year he won the Defensive Player of the Year Award.
    You forgot the amazing stop on 3rd down Reed had in that game, it was critical and he flat out stuffed a run up the middle and chopped the back's legs right out. He timed his run blitz perfectly killed it.

Yeah, you're right, that was PRIME REED.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I forget which one it was, maybe both of them, but when he had one of his 108 yard record breaking returns from a few years ago. I was screaming at him (through the TV obviously) to take a knee and not run it out (pissed), than I was screaming at him to not lateral the ball (worried), and than I was screaming at him to run it all of the way back (elated). It's amazing the amount of emotions one, or two, returns can make you experience in about 4-5 seconds.
    This exemplifies the Ed Reed fan experience right here. He was the Deion Sanders of safeties, but with a distinctly gambler-like flair.

It's not my favorite Reed moment but it was the moment I was just in awe of how much smarter Reed is than every other player. Against the colts (2009, I believe) Reed lines up deep on the left hash as a single high safety. The moment the ball is snapped, he sprints diagonally backwards to the right hash. Meanwhile, Reggie Wayne beats the ravens corner deep on a fly on the left side of the field and Manning thinks he has a touchdown as Reed vacated the area and there's no safety help . Without ever looking at Manning or ANY receiver, Reed spins around from his sprint to the right hash and goes full speed back to the left, picking off Manning right in front of Wayne.

The look on Manning's face is priceless as he is completely baffled as to how his sure-touchdown got picked off. It captured the brilliance of Reed perfectly- he sprinted to the right solely to bait Manning into throwing left for what he would think would be a wide open throw. Reed surely made the decision pre snap that this is what he would do. It's a play that I have never seen any safety make and am sure no one else ever will. His instincts are uncanny. Reed completely outsmarted the smartest player in NFL history.

It's also a play that would never be recognized for the true brilliance that it represented if you didn't watch it on the All-22. On TV, it simply looked like Manning overthrew the ball into the waiting arms of Reed, another example of a play that shows how "lucky" Reed is in that quarterbacks "throw the ball right to him." Reed creates his "luck" with incredible instincts, athletic ability, and intelligence. Bill Belichick called the play the "defensive play of the year."

Blog Entries

106yd return against the browns in 2004. Browns were down at the goaline, final 45 seconds, getting ready to tie the game. Reed snatches it, takes it the distance, and wins the game for us. Thing about that game was that the first 59 minutes of it were one of the most boring uneventful games ever, and the thought of going into overtime and choking it up to the browns was torturous. But one game changing play at the very end and we are still talking about it 10 years later.

Next I would put his utter dominance of the NFC East in 2008. 2 ints and the FF on Portis that he took for a TD against the Skins, 2 ints including the 107yd return against the Eagles, and the 2 ints against the Cowboys in a must win December game to close out their old stadium. I have always felt that his 2008 season was every bit as dominant as his 2004 season and he really deserved a second DPOY for that campaign.

I also will never forget the pure joy that he displayed after beating the Pats in the AFCCG and after beating the Niners in the SB.

My favorite FB player ever.I look forward to cheering him one last time when the Texans come to town this year.
    Last edited by ballhawk; 03-23-2013 at 03:36 AM.

I haven't read all the way through so forgive me if this play has been mentioned, but remember the year the Broncos were 6-0 coming into Baltimore

Early in the game Denver threw a little swing pass to the running back (Mereno?) and Ed Reed came screaming in from the deep backfield and absolutely destroyed him.

That hit changed Denver's entire attitude, we spanked the Ponies hard and they never got over the whipping. They finished the year 8-8.

I'm not giving Ed all the credit for that win or Denver's ensuing hangover, but he sure had a hand in it, a big one.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

My moment is the Redskins game when he single handedly won the game when the offense didn't show up for the Ravens. The punt block and return in particular.

I don't want to be a downer on a thread dedicated to good memories, and we'll all always have them. But I have to say it's hard to show Ed the love for me right now. I just have trouble seeing him talk about how happy he is to be in Houston a month after he was at the podium belting out BALTIMORE!!! WE LOVE YOU!! to the crowd.

For a minute there I almost believed it...because I'm an idiot who wants to believe it.

Sometimes I get accused about being too analytical about the game and not passionate enough. It's the reality of why players really play the game in the NFL that prevents me from being an absolute zealot. I love the game and my team, or I wouldn't be here, but I have to admit every time Rodger Goodell's face comes on my TV it breaks off another little piece of my football-fan soul.

Each time he'd make an interception and they'd play Blink 182 "who-ho" song. The momentum would just swing b/c of Ed. Great Raven and i wish him well in Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil11 View Post
    Each time he'd make an interception and they'd play Blink 182 "who-ho" song. The momentum would just swing b/c of Ed. Great Raven and i wish him well in Houston.
    Are you referring to Blur's "Song #2"?

anyone remember him on his first "almost" int td return?showboating 5 yds too early against cinn.
    who would've known that was just practice.
    greatest ever, not even close.
    guy was so good, barely 200 lbs getting triple teamed on punts
    that tells u all u need to know about him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Gotta be the Kolb pick-6 for me. I remember the color man (Gruden?) shrieking "He baited him to throw that!" as if it shoulda been illegal--kinda like a grown man stealing a kid's lunch money...:D
    I remember. "That was an absolute horrible decision to throw that ball by Kevin Kolb." Then the play by play guy. "Well, take us through". Back to color commentator: "First off, I don't like the play call, throwing it from your own one. Ed Reed was on this ball the whole way, he baited Kevin Kolb into throwing that football, and then undercut it and took it back to the house".
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore