Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Bama AD just resigned....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ja...ay-but-not-now

With news of the school's athetic director stepping down Wednesday, attention will immediately turn to Newsome and any potential interest in the position. Several team sources who know Newsome well said they certainly could see him back at Alabama at some point, but got no sense he would be leaving now. He and the front office completeed the league meetings, and are still working to sign free agents and prepare for the draft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Prior to the 2013 offseason fiasco, I would have been concerned about losing Ozzie. No more. If he goes back to Alabama, best of luck to him. We'll get along fine without him. DecCosta is the backbone of the Ravens player personnel organization.
    You said the same thing about Phil Savage being the brains behind Ozzie and he's out of pro football. Ozzie just got
    another ring.

Nick Saban runs things at Alabama anyway. Ozzie would be playing 2d fiddle to him instead of running the show here.

This comes up every time there's a change at Alabama and nothing happens like here.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...icking-around/

Oz wants another ring here and catch up to his pal Bellicheat and with Flacco, he'll just do it.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-20-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Actually... I think Ozzie has indicated previously that the Bama AD job is an interesting proposition, but I would not expect him to leave at this time to take it, if offered. Maybe in another 5 years if it is available... But with his competitive nature and the way he makes decisions - I think he feel's he still has something left to prove here, even after a 2nd Super Bowl victory. But you never know.
    Yes he said he wouldn't take that job. I too believe him. But for a slightly different rationale. I think Tony Lombardi may have written an opinion piece that covers what I am going to say.

A college AD at a big time program like this is, more than anything else, a fundraiser. His job is to go to rubber chicken dinners, BS with the good ole' boys, slap some backs, and ask for money.

That's clearly an extreme way to characterize it, but true.

The thinking is that Ozzie is a football guy. If you saw the 30 for 30 piece on the Browns under Belichick there was Ozzie working at the lowest level of the organization as a "Slappy" they called that, and they enjoyed being called. Ozzie wants go to work, look at game film, grade players and run a football team.

I have a hard time believing there is enough money to make him leave that for an AD job, where "Slappy" would correctly characterize the job, but in a completely different way. I just don't see it.

Blog Entries

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1m
    Despite Ozzie Newsome being mentioned for Alabama AD vacancy, no one I've spoken with thinks he's leaving the Ravens. He loves his job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    An AD steps down after it's major program wins back to back National Championships?
    He's 73 years old. His health is bad and everyone knew sooner or later he was going to retire. It's been a rumor for the past 4 or 5 years.

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 3m

Ozzie Newsome not expected to leave Ravens for Alabama AD vacancy http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,3734003.story

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    A college AD at a big time program like this is, more than anything else, a fundraiser. His job is to go to rubber chicken dinners, BS with the good ole' boys, slap some backs, and ask for money.

That's clearly an extreme way to characterize it, but true.
    While ADs do have to be a slappy, there is a lot more to the job than just that, but I know you already get it. And we agree that Ozzie is more interested in running a pro football team (at this time) than being an AD, even back at Bama.

I believe that whoever takes the job now will only be there 5 - 7 years, maybe 10 at the outside, and perhaps Ozzie would be ready at that time to return to his roots as a slappy.

:)

Ozzie is not playing second fiddle to Saban on the football side of the house. Which means he would be relegated to basketball, volleyball, gymnastics and water polo. Ehhh.. I think it's safe to say he's staying.

If Bama was just coming off a couple losing seasons and Saban was getting fired, then yeah..

Blog Entries

Noway Ozzie is taking a backseat to Saban at Bama, Saban worked under Ozzie with the Browns. Not a chance, If Bama was in dire straights I could see it, not with Bama on top as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Prior to the 2013 offseason fiasco, I would have been concerned about losing Ozzie. No more. If he goes back to Alabama, best of luck to him. We'll get along fine without him. DecCosta is the backbone of the Ravens player personnel organization.
    REALLY!?!?!?

/smh

I recall reading recently somewhere that Ozzie wanted to win a 3rd superbowl before he considered leaving

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    REALLY!?!?!?

/smh
    I guess you didn't see his "massacre" thread huh?