Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules



    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Disagree. The penalty, per what the league was telling NFLN, is only in open space. Ridley wasn't in open space in this instance.
    it's anything 'outside the tackle zone' and he was several yards downfield already. not sure where you heard open space or what it means
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,130
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I didn't think all fumbles are automatically reviewed, only touchdowns?
    All turnovers are automatically reviewed.




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    To elaborate, per what Jeff Fisher said on NFLN yesterday, the penalty would only be assessed if the ball carrier (not just RB, could be a WR or TE or even a KR) was in open space, and, in the opinion of the official, lowered his helmet with the purpose of initiating contact.

    So, for instance, if Anquan Boldin catches a screen pass and is one-on-one with Richard Sherman on the perimeter and lowers his helmet and barrels towards Sherman, that could be a penalty. If Frank Gore takes the carry and goes up the middle and lowers his head to try get an extra 1-2 yards, that is not, due to not being in "open field". Seems very ambiguous to me, frankly. Also, seems like the scope of this being called is quite narrow.

    I guess they feel like if you are a ball carrier and in the open field, they want you to stiff arm or try to elude the tackle in another way. The incoming tackler is attempting to make a tackle and should not be put at danger by a launched helmet from the ball carrier. In that respect, it's not much different than a defenseless receiver. I don't agree with the rule, but I think that's the logic.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Wy not remove helmets and play it like rugby, very rarely do you see conscussions in It, they will then learn proper form tackling




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    if any of you guys has a link to the 'open space' claims I'd like to see it. Here's the definition of the rule:

    Owners voted 31-1 to approve the rule that penalizes players, namely running backs, who forcibly initiate contact with the crown of the helmet anywhere outside the tackle box.
    Jeff Fisher said it will bring the shoulder back into the game instead of the helmet... whatever that means
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,366
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    This is going to be a clusterfuck.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Pollard is in big trouble where ever he plays next year. He has a knack for launching at people with his head first.

    And perhaps this is a good reason NOT to bring Reed back.




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I didn't think all fumbles are automatically reviewed, only touchdowns?
    He's right. Originally it was just scoring plays that were given automatic reviews. But prior to this past season they voted to also include any turnover as automatically reviewable.

    For me its moot in this case because it was too close to overturn that call either way. I believe whatever was called on the field would have stood even with the review.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    this link has a nice summary of the rule changes: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...5532--nfl.html

    It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    If Frank Gore takes the carry and goes up the middle and lowers his head to try get an extra 1-2 yards, that is not [a penalty] due to not being in "open field". Seems very ambiguous to me, frankly.
    Me too. Which is why I posted the example with Ridley and Pollard. Would you say Ridley is in the open field? He's past the line of scrimmage, at the second level, getting hit by the safety, the position so-named because he is the last line of defense. So, is this in the open field? Is Ridley intentionally delivering a blow with the crown of his helmet?

    Very ambiguous, I'd say.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Me too. Which is why I posted the example with Ridley and Pollard. Would you say Ridley is in the open field? He's past the line of scrimmage, at the second level, getting hit by the safety, the position so-named because he is the last line of defense. So, is this in the open field? Is Ridley intentionally delivering a blow with the crown of his helmet?

    Very ambiguous, I'd say.
    they defined it, but yes it will not be without controversy: an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line

    Not sure where people keep coming up with 'open field'
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    The funny thing about that play, Ridley knocked himself out. People who want to put the consequences of that hit on Pollard, aren't being intelectually honest.

    This rule change is another example of them trying to change the fundamentals of the game. These guys have been playing their whole lives like that and now the NFL wants them to change the neurological pathways and muscle memory that they have built for 15 years of their lives. Stupid.
    I don't necessarily agree with the rule change, but this argument against making changes doesn't really work because it's obviously self-perpetuating. That is: you never change because the current crop of players has always done thing one (wrong) way...which means that every other generation to come along learns it the wrong way too and, hey, can't change it then either.




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    236
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    For perspective, Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network reported that the NFL coaches were informed that, in the committee's opinion, in week 17 of the 2012 season there were only "5 or 6" cases where a penalty flag should have been thrown on a running back for leading with the helmet.


    It sounds to me like this penalty is only intended to be used rarely (but, effectively, we're all speculating until week 1 of next year).




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by inexplicable View Post
    in week 17 of the 2012 season there were only "5 or 6" cases
    That doesn't seem like a rare happenstance. That implies it's going to get called in 75% of the games, week-in-week-out. That's just one more annoying, game-stopping, controversial penalty on top of all the other ones we have to endure each week. If this was the only bad rule we'd have to endure, okay, but to my way of thinking it just adds to the three or four frustrating stoppages every week.




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    This is going to be a clusterfuck.
    Yep, and the reason is pretty simple: the NFL doesn't give a damn about "player safety," they just care about creating the perception that they care about it.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland