Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    And cue ASB in 3..2..1..
    Cue me for what? As much as I support the previous safety initiatives, this one is to me, idiotic.

As for his point about baseball, it's his opinion, but I don't think it will be a popular re: football unless the NFL does something far more drastic than try to remove head injuries from the game.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Re: You make the call: Pollard v. Ridley, 2013 rules

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    it sounds good on the surface; lower your shoulder instead of your head. But in the heat of the battle it's a different matter

That means lower your shoulder but keep your head up?
    I can imagine starting to see Cirque du Soleil postures happening
    and I can see some heretofore injuries that have never occurred on a football field happening and getting new orthopedic names like Runningback Neck.
    How many times had we oldsters ever heard turf toe before artificial surfaces?

MMA has grown in popularity after boxing fiascos (especially judgings)
    I doubt if Haloti will ever return to Rugby, but wouldn't surprise me if not far down the road Rugby starts making inroads into the NFL's core fan base. We are just a couple of rule changes away.

Lets start by suspending Ed Reed for his uncalled for attack of Lady Brady's foot with his groin.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    That means lower your shoulder but keep your head up?
    I can imagine starting to see Cirque du Soleil postures happening
    and I can see some heretofore injuries that have never occurred on a football field happening and getting new orthopedic names like Runningback Neck.
    Ha! But really tackling would start to resemble what happens in rugby-which is what it used to be like. I have no problem with the rule change.

this is a little off topic,but im still thinking that we may have been awarded a fumble recovery for a non fumble on that play. meaning, when he fell, his butt was on ground, like a sitting position, and then his arm w ball fell, ball hit knee, and popped out. isnt he down at that point that his butt was down?. im so glad it was ruled a fumble obviously. watching it happen and w the delay w attending to ridley, they showed the replay a zillion times, i kept wondering WHEN the red flag was coming. anyone please explain the adjudication of the play on that note,thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    it sounds good on the surface; lower your shoulder instead of your head. But in the heat of the battle it's a different matter
    When I played football from the late 50s to 70s I always led with the shoulders, never the head. Wouldn't think of leading with the head but the game changed. One of my favorite hits was when a RB came at me with a blocker in front of him and I
    hit the blocker with a fore arm smash under the throat and leveled the back with my shoulders. The blocker and back went out of the game every time with the blocker having breathing probs and they ran to the other side after that, I never needed the head. I even fought that way-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-20-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    It's going to be a walking clusterfuck.
    Techincally, a running clusterfuck.

Blog Entries

So the rule passed... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-rule-passes/

Good thing we cut Pollard then huh? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    So the rule passed... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-rule-passes/

Good thing we cut Pollard then huh? lol
    Funny, this passed and the tuck rule was reversed. I can see this has being detrimental to enjoying a football game as we've grown to love. The game is evolving into something less desirable and this could tip the scales for many fans. Boxing is getting it from MMA now and football is setting itself up for losing fans.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie b View Post
    this is a little off topic,but im still thinking that we may have been awarded a fumble recovery for a non fumble on that play. meaning, when he fell, his butt was on ground, like a sitting position, and then his arm w ball fell, ball hit knee, and popped out. isnt he down at that point that his butt was down?. im so glad it was ruled a fumble obviously. watching it happen and w the delay w attending to ridley, they showed the replay a zillion times, i kept wondering WHEN the red flag was coming. anyone please explain the adjudication of the play on that note,thanks
    It was certainly close. His calf was down just about at the same time as his shin caused the ball to pop out. I'd say the butt was a fraction later. But it was close. Too close to reverse the call on the field though. I think the red flag didn't come out because it wasn't clearly a bad call, and you can't risk the timeout if you challenge and it doesn't get reversed.

I'd say if they called him down when it happened, the reverse would also be true. Too close to reverse the call.

All fumbles are automatically reviewed anyway. Pulling out the red flag would be a penalty.

Blog Entries

I sure wouldn't want to be an official in the early days of this rule. They're going to piss a lot of people off just trying to do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Funny, this passed and the tuck rule was reversed. I can see this has being detrimental to enjoying a football game as we've grown to love. The game is evolving into something less desirable and this could tip the scales for many fans. Boxing is getting it from MMA now and football is setting itself up for losing fans.
    Honestly, meh. I grew up in the 60's and the rules were certainly different than what they are today and along with that the game is a lot more popular today.