Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Arthur Brown - ILB - Kansas State

I've been watching full games of all of the ILB prospects, because after losing Ellerbe, I'll be fairly surprised if Baltimore doesn't select one in the first few rounds. I've watched 4 or 5 full games each for Ogletree, Minter, Te'o, Brown and Reddick.

Arthur Brown is my favorite of the top-tier prospects at that position.

Attachment 1576

I watched Kansas State vs. Miami, @ WVU, vs. Texas Tech, vs. Texas, and the Fiesta Bowl against Oregon doing nothing but paying close attention to Arthur Brown.

Here are my thoughts based on his game tape, if anyone cares to read them :

Arthur Brown is going to MURDER finesse Offensive Lines. He is very difficult to cut block. So many instances of failed cut blocking attempts that really didn't even slow him down...he's just too athletic. He is also extremely difficult to block with anything other than an O-Lineman. There are numerous times that you see Brown simply run through or past attempted blocks by FBs and TEs.

He has crazy acceleration. You see Guards and Centers pulling out into the 2nd level targeting Brown in order to set up blocking downfield...Brown diagnoses it, and accelerates past the blocker to the ballcarrier. I can't tell you how many times I saw an O-Lineman completely whiff on Brown...but it was a lot. You see a ton of players slapping their own hands together in frustration after the play because their RB is on the ground from a missed block that you can see they totally THOUGHT they had target-locked for certain.

Brown ran a good time as his Pro Day, and you can see that his speed definitely translates to the field. Specifically, in the Texas game, there was a screen pass to Johnathan Gray (Texas RB #32) on the opposite side of the field away from Brown, and he ran Gray down. In the game against West Virginia, you could see throughout the entire game that it was the K-State coaching staff's plan to have Brown matched up on Tavon Austin in the short-intermediate zone. He was Brown's responsibility from the jump, and Austin had his worst game of the season (6 catches for 34 yards). I've read in a few places Draftniks making a big deal that Brown was the player that intercepted Geno Smith when he was on his "hot streak"...but that play was really made by Randall Evans (K-State DB #15). Having said that, Brown was close enough around the ball all day long, that he was in position to catch the deflection off of Evans, which is a good thing obviously, but even without the INT, Brown stood out in that game containing one of the most dangerous weapons in College Football.

Some of the things that he needs to work on...

When the action is away from Brown, you do see a lot of the ol' College Jog behind the play.

Brown guesses a little more than you'd like to see. He'll shoot a gap and take himself out of a play, when if he had been a little more patient, the ballcarrier would have been close enough for him to make the play.

TEs ate up the Kansas State intermediate zone, but having watched the game film, I think a significant share of the blame for that should be credited to the fact that fellow K-State LB Jarell Childs is atrocious. At first glance, it seems like there were several times I watched a TE run right by Brown and make a catch down the seam...but backing the tape up to watch again, it's often Childs that is beaten badly so early in the play that you THINK it's Brown's responsibility, but it wasn't.

He arm-tackles a decent amount, especially if he has a blocker to beat between himself and the ballcarrier. I will say though, Brown must be really strong, because you see him lunge and before he makes the tackle, you're saying to yourself "Man, it would have been nice to see him wrap up there, because the RB is going to run right through tha...OH! He got him down with that arm-tackle!" I literally saw a few times where on a less-than-ideal angle to the ballcarrier, with an arm-tackle that seems destined to fail, Brown stop the RB dead in his tracks. Additionally, if he is head-up on the RB, with an unimpeded path to the ballcarrier, 98 times out of 100 he is going to form-tackle...with violence.

He does get frozen by play-action some. Against Oregon, Brown bites hard on the play fake, and lets Colt Lyerla (Oregon TE #15) run right across his face down the seam for a big gain.

He is slightly undersized...Brown will get engulfed by OTs if they are able to lock onto him, and he's not able to slip under with speed / athleticism. He can be neutralized to some extent in the run game with physicality, and targeted blocking designed to get to him...but other than that, he's everything you'd want in a 34 ILB. He's fast, aggressive, instinctive, and fluid. If he goes to a team with a stout D-Line, Brown will be a terror right out of the gate in my opinion.

Attachment 1577

I obviously have no clue where Brown will end up being drafted. ILB is generally not considered to be a marquee position (at least in regards to the draft), and sometimes ends up being undervalued...but I've seen him ranked everywhere from #20 to #50. With the other names in the draft at his position, I think it will end up depending on what specific team thinks which specific player would be a really good fit in their scheme, and personally, I think Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and the Jets make the most sense for Arthur Brown. I would include New England in that too, but they have Mayo, and they just drafted Hightower last year.

We'll see how it goes.

Re: Arthur Brown - ILB - Kansas State

Hi five! Love brown

Blog Entries

I think this guy is going to go a bit higher than people currently rate him, likely the early to mid 20's or maybe even as high as Chicago.

Blog Entries

I don't know if I would call him undersized anymore.

At his pro-day he was 6'1" and about 240-245lbs.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I wouldnt be surprised if no ILB goes in the first. The ONLY reason, any of these guys goes in the first is because its so terribly weak of high end talent. theyre all second rounders, imo.

That said im starting to like the idea of double dipping with Brown and if he lasts Bostic. Thats assuming we trade out of 1 if nobody falls. I think those two probably have the most potential outside Olgetree. knowing how we feel about LBs though, the more likely scenario is we use one of our first 3 on one and double dip with a later round or bring a top UDFA. ILB is a somewhat devalued position (ala RB) so eventhough we have a need, Im not sure the actual value will be there in Oz's eyes.
    -JAB

Love Brown. Reminds me of Bobby Wagner (Seahawks). Likely will be gone by 32 as he is projected as a OLB by NFL scouts. Bostic is more likely. He is the fastest projected ILB coming out. I believe the Seahawks defensive makeup on the back end (LBs and DBs) is what Pees wants. Young, fast, raw, swarming and bulk up front.

Thanks for the analysis, great read.

Blog Entries

I think he skipped workouts at the combine due to an injury. But then Wicked mentioned his pro day - how'd he do?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think he skipped workouts at the combine due to an injury. But then Wicked mentioned his pro day - how'd he do?
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/15/111645/

This guy sounds almost like Ray when he came out. Instinctive, around the same size, not overly fast, tackling machine. Brown and Bostic would look good on the inside wouldn't they...

Brown would be a very nice pick. A few other teams with ILB needs would have to skip over him though. Definitely he should be on the Ravens radar.

I like Brown.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.