Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: OT - What team would be bigger failure? Denver, Atlanta or Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Atlanta is really getting to that point where psychologically they are just fucked. If they don't reach the Superbowl this year, it's going to set them back hard.

Denver is what it is, a team with Peyton Manning at the helm that will reach the playoffs, and probably fall short. That's just the norm with Peyton.
    Spot-on post.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

I'd say it has to be Denver, if only because they're so much better than anyone else in their division...giving them a pretty clear path to the playoffs and a high seed in the AFC. The Falcons have to contend with the Saints, at least, and the Seahawks aren't clearly better than the 49ers.

I would say Atlanta only because the pedestal that Ryan is put on and his weapons. Also that he is the player in his prime with the other two teams having a player in the January (Seattle) of this career and the other in the December (Denver).

Denver. Because they are all in with Manning at QB. He's one of the greatest of all time, but he's coming to the end of the line, and behind him they have a complete unknown.

Seattle and Atlanta have good young teams with QB's who have a lot of upside.

I will agree it is Denver because they went all in with Manning and their window is closing soon. Also Manning only has 1 title and he would want a second to help cement his legacy as one of the top all time QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Rich Gannon is still pissed that Goose absolutely destroyed him in the 2001 AFCCG.
    I would bet that in the middle of the night, Gannon still jumps out of bed gasping for air and in a sweat, yelling, "I can't breathe! My shoulders are touching! Both collar bones are broke!"

7. Re: OT - What team would be bigger failure? Denver, Atlanta or Seattle?

I honestly don't believe that Peyton or Brady will see another SB ring in the remainder of their careers. I'd say of those 3 teams, Atlanta and Matty Melt would be the biggest failure because no not make it because seemingly every move they make in FA or the draft, everyone seems to call it the "missing piece of the SB puzzle." They get hyped up every year because of Matty "Ice" but they're just pretenders to me until they can prove otherwise

Denver's window is closing and Peyton's noodle arm isn't getting any stronger. Seattle is a team that is for real though. Russell Wilson is imo the best 2nd year QB and they just have a solid team on both sides of the ball, they will be a contender for the SB for years.

Blog Entries

In my opinion, it would be Denver. No one is going to crush Seattle for failing if Russell Wilson gets hurt running the read option or if they stumble in the playoffs again, because Russell Wilson would only be in his second year.

Atlanta would be considered a failure, but it would be relative to what they've been: a playoff failure

Peyton has, for the most part, been that as well. However, he does have one ring to his name and a lot more notoriety. His arrival to Denver was what everyone felt was the Broncos' missing piece. They were supposed to win it all last year. They'll probably get a first round bye this year. Two one and dones would be devastating to the organization, because they invested so much in Manning who only has but so many years left. Plus, they would have to make some moves due to his increasing cap figure and it wouldn't make sense to restructure his deal given his age.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I guess another way to look at it is that the Falcons have been good ever since Matt Ryan got there, and they had maybe 1-2 bad sesaons during the Vick to Ryan gap. The Seahawks have had a lot of great runs with Hassleback and played in the most recent Super Bowl of any of them, they've also always had a bad division to feast off of.

The Broncos won 2 SB's in the Clinton administration, and were in the play-offs consistantly in the Mike Shanahan regime, but they've been pretty mediocre up until they got Peyton Manning since then.

So, in a sense you could argue that the frustration has been building up for Seattle and Atlanta for years. Regular season success and play-off appearances with no rings to show for it. The Broncos fans are probably just happy to be back to being a team in the conversation, and still have franchise rings to speak of.

Sure, it's probably still the Broncos, they have no future after Peyton retires, but for the reasons I just mentioned, it's probably closer than people think. The Patriots would also be another name to toss in the ring. They won 3 rings that are clouded by spygate quickly, but haven't won any since. Brady is getting older and slowing down, and his contract favors now, but will bite them later, and he's getting long in the tooth. They will probably win one more before he hangs it up, but who knows? Every year is probably Super Bowl or bust for them.

I don't know that they are in the same ballpark as Denver, but some pressure has to be mounting in Houston to beat somebody other than Cincy in the playoffs.

Blog Entries

Does beating Cinci even count as a playoff win?

Denver is the team to beat in the AFC, but I would be most surprised if the Niners weren't back in the NFC. They have improved the weak spot, secondary, on an awesome defense, and they stole Boldin from us. They made it last season and have only gotten better on both sides of the ball. Atlanta is the same team. Seattle still isn't there yet.