Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens plan on meeting with Elvis Dumerville next week

Someone will offer him more than we can afford. Though I would love the addition.

Dumervil is a good pass rusher which we need, but again, I'm really confused by the FO here. Do they want to get younger and go through a bit of a retool/reload while cleaning up their cap and growing through the draft over the next few years, or do they want to load up, blow the cap, and win now?

I guess the upside is that this looks like a buyer's market for older defensive ends, so if you need one now is a good time. What would the ramifications of a Dumervil signing be? Would the Ravens consider cutting Suggs with a post-June 1 designation (would save 6.4m against the cap this year and 3.2m next year?)

Hate to burst everybody's bubble but he's going to be too expensive.

Blog Entries

WHY would the Ravens even bother to show interest if they thought they'd not have a shot at signing him?

Blog Entries

Also, if guys like Cliff Avril signed for what they did, what makes you all so sure he's going to get more than we can afford? We could have easily afforded a guy like Cliff Avril or what Bennett got if we really wanted them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Dumervil is a good pass rusher which we need, but again, I'm really confused by the FO here. Do they want to get younger and go through a bit of a retool/reload while cleaning up their cap and growing through the draft over the next few years, or do they want to load up, blow the cap, and win now?
    Right player right price.

I assume age is certainly a factor, but not the only factor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Hate to burst everybody's bubble but he's going to be too expensive.
    Avril got 2/$15M
    Bennett got 1/$5M

Both are younger.

8. Re: Ravens plan on meeting with Elvis Dumerville next week

Ah, just realized I butchered his name! Dumervil.

It would be an intriguing move if they made it. I too wonder if we could afford him based on what others have garnered in FA. It would be a wild pickup, but I'm not counting on it. Still very interesting to see that they are meeting with him.

iggyman555 Guest

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Elvis Dumervil would have to wait five days from the time he terminates his agent to hire a new one. It's the NFLPA rules. Saga

Blog Entries

IMO the Ravens wont bring in Dumerville and offer him something ridiculous like 4.5M a year. They will offer him a deal worth around 6M a year IMO, and they can get that cap hit down to around 3-4M in the first year, and it would likely be for a 3 year deal. I'm not sure if he'd get much more than 6M a year anywhere else.

Seems to me since we're loading up on the d-line and have lots of holes at LB, we'll be seeing a lot of, if not a total, 4-3 defense next year. They're going to have to find a MLB who can really run. I don't think McClain is that guy, but we'll see. Seems to me we have Upshaw at one OLB spot and need to fill the other two spots.

P.S. Dumervil works for me. He's got gas left in the tank, and teamed with what should be a healthy Suggs, would give other teams fits.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

He was cut so he fits the mold of who we go after.

I don't see how we afford him though without making other moves.

I'd also rather us go after Long if we are going spend big...but he wasn't cut so I guess that doesn't fit our MO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.