Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: This Offseason Will Make or Break the Long Term Reputation of the Ravens Front Office

It sounds like you are more concerned what some mean fan from another team might think versus the reality that this is one of the best franchises in all of sports. Ozzie has two rings, drafted multiple FBHOF'ers and made 4 AFCCG...I'm pretty sure his legacy is intact as one of the greatest to ever GM the game.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Re: This Offseason Will Make or Break the Long Term Reputation of the Ravens Front Office

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Really?

we just inked a 120 Million Dollar Franchise QB, Cut Pollard, Let Ellerbe, Williams, and maybe Reed walk, Traded Boldin, in the same year that Ray and Birk retired?

Once again... I AGREE WITH EACH OF THESE MOVES.

I think they were the right thing for the franchise.

But risk to the franchise is based on fan perception... And there's a metric shitload of risk at play in the offseason.

And I applaud them for their willingness to undertake it for the betterment of the franchise.
    Signing Flacco is not a bold move it was one of three options they had, sign him, tag him or let him walk. They signed him to a contract that freed up 7 to 17 million depending on what tag they would have used.

Boldin and Reed are not what they once were, and Ellerbe, Williams and Pollard are not what you are making them out to be.

This is one of the worst defenses we have fielded in the past decade so I'm not sure I can agree that these are tough moves for the FO to make.

I understand you say you agree with the moves but your thread says this is make or break and I call BS!
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Me too. That's kinda why I wrote what I thought was a pretty complementary piece.

No sweat.
    I still don't agree with the title though! But the rest is fair debate.

Also I don't think 'letting walk' is the proper term to describe losing Ellerbe and Kruger. No way Ozzie ever makes those deals. And if you don't think some birdie whispered in Ellerbe's ear before FA hit that he could get 7mln per yr in Miami then I have a bridge to sell.

FA & Draft are the seasons that make or break every Front Office!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Didn't Vinny Testeverde avg 36 points a game???
    Nope, it was around 24. The 2012 team was the highest scoring team in Ravens history.

Adalius Thomas, Edgerton Hartwell, LeRon McClain, Bart Scott, Derrick Mason, and countless other examples are players that left the Ravens to a chorus of wailing and gnashing of teeth only to find that perhaps they owed as much of their success to the franchise, as the franchise owed to them. Maybe there's some truth to that. Maybe the Ravens make more of their players more than they really are. Maybe with the right coaching, strategy, and puzzle-fitting, the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts. But I digress.
    I am not totally disgreeing with your hypothesis here, but you do know Ray Lewis was responsible for the play-above-your-abilities phenomenon the Ravens have enjoyed these many years way more than any coach the Ravens have had to date right?

I have long feared that we would suck pretty good for a season or two after Ray retired for this very reason, so I don't mind the personnel turnover that much. If you're likely to suck you may as well take advantage of it. We have alot of picks and alot of cap space right now. We also have more talent still on the team than we did in 96-98. It may be rough here for a season or two but it'll be entertaining too. I trust Oz & Eric & Co.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. The title of the thread says one thing, the body of your initial post says another.
    ^ +1

Sorry, OP. I respectfully have to agree with these sentiments. No biggie though. This Thread Will Make or Break the Long Term Reputation of Your Posting Ability.

Blog Entries

The front office puts their reputation on the line every year. That's just the way the job works.

If the team tanks the next 5 years then they'll say Ozzie has lost it. It won't diminish everything he's accomplished the past 17 years. If the team continues to compete every year then it will be business as usual.

The FO has set its reputation over the lifetime of the team and certain people will rip it no matter what. When has the debate about whether or not it was appropriate to dump a SB-winning QB not been tied to the competence of the FO? Nobody refers to the fact that the RB that carried the team was out in TC and a collection of has-beens filled the backfield; or that they made it to the the PO; or that they won the first round; or that they may have won the second round if the HC switched the QB based on the swing of the game? No, the debate will always be there that the FO fumbled the ball and that it was the worst move in the history of a SB-winning team; because they did not repeat.

The coaches have changed. The FO has remained solid at the top, with moving parts in the lower levels, but with talent to do the job. Regardless of the personnel that the FO obtains/drops, it is still up to the coaches to coach and the players to play - and the ball to bounce a certain way in the year. There are a lot of movable parts to make the team work, and all of them have to be on the same page. As a whole, the organization is built to do that; proven by the years of PO appearances and two Trophies in 12 years. When you have a FO that picks up players from the trash pile during the season and those parts are in the mix for the next season, they are listening to the coaches and working to keep the team competitive.

I was at a restaurant the other night and heard a guy complain that Ozzie was too old to do his job anymore - since he should have cut Flacco rather than trading Boldin. And if I see another person refer to Flacco's contract as a 120 million dollar deal that hurt the present roster, I am going to scream. These people will see what they want to see and it will never change.

The next five years will make or break the Front Office only if they go out of character.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The front office puts their reputation on the line every year. That's just the way the job works.

If the team tanks the next 5 years then they'll say Ozzie has lost it. It won't diminish everything he's accomplished the past 17 years. If the team continues to compete every year then it will be business as usual.
    Agreed.

The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league.

If the Ravens tank this season, some people may begin to feel a little uncomfortable in their seats...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.