Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 240
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?



    Seriously, this has gone four pages? Flat cap. Poor performance and/or injury issues = short terms & relative low dollar contracts. Plenty of players, including some of our own departing FA's, cashed in. It really is that simple.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  2. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,030
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    The real way to check is seeing how much cap space is left when we get to camp. If there are a lot of teams near the salary cap floor then you have to ask why. If most teams are closer to the ceiling than the floor then it's just business as usual.

    The individual deals don't matter. It's the overall cap dollars spent that will let you know if something is going on.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  3. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Per Albert breer: DeMaurice Smith letter to agents: "we have heard reports of a concern that teams are working in concert ..." to "peg", "rig" or "set" market prices on player contracts."


    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Seriously, this has gone four pages? Flat cap. Poor performance and/or injury issues = short terms & relative low dollar contracts. Plenty of players, including some of our own departing FA's, cashed in. It really is that simple.
    It is not that simple. If it were that simple people that have been in the business for decades wouldn't be so suspicious right now.
    Last edited by bt12483; 04-03-2013 at 04:11 PM.




  4. #79

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    And yet it keeps popping up:

    Aaron Wilson (@RavensInsider) tweeted at 3:20 PM on Wed, Apr 03, 2013:
    NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith asked agents to pass on any suspicions of collusion from NFL teams regarding free agency
    As if the agents wouldn't already be doing that. Desperate times ...
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.




  5. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    As if the agents wouldn't already be doing that. Desperate times ...
    This new letter confirms what I have been saying. You can believe or not.




  6. #81

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    The only way a collusion claim could possibly make any sense at all is if you can show that owners are spending less overall than usual. I have yet to see any evidence of that.




  7. #82

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    This new letter confirms what I have been saying.
    "we have heard reports of a concern"

    THAT confirms what you've been saying?
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.




  8. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    "we have heard reports of a concern"

    THAT confirms what you've been saying?
    laugh it up. Albert breer and Aaron Wilson wouldn't be talking about it if it were bogus. You and others immediately ridiculed my posts. Now my posts are being validated.




  9. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    This new letter confirms what I have been saying. You can believe or not.
    I'll go with not. Smith is under a lot of heat I'm sure, with the cap being so flat and lots of veterans being cap casualties. I'll chalk it up to deflection. His letter is certainly not the smoking gun you make it out to be.

    As for the media reporting on it, c'mon. They report on every little thing, legit or not.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  10. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I'll go with not. Smith is under a lot of heat I'm sure, with the cap being so flat and lots of veterans being cap casualties. I'll chalk it up to deflection. His letter is certainly not the smoking gun you make it out to be.
    at least my position has a gun. You guys are simply dismissing it, but people in the industry are not. I have commincated some of their opinions. You have provided nothing in support of your position. I have nfl media people talking about the same things I've been posting. You have your own words as your sole support. I'd say the scales tip in my favor.




  11. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,030
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    laugh it up. Albert breer and Aaron Wilson wouldn't be talking about it if it were bogus. You and others immediately ridiculed my posts. Now my posts are being validated.
    They are reporting what the head of the NFLPA is saying. Unless you are a quarterback you're going to be pissed at Smith. He screwed you. Of course Smith is going to try and point the finger at the owners. What choice does he have? Let him file a grievance. If there is any truth to this he will.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1
    Pat Kirwan has talked about this several times. The market is flooded and the cap is flat. Plus drafted players are cheap and plentiful. A lot of FA won't get signed at all and it will likely be worse next year.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  13. #88

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    You have provided nothing in support of your position.
    The MANY reasons for this year's pattern of contract offers have been expounded on ad nauseam. You've ignored all of it because you know you're right. This is a waste of time. Call us if the Feds get involved.
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.




  14. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    You guys are simply dismissing it,
    We're dismissing it because there is zero possibility that it's true, and a heavily biased source saying that he's heard reports of concerns of it is about as far from a smoking gun as possible. Collusion requires that the owners are A. Working together in secret to keep salaries down, and B. That salaries are down.

    A is unprovable, and there is zero evidence to change that. B is perfectly easy to disprove. Contracts and team salaries are public information. As of April 1, no team had more than 23% of it's possible cap space available and 27 of them had less than 15%. Clearly, teams are spending to the cap in the vast majority of cities. The ones who aren't are compelled by the CBA to get up to the cap floor soon anyway.

    Positional devaluation is NOT collusion. The best punter in the universe will earn less than the 128th best cornerback. The best corner will earn less than the 10th best QB. That's not collusion, unless you also think Sam Koch should make more than Torrey Smith.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  15. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    at least my position has a gun. You guys are simply dismissing it, but people in the industry are not. I have commincated some of their opinions. You have provided nothing in support of your position. I have nfl media people talking about the same things I've been posting. You have your own words as your sole support. I'd say the scales tip in my favor.
    Your gun would be...?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland