Competition Committe Proposes Rule Changes

The competition committee is suggesting multiple rules changes this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bylaw-changes/

Most notably, they are proposing to eliminate the tuck rule and to amend the rules regarding automatically reviewable plays. When a coach throws a red flag on a play that would be automatically reviewed, the play would still be reviewed but the team will lose a timeout, or 15 yards if they are already out of time outs. There are also some player safety suggestions.

Personally, I'm all for getting rid of the tuck rule -- it's confusing and, IMO, called pretty inconsistently. If the QB fumbles the ball, it should be a fumble regardless of whether or not his arm is moving forward. As for the challenge rule, I don't really see what the problem is with a coach throwing a flag even if the play was going to be automatically reviewed -- there shouldn't be any penalty for that in my view. What does it hurt? But at least such calls will now still be reviewed -- the previous rule prohibiting review of such plays was simply bizarre.

Re: Competition Committe Proposes Rule Changes

I'm more concerned with this part:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    The Competition Committee will go after RBs who uses the crown of their helmet outside the tackle box. Knew this was coming.
    Competition Committee is basically proposing that runners can't lower their heads when running. Also no peel back blocks, even within tackle box. At least Frank Gore's career is now probably over because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreLarry View Post
    I'm more concerned with this part:

Competition Committee is basically proposing that runners can't lower their heads when running. Also no peel back blocks, even within tackle box. At least Frank Gore's career is now probably over because of it.
    Wow. I hope that doesn't get approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Wow. I hope that doesn't get approved.
    How can you not lower your head? When you lower your shoulder your head automatically comes with it? It's called bracing for a hit, or am I missing something here?

I believe it's in direct response to the Pollard/Ridley hit.

Gotta protect those Pats!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreLarry View Post
    I believe it's in direct response to the Pollard/Ridley hit.

Gotta protect those Pats!
    Too bad we didn't have that rule last year. We'd have gotten the ball plus 15 yards!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    How can you not lower your head? When you lower your shoulder your head automatically comes with it? It's called bracing for a hit, or am I missing something here?
    Lol, sitting here studying my own biology when I look left and right I see maybe 6" to the end of my shoulder(no cracks about my fat head). The pads make your shoulders wider but the helmet makes the head fatter too. Normally you run with a forward body lean and like you said, lean forward to brace for the hit. Maybe they want a Brady style feet forward approach. I don't get it.

Blog Entries

Like the Hound of the Baskervilles, the most interesting part is what isn't there: No change to the rules on offensive holding in the endzone to eliminate the Ravens' dastardly ploy at the end of SB47.