Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    In the salary cap era - every year is a rebuilding year around the core. The Cap doesn't vary much and you still have the ENTIRE roster to pay from it. When you win the SB - not everybody is going to get paid to the level they believe they are worth - it just can't happen.

NE have stayed in the playoff hunt for a decade - following the same plan Oz follows, right player for the right price - do no overpay beyond your irreplaceable core (and not everyone on the roster is irreplaceable).

With Ray retiring, there is not really anyone that is irreplaceable on the D any longer, and as Ray proved to himself several years ago when he shopped himself around - even at the Ravens discounted value for him - he was worth more as a Raven than to any other team.
    I think Ray and Ed have been hurt enough that everyone knows what the defense will look like without them. In most cases they never missed a step.

Kruger turned it on a little this year. He deserved to get paid, but calling him the most dominant player on defense is just silly. Kruger made a couple of plays a game. Out of probably 50 or so defensive snaps. He is a good player, but now that he is going to be showcased and draw double teams I expect him to fall flat on his face. It will be AD all over again. Well maybe not that bad.

Blog Entries

Ravens coach John Harbaugh indicated that Haloti Ngata may play more true nose tackle moving forward.
    "The fact that we’ve added two guys that can play defensive end definitely marks the possibility he could play inside more," said Harbaugh. "Our bellcow in there is Haloti." Ngata has generally played 3-4 end in Baltimore, with Kelly Gregg, Terrence Cody, and most recently Ma'ake Kemoeatu on the nose. The Ravens can now surround him with a rotation of Chris Canty, Arthur Jones, Pernell McPhee, and Marcus Spears, freeing up 6-foot-4, 330-poound Ngata to wreak havoc on the NFL's significantly more undersized centers.
    Pretty much what most people have been thinking would happen. Ngata at nose tackle will be a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Pretty much what most people have been thinking would happen. Ngata at nose tackle will be a good move.
    You beat me to posting this. I agree, this was a move that needed to happen and really solidifies the DL. Ngata will play about 50% of snaps at NT with Cody and/or DeAngelo Tyson backing him up. The ends will be a rotation of Canty/Spears and Jones/McPhee. That's great depth and a good mix of run-stoppers and pass-rushers.

I don't think DL is a big need in the draft anymore outside of perhaps taking a few high-upside guys in the late rounds, so now the Ravens can focus on getting younger and faster at ILB and FS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I don't think DL is a big need in the draft anymore outside of perhaps taking a few high-upside guys in the late rounds, so now the Ravens can focus on getting younger and faster at ILB and FS.
    Classic Ravens moves. They pickup a few budget vets to plug in, so they don't have to reach in the draft. I expect them to sign Dumervil and/or Huff to fill some more holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I would love Purdue's Kawann Short in reserve. Great leverage at his relative short height and terrific feet/quickness.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

The 2012 D was not the shutdown juggernaut we have come to expect from the Ravens.

3 of the losses, the D lost a lead that the Ravens had going into the 2nd half. In a number of the wins, the D in the 2nd half let the games get closer than they should have been. It was time to do a makeover on the D.