Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

Breaking down our defense:

S: Thompson, Ihedigbo
    - Completely depends on if Reed comes back or not. If he doesn't we'll need at least two additions via draft or FA. Kerry Rhodes would be a great stop gap.

CB: Webb, Smith, Graham, Brown, Jackson
    - Getting Webb back will be huge for the defense; however, we are not completely sure how quickly he will be back to 100%. A late draft pick or cheap vet option may be used to ensure more depth. Antoine Cason could be a guy to kick the tires on if he comes cheap.

ILB: McClain, McClellan, Carr, Bynes
    - At least two additions will be needed. I expect a somewhat high draft pick to be spent on this position, as well as a decent FA. Rolando McClain if cut could be a great option.

OLB: Suggs, Upshaw, Hamilton, McAdoo
    - The fact that we have two returning starters is a plus. We will need depth behind them, and I can see at least two additions via draft or FA.

DE: Ngata, Canty, McPhee, Tyson
    - This is probably our deepest position besides CB. We should be fine going into the season with our current DE's.

NT: Cody
    - Ozzie said we need to beef up the middle of our defense in the draft. At least one addition in the draft will be towards a NT/DT. I can also see Oz bringing in a cheap vet for competiton or depth. Alan Branch could be a solid addition through FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    :word

All season people were on here complaining about the D and with good reason at times. Yes they put it together for a playoff run but that is not a great indicator of continued success if they brought everyone back. In essence the Ravens lost 3 overpriced free agents (Kruger/Ellerbe/Reed) and a safety whose strengths no longer match what this team needs. Losing Ray was tough but it was time and out of the control of Ozzie of course.

12 picks in this draft. Likely several good comp picks in the next to address whatever does not work out in this draft. I feel good that in a couple years we will have a young, strong defense to compliment the franchise QB we have and developing offense.
    We got all we could out of Ray in 17 seasons. Best to him and we'll see him in 5 years as a sure 1st ballot HOFer.

I'll say the same for Reed, although it will be one or 2 years later. I hope he doesn't hurt himself in Texas.

Ellerbe and Kruger deserve to be playing in the NFL. While they could prove to be worth the big money they signed for, outside or Miami or Cleveland not many people agree with that. Most importantly the Ravens FO didn't see them as being that valuable.

With a lot of skill and maybe a little luck, we'll fill those holes while getting younger and faster. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Experts opinion that we have a top notch FO that excels at finding talent. I agree with that. Surprisingly, many question and are critical of continued success.

Blog Entries

Adding to the good post by Iscull, here's what I'd do.

S: Sign Kenny Phillips to play FS, and let Ihedigbo and Thompson compete for the starting SS job. Omar Bown will play as the back up FS. Use a 4th round pick on Mathieu (hopefully that's where he'll end up being).

CB: After drafting Mathieu who can play both nickel corner, and free safety, use a 5th round pick on Tharold Simon out of LSU.

ILB: Draft whoever falls to 62 at ILB, that could be Arthur Brown, Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree (very unlikely he falls this far), Khaseen Greene, Manti Te'o (I'd say unlikely that he falls here, but you never know), and a few others. I'm kind of hoping its Greene or Brown as they would be perfect fits for todays game at LB.

OLB: I'd probably try and get Brandon Jenkins out of FSU in the 3rd round to play as the nickel DE/OLB.

DE: Nothing needed here

NT: If Tavon Austin, a legit OT high on the Ravens board, or a an elite defensive prospect isn't sitting at 32, trade back and take Jesse Williams to compete with Cody.

To be honest, this team has been known for years for it's defense. It netted a Superbowl in a different era of playing in 2000. Ironically, the year that the defense was at it's most inconsistent as far as ranking is the year we win it all. With the rule changes in the NFL, a great defense with names on top of names just isn't required to win it all anymore. So they are going with a serviceable defense and riding the offense. '

Listen, in an interview yesterday, Chris Canty was asked why come here when we are losing all of these defensive players? His answer was because you have a QB and with that, every year you have a chance. A defensive guy named a QB as his biggest reason for coming. That should show you something from a player's perspective.

Well said fellas, and this is why I love it here. Great points, And interesting Pick ups. I love The Canty signing to start with, Good vet with a great price. Harbs and Flacco will lead this team. It's time to build the D over. After the Superbowl win, it just seem now is the time. The heart and soul of the D has gone. So sweep the floor and polish it with two draft classes. True we was getting slower, so I'm looking forward to having a Offense in Baltimore, finally, and the D being rebuild to put the fear back in the D.
    I'm for Harrison coming here, as long as he hit Ben full speed. I also like the LB from the jags, Smith.
    But boys here has turned me on to picks like Greene and Brown. I really like Brown to be a Raven.
    This should be fun, and I'm excited to get younger and faster on D. We so need it.

And I would cut Cody.

Blog Entries

Anybody think they might be shopping Suggs or Ngata for draft picks? They seem to be in full rebuild mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Anybody think they might be shopping Suggs or Ngata for draft picks? They seem to be in full rebuild mode.
    Not a chance. (Damn, I probably just jinxed it).

Not unless they got a ridiculous offer. I would think they would want Suggs and Ngata to build around
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

First of all, I'm not upset about the rebuilding the D. It is a dramatic way of doing it, but hey ho. It's for a longer game plan and yes, that may require eating the ball on this season. At the end of the day, the Brady/Peytons are on their way in a year or two - they can dream of playing 'til 40 if they like - and the AFC will really be wide, wide open. Now's a good time to ensure you're top of the pile.

It won't happen. The value they have to us and the cap hit you'd receive wouldn't be worth doing it. You may struggle to get a first rounder for them.

That said, if they both have below-par years next year, their contracts will end up being debated.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't go full swing into "rebuild" mode talk, the Ravens are going to open talks up on Saturday with Harrison's agent. Signing James Harrison, to me, doesn't signal "rebuild" at all.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,4269825.story

People are forgetting that Suggs is still one year off DPOY form, and has a full offseason of recovery and getting into shape, after playing most of the last year anyway. You still got Ngata, you got Webb coming back, and you just signed Chris Canty, you have some cap room to get some role players, and you may sign James Harrison, this along with 12 picks in the draft to work with, the defense could be a lot stronger than you'd think.

Blog Entries
    Full rebuild mode seriously? It's day 3 of free agency.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Adding to the good post by Iscull, here's what I'd do.

S: Sign Kenny Phillips to play FS, and let Ihedigbo and Thompson compete for the starting SS job. Omar Bown will play as the back up FS. Use a 4th round pick on Mathieu (hopefully that's where he'll end up being).

CB: After drafting Mathieu who can play both nickel corner, and free safety, use a 5th round pick on Tharold Simon out of LSU.

ILB: Draft whoever falls to 62 at ILB, that could be Arthur Brown, Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree (very unlikely he falls this far), Khaseen Greene, Manti Te'o (I'd say unlikely that he falls here, but you never know), and a few others. I'm kind of hoping its Greene or Brown as they would be perfect fits for todays game at LB.

OLB: I'd probably try and get Brandon Jenkins out of FSU in the 3rd round to play as the nickel DE/OLB.

DE: Nothing needed here

NT: If Tavon Austin, a legit OT high on the Ravens board, or a an elite defensive prospect isn't sitting at 32, trade back and take Jesse Williams to compete with Cody.
    I like a lot of your suggestions.
    1. Although Phillips was just signed by the Eagles, I would like to have a vet FS on the backend.
    2. Mathieu is going to be a MAJOR playmaker. If we are re-building this defense, we need someone like him who can really change the momentum. The bonus is that he does it w/out bone-jarring hits which is something the league is trying to move towards.
    3. We need a top 5 ILB from the draft along with an FA (Pray for Brad Jones) . I don't trust McClain.
    4. Love the Jenkins pick. An athletic speed rusher in the mid-rounds would be a perfect compliment to Upshaw and replacement for Kruger.
    5. I agree with the selection of a big DT in this draft. It's a deep class and I bet someone falls to us in the late 2nd/early 3rd.