Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

Forget Madden curse, the chic curse now is "Baltimore Player rep curse"

This is dumb, sorry...Foxworth "being evidence" is even worse because MOST OF THE POSTERS ON THIS BOARD SCREAMED AT THE RAVENS FOR KEEPING HIM ON THE ROSTER!!!! Did you WATCH him play in 2011? I was one of his biggest supporters, and he was definitley worse off. Couldn't keep up with even the slower WRs. That ACL tear did him in. There's a reason he never played anywhere again.

But you're right, I'm sure the next player rep will be plotted against from the minute he's elected. That's just the MO of this team, right?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Look, I have kept mum on most of the sky is falling business around here but I am going to break it down.

I will miss Q and any and all of the Ravens who either move on to greener pa$ture$ or are cut by the team. I forgot whom it was that stated the new plan of how the team will build around a franchise QB like New England does, but they were right.

I would like to add to that notion. It has been argued here on another thread that Harrison would be a bad pick up because he is a dirty player. Fair enough. But that type of play, the hitting and trying to dislodge the ball with a "BIG HIT" is going to be going away. Just like the rules have changed from 12 years ago from the Ravens record setting defense, it will evolve in the next 12.

The NFL is fast becoming the arena league. It is all going to become about passing and stopping the pass. WR and DB's are going to be interchangeable pawns with speed. You'll get the occasional anomaly at tight end, but on the whole, there ill be no more "big hits" it is going to become about sure tackling and ripping the ball away from the ball carrier. Hence, players like Pollard are going the way of the dinosaur. Even Ray Lewis is going to be remembered as people think of Butkus and what he got away with decades ago.

The offensive and defensive lines are going to become premium places of cost and action after QB's. This will be one of the last places the game really changes and it will evolve in the way of illegal chop blocks from the o-line and less leeway for defensive line players on hitting the quarterback as is already ever present.

Five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, it is going to turn into almost flag football. Even running back has been devalued over the years. The ability to catch is almost as important as it is to run - Ray Rice/Reggie Bush. This again like the tight end still has a places for players like AP. But overall, this is the progression of the game.

It is my belief, that based upon the evolution of the game, suggestions of the competition committee, the problem with concussions and safty as well as Roger Goodell's comments about making the game safer draw me to this conclusion: Ozzie Newsome thinks along these lines and is building a team to reflect the evolution of the game.

Think outside the box my friends.
    Yes, I agree with this thinking, build up a strong DL and have speed in back of it.......
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    First off, I hate the Pollard move. We lose one of the best enforcers in the business.
    I'd say that on the surface my initial reaction had me scratching my head. We may not ever know exactly why, but I am certain there was a reason since they did not hesitate to make the move. The days of the bully defense we enjoyed for years looks over.

Pollard was a fair coverage guy and I think we can easily match and probably upgrade in that aspect of his game. Hopefully we get better DL play to negate the lose of his hitting. I'll miss the highlight hits, but I won't miss the personal fouls. Both of our safeties had many drive extending flags thrown on them. We just need guys who are sure tacklers, not head hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Yes, I agree with this thinking, build up a strong DL and have speed in back of it.......
    Yeah I think we are going Giantesque with the Canty pick up. I think we will see much more 4 man fronts

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    Yeah I think we are going Giantesque with the Canty pick up. I think we will see much more 4 man fronts
    FYI, we show a lot of 4 man fronts, and in certain games, we play nearly every snap with 4 man fronts (in almost every Patriot game, we barely ever go into a 3-4 base defense).

The Ravens defense is as complex and hybrid as they come, which is why younger players have typically struggled early on playing in it.

Im actually excited to see how this all plays out...perhaps a younger faster version of defense....I just hope they dont abandon the Ravens D swagger that we all have come to expect. I love it when other teams fear our D (or at least when they did) Dont abandon your roots Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    I was going to mention this very thing.
    My most frequently used game day f-bomb last year was... "Man. Our defense is so f-in SLOW!"
    It was literally laughable to me at points.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

A Ngata, Canty and Jones front is gonna be the best we've had in recent years. Suggs and Ngata should be healthier, we will get back Webb at some point, Jimmy looks to be turning the corner and if TL's sources are correct(certaintly looks so)the Ravens want to get younger and faster on defense. I think the way the game has evolved it's certaintly the right thing to do. Now it's time to execute the plan and mix the right coompliment of holdovers, ascending young guys, draft picks and maybe another bargain FA or 2. Im excited about it.

No doubt the defense was aging in in need of a makeover up the middle.

With 12 draft picks, now is the time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    FYI, we show a lot of 4 man fronts, and in certain games, we play nearly every snap with 4 man fronts (in almost every Patriot game, we barely ever go into a 3-4 base defense).

The Ravens defense is as complex and hybrid as they come, which is why younger players have typically struggled early on playing in it.
    Did we ever run Upshaw as DE on front 4 looks?

I was thinking potentially
    4-3
    Suggs - Ngata - Jones - Canty

Nickel
    Suggs - Ngata - Canty - Hamilton/Macadoo/Upshaw/Draft pick/Mchphee

I think someone in house will take care if as a pass rush so a high draft pick isn't necessary. I also think Canty's versatility is a huge benefactor. We could keep him at end and throw McPhee inside. The pass rush potential is great with good run support. Our replacement linebackers just need to play clean up with that dline lol

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    No doubt the defense was aging in in need of a makeover up the middle.

With 12 draft picks, now is the time for it.
    :word

All season people were on here complaining about the D and with good reason at times. Yes they put it together for a playoff run but that is not a great indicator of continued success if they brought everyone back. In essence the Ravens lost 3 overpriced free agents (Kruger/Ellerbe/Reed) and a safety whose strengths no longer match what this team needs. Losing Ray was tough but it was time and out of the control of Ozzie of course.

12 picks in this draft. Likely several good comp picks in the next to address whatever does not work out in this draft. I feel good that in a couple years we will have a young, strong defense to compliment the franchise QB we have and developing offense.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    Did we ever run Upshaw as DE on front 4 looks?

I was thinking potentially
    4-3
    Suggs - Ngata - Jones - Canty

Nickel
    Suggs - Ngata - Canty - Hamilton/Macadoo/Upshaw/Draft pick/Mchphee

I think someone in house will take care if as a pass rush so a high draft pick isn't necessary. I also think Canty's versatility is a huge benefactor. We could keep him at end and throw McPhee inside. The pass rush potential is great with good run support. Our replacement linebackers just need to play clean up with that dline lol
    Upshaw would be a good 4-3 left end that specializes in bullrush and stopping the run, but that would be for a 4-3 based defense like the Seahawks (who typically like power ends on the left side). We aren't going to go to a full time 4-3 base like that because we are still more of a 3-4 team but use a lot of 4-3 concepts at the same time.

I think the Dline will look more along the lines of this.

Base 3-4 formation:

Suggs-Canty/Ngata-Ngata/Cody-Jones/Canty-Upshaw (Depending on whether not they want to move Ngata inside to NT more often)

Nickel defense:

Suggs-Canty-Ngata/McPhee-????

The "???" would represent what Kruger's role in this defense was. Right now, I don't see a player who can be our fulltime left nickel rusher which is what Kruger mainly was. You can say Hamilton could possibly take that role over, but the likelihood is, that he isn't ready for that. We will probably either sign a vet to play there, or draft somebody to fill that role. There is the chance that Upshaw could really improve his pass rush ability over the offseason, but to me, he looks like a slightly more athletic version of Jarrett Johnson (nothing much wrong with that).

We normally use the nickel defense the majority of the time when we play the likes of Denver or New England, where as, as you seen in the SB, we go into our base 3-4 against the likes of the 49ers who are a run first team.