Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    steelerhater is one of the biggest pessimists on this board, I never see him posting here after a win (even the SB) but he pops up when shits going down like this week.
    That sounds like cockroach troll behavior even more than just pessimism. I always question those who only come out to post for losses, or other negative occurrences.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Oh I firmly agree, I was thinking about this on my way into work. Players talk out of both sides of their mouths. It's a game, it's a business. Then they complain about hits, fines then when they retire after making more money and all of us would ever see in our lifetime, they complain about what the game did to them, their bodies.
    That is the guy I was used to arguing with. Football takes years off your life. The way the monopoly the NFL has limits what players can earn, I am always going to be fine with players making as much money as they can. If football was free market for players then maybe I could see your side, but they have a salary cap and the contracts are not guaranteed. No other athletes/ actors or American workers on that level have a worse deal.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    That is the guy I was used to arguing with. Football takes years off your life. The way the monopoly the NFL has limits what players can earn, I am always going to be fine with players making as much money as they can. If football was free market for players then maybe I could see your side, but they have a salary cap and the contracts are not guaranteed. No other athletes/ actors or American workers on that level have a worse deal.
    I'm not knocking it, but tell me, does the fireman, police officer, soldier risk less? No they are among the lowest compensated American's out there. They do a dangerous job because they are called to it, it means something to them. I don't EVER want to hear about some poor ex-athlete that walks with a limp because of nagging injuries while earning hundreds, if not millions of dollars playing a game they voluntarily chose as a career.
    Last edited by Captain Silver; 03-15-2013 at 11:47 AM.

So no way does Suggs get cut next year.
    One could assume, he'll get a deal after his current one, if he remains productive.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...c-87a375e5474b
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    One could assume, he'll get a deal after his current one, if he remains productive.

lol...I don't see how that says there is no way Suggs gets cut.

I'm sure there were glowing articles last year about Boldin's leadership and such.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I'm sure there were glowing articles last year about Boldin's leadership and such.
    Perhaps, I'd have to fish, but I think that unsolicited words from the owner's lips mean way more than what's said during media time. Especially, our owner and how he conducts himself.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

Bisciotti also gave Billick an extension before firing him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Yes, I agree with this thinking, build up a strong DL and have speed in back of it.......
    that is where the game is headed or already is. Control LOS and then have speed on the back end, especially with the new lowering the helmut rule by the ball carrier. Most "open" feild hits will be flags in the future. Ravens know this, that is why they signed two DL man already and are trying to add another one. The Safety position will be the CB position with less responsiblity, the slugger safety is gone from the game now. The LB position will be based more on covering TE and slot guys than handling FB's. Size and power up front and speed in the back, dont let them catch the ball and force smaller windows for QB's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Boldin wasn't a hybrid OLB-DE, Bouleware type player. Newsome has a fetish for those guys.

If Suggs looks like he's lost too much as a consequence of the injuries (I doubt it, but for the sake of argument), Ozzie will cut him next year. I think Boldin was traded because he doesn't fit into the team's plans past this coming year, and his one year price tag was too expensive. If Ozzie thought he could get 2 or 3 years out of Boldin at the level he thinks is necessary, we would have seen an effort to extend Boldin and lower his cap value through the terms of the contract. But the team has made a decision not to create a lot of dead money in the future by extending players they don't intent to keep for the length of the contract.

Suggs is a player I think they do intend to keep in Baltimore over the next 5-6 years, depending on how his health looks. Ngata is another one, imo. The Ravens will be looking to extend them before their contracts are up, especially given the money they get paid in the final year/s.

I hate losing Boldin because he is still a good player, but its a numbers game. The Ravens are set with Smith and Jones, and probably felt they didn't need to spend millions on a 3rd wide out. I'm sure age has a lot to do with that going forward as well.

The defense has been in flux for a few years now. Age caught up to them. They still have the real stars in Ngata and Suggs. I'm sure they can bring in some pieces to cover the losses. Ed and Ray were not playing at all-pro levels, and haven't been for a while now.

It will be a much different defense next season no doubt, but also hopefully a better one. If not the offense isn't going anywhere and that is where the strength of the team has shifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Bisciotti also gave Billick an extension before firing him.
    True, but it's a very different dynamic for a coach than for a player.
    Handle an annoited leader like you did Billick and outside FAs won't want to come here, and FA's on your roster will leave your comparable offer on the table.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

The defense needs rebuilding. The run defense sucked. QBs worth a darn were guaranteed seven yard hitches and ten yard comebacks on one side of the field.....I could go on, but I won't.

17th is unacceptable for a Ravens defense.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore