Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5758596061 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed to Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Whether the Texans knew about this injury, him needing surgery, and/or missing OTAs and training camp, I don't know for certain.

I do know that many Texans fans cited Reed's ability to mentor the younger players and to show them how to prepare as an added benefit of his signing. Not so much.

I agree with MarkS: Love Reed as a player, but the dude definitely marches to his own beat...and I am not sure if it is one you would want younger players to model.
    I agree. Ed Reed is an incredible talent. He isn't one of these try hard guys who has to work his ass off to succeed like a Shannon Sharpe. No young guy is going to be able to do what Ed Reed does. They are much better off learning the proper way to do things from their coaches instead of trying to model their game on a freak of nature.

Re: Ed Reed to Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't know it was possible for someone to...

without having bad spending habits. So how else will a man who has made $55+ million

if you aren't saying he has bad spending habits?

Nobody is reaching.

And sure it's a big topic, but it's ridiculous to automatically assume that a particular player will be broke unless there is behavior to point to that says a player will be broke. Bryant McKinnie will probably be broke. Vince Young will probably be broke. But it's not fair to basically throw a dart at a roster and say that someone will be broke...which is what you just did...just because some others are.
    If you didn't have tunnel vision regarding my off hand comment about being broke within 5 years you would realize there are other reasons someone can lose money that can have little to do with spending habits. A lot of guys are robbed by their agents/lawyers/advisors. Some guys forget or choose not to pay taxes and end up losing money on lawyers and penalties. I'm sure I could think of others if I really gave a fuck. Either way, you made the leap from being broke to criticizing spending habits, so you figure it out.

It's not ridiculous at all considering I have read as high as 80% of players are either broke or are in extreme financial distress after just 3 years. EIGHT out of every TEN. Is is surprising considering most of these guys grow up with little money and then are hit up from every angle after they make it big? At one point Bernie Kosar said he was paying 40 some cell phone bills. If you are surprised that these guys are likely to have financial problems after retirement you simply haven't been paying attention.

Aaaaand speaking of not paying attention, the Texans must not have been paying attention if they were surprised about Reed's hip problems. This is from a January 2010 Sun article when Reed was contemplating retirement...

"Seated in his white SUV in the players' parking lot, the six-time Pro Bowl safety told The Baltimore Sun that he needed to consult with personal doctors about a hip injury before making any career decisions. "

So it seems, at the risk of making a definitive statement, that the hip problems have been going on for a while now.
    Last edited by RavensDomination; 05-07-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said he is concerned about Ed Reed's (hip) recent hip surgery. "Anytime a guy's operated on, you're concerned, especially at this time of year," Phillips said. "If it'd have been right after the season, it'd have been different. So there's a little concern, but the good thing about (Reed), he's experienced it before. He's an experienced guy. You have no problem with him studying or knowing what you're doing. He's going to spend all the time it takes off the field to get ready. So I think Ed'll be ready when it's time."

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    If you didn't have tunnel vision regarding my off hand comment about being broke within 5 years you would realize there are other reasons someone can lose money that can have little to do with spending habits. A lot of guys are robbed by their agents/lawyers/advisors. Some guys forget or choose not to pay taxes and end up losing money on lawyers and penalties. I'm sure I could think of others if I really gave a fuck. Either way, you made the leap from being broke to criticizing spending habits, so you figure it out.
    Dude, you said "he WILL be broke" not "he MIGHT be broke", and the vast majority of players who go broke do so because of their own spending habits, not because their agent rips them off.

So since you're sure Ed will be broke, you must also know why. Please share that info with us.

IMO, it wouldn't surprise me if Ed had $20 million stashed in bank accounts and conservative investments. He doesn't look like a big spender, and he was his own agent for a long time.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

And no way it's 80% of players that go broke.

The ESPN documentary pegged the number at 35% of NFL players end up broke in ten years.

It's not ridiculous at all considering I have read as high as 80% of players are either broke or are in extreme financial distress after just 3 years. EIGHT out of every TEN. Is is surprising considering most of these guys grow up with little money and then are hit up from every angle after they make it big? At one point Bernie Kosar said he was paying 40 some cell phone bills. If you are surprised that these guys are likely to have financial problems after retirement you simply haven't been paying attention.

Aaaaand speaking of not paying attention, the Texans must not have been paying attention if they were surprised about Reed's hip problems. This is from a January 2010 Sun article when Reed was contemplating retirement...

"Seated in his white SUV in the players' parking lot, the six-time Pro Bowl safety told The Baltimore Sun that he needed to consult with personal doctors about a hip injury before making any career decisions. "

So it seems, at the risk of making a definitive statement, that the hip problems have been going on for a while now.
    Interesting, would be even more interesting if you had a source.

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    Interesting, would be even more interesting if you had a source.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...ine/MAG1153364

According to SI, 78% of NFL players are either bankrupt or under financial stress within two years of retirement. I did not see a definition of "financial stress" in the article.

Keep in mind that most NFL players don't make enough money to truly "retire" on, and a lot of them are probably not going to find well-paying jobs. So unless someone has done a study of the top-tier players, these statistics would be highly suspect if applied to the guys who've made millions playing football.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

It's not ridiculous at all considering I have read as high as 80% of players are either broke or are in extreme financial distress after just 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And no way it's 80% of players that go broke.

The ESPN documentary pegged the number at 35% of NFL players end up broke in ten years.
    seems some things are getting mixed up...
    By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress.
    Per ESPN "going broke".

These numbers are a little misleading though, because they include every player to ever play in the NFL i believe, including PS players that dont make much more than a civilian @ 90k, certainly not enough to retire on.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Keep in mind that most NFL players don't make enough money to truly "retire" on, and a lot of them are probably not going to find well-paying jobs. So unless someone has done a study of the top-tier players, these statistics would be highly suspect if applied to the guys who've made millions playing football.
    There certainly are some big name guys that have made millions and lost it but i think youre correct that its nowhere near 80% of the highest paid being in financial trouble that quick.

I dont see why one would generalize that to Reed against evidence of the contrary however.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I'm not surprised that a lot of them go broke or deal with financial issues.

Living that "lifestyle" is costly.

For the life of me, I don't know why guys insist on having 30 cars, multi-million dollar mansions that cost 5 grand a month to heat/cool on top of a 10-20K/month mortgage payment...just dumb.

If you are making 40-50 mill guaranteed, buy a nice house, up front so you don't owe anything on it, buy a practical vehicle and a fun vehicle, take care of your immediate family (kids college tuition, etc) and invest the rest.

How is that hard? Nobody needs a Range Rover in every color.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'd imagine most of those players going broke are not the star players. I'd bet the vast majority of those players never make more than 5 or 6 million over their career and that's before taxes.

It's kind of like that "average NFL career length is 3.5years" statement.

Yes that number is true...but it takes into account the 25-30 or so undrafted or late round draft picks per team that never make it out of training camp.

The real number for players who make the 53 roster is around 6 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'd imagine most of those players going broke are not the star players. I'd bet the vast majority of those players never make more than 5 or 6 million over their career and that's before taxes.

It's kind of like that "average NFL career length is 3.5years" statement.

Yes that number is true...but it takes into account the 25-30 or so undrafted or late round draft picks per team that never make it out of training camp.

The real number for players who make the 53 roster is around 6 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Even the star players that got paid a ton are going broke. Chris McAlister declared bankruptcy after making over 50 mil from the Ravens. Vince Young got a 26 mil signing bonus, and he's broke now.

They just blow their money being idiots.